The Black Bat series MEGATHREAD!

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by DynamitePulpReader View Post
    This title has me more excited than anything at the moment.
    Me too. I hope it does well, but the roster of double gun-wielding pulp characters is getting pretty deep. I hope he doesn't get overlooked.

Anyone ever read his original stories? I recently picked up the first volume and read two of three that are included. They're pretty cool.

Comment

Well, I'm betting The Black Bat will do okay, probably a bit better than The Spider or Miss Fury. People will be silly and write him off as a Batman clone, but all of us here will know better than that and the pulp comics movement is really doing quite well in 2013. I'm betting that the orders level off at about 6 or 7k, which would be more than enough to keep it going for quite some time.
      Dynamite Entertainment
      Forum Administrator

Check out Dynamite on Twitter here!

Comment

I think we a should go to our comic book retailers and demand they order copies of this book and hope they order a hefty amount. I've learned a long time ago that if you nudge the comic shop owners a bit theyll listen as long as your demands arent too unreasonable. Any which way I will be ordering this book and will probably buy 3 copies to show my support, I will keep one and give the others away to people who I think may enjoy the series.

Comment

Originally posted by Chadster View Post
          Any which way I will be ordering this book and will probably buy 3 copies to show my support, I will keep one and give the others away to people who I think may enjoy the series.
          That's the kind of proactive approach that may actually have an impact. Good show, Chadster.
          DE pull list: Will Eisner's The Spirit: The Corpse Makers, ERB's The Greatest Adventure, Green Hornet '66 Meets The Spirit, PSP: Herokillers, KISS/Vampirella, Mighty Mouse

Comment

Originally posted by Captain Canuck View Post
            Anyone ever read his original stories? I recently picked up the first volume and read two of three that are included. They're pretty cool.
            I'll take the lack of response as a "no".

If you want to, give this thing a look:

http://www.altuspress.com/projects/t...ibus-volume-1/

Good stuff.
            Last edited by Captain Canuck; 04-22-2013, 08:02 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Captain Canuck View Post
              I'll take the lack of response as a "no".

If you want to, give this thing a look:

http://www.altuspress.com/projects/t...ibus-volume-1/

Good stuff.
              I've read that. I have to say that Dynamite's Black Bat (not the one appearing in MASKS) doesn't seem too close to the original, which worries me.
              DE pull list: Will Eisner's The Spirit: The Corpse Makers, ERB's The Greatest Adventure, Green Hornet '66 Meets The Spirit, PSP: Herokillers, KISS/Vampirella, Mighty Mouse

Comment

Originally posted by positronic View Post
                I've read that. I have to say that Dynamite's Black Bat (not the one appearing in MASKS) doesn't seem too close to the original, which worries me.
                I think it's a good thing. Most of the fans of the old school pulps either don't know/care about the character anymore or are dead, so updating the character for a modern day is absolutely needed whether he's in a past or present setting. If all the pulp characters were exactly as they were back in their glory days than I think people would probably pass on these books instead of giving them the chance they deserve.

Comment

Originally posted by manga4life View Post
                  Most of the fans of the old school pulps either don't know/care about the character anymore or are dead
                  Have a little patience, I'll get there.

Comment

Originally posted by manga4life View Post
                    I think it's a good thing. Most of the fans of the old school pulps either don't know/care about the character anymore or are dead, so updating the character for a modern day is absolutely needed whether he's in a past or present setting. If all the pulp characters were exactly as they were back in their glory days than I think people would probably pass on these books instead of giving them the chance they deserve.
                    Well, set in the modern day, the character should probably have a modern day origin anyway, right? The Masks version's origin is pretty close to the original so if they want to deviate somewhat with the modern version, I guess so be it.

The part I'm a little concerned about is that the current Bat will have been a mob lawyer prior to becoming the Bat. I want to see how they handle his motivation beyond just getting revenge on the people who "blind" him.

Comment

My concern is that the Black Bat was already (in the pulp era) kind of a response to the pulps losing sales to comic books, and thus he is conceptually already skirting the line between "pulp hero" and "superhero". By doing away with the 1940s setting, and just giving him the standard superhero skintight costume, he becomes almost indistinguishable from dozens of other superheroes being published today. Other than carrying handguns, that's what the 'modern' version of the Black Bat strikes me as.

Comment

I'm not concerned, im excited! Im very excited to get Black Bat no1 when it comes out, just another pulp character added to my monthly list via the amazing Dynamite! Love them!

Comment

Originally posted by TheTerror View Post
                          I'm not concerned, im excited! Im very excited to get Black Bat no1 when it comes out, just another pulp character added to my monthly list via the amazing Dynamite! Love them!
                          I'm with ya', bro! Just give me some solo series Black Bat with some violence, a fun story, some decent art (Cliquet....) and I'm going to be a happy man! I just hope the book finds success and continues ongoing without any bumps in the road, I hate bumps in the road.......

Issue #1 is right around the corner.

Comment

Look forward to it. As a long time Batman fan utterly dissatisfied with those books right now, I'm really enjoying Dynamite's influx of pulp books for a change of pace.

Comment

The Black Bat #1 spoilers

I got this from my local comic book store early, as he likes to hook me up, and I must say that Cliquet's art has dramatically improved. Like 10 fold. It's illustrated quite nicely and the story presented in issue #1 is really quite engaging. It starts off with Black Bat talking about the city and beating up bad guys before going into normal life mode for a bit which gives us some direction as to who he is as a person, then it switches to him hunting someone down and putting someone in danger while in the process. I really think the pulp fans here will like it quite a bit and I hope that this book does well and sticks around for a good long time, let's spread the word about Black Bat #1 and make this book a success!

Comment

I want this so bad and really hope my shop orders it or im getting it online. Glad to hear about the art, his art on Green hornet was horrible but artists can adapt and change

I hope its action-packed!

Comment

Working...
                                X