X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Comic Vine: Exclusive Extended Preview: THE BLACK BAT #1

Comment

Originally posted by manga4life View Post
      ...going into normal life mode for a bit which gives us some direction as to who he is as a person, ...
      Which relieved my concerns about the character's motivation. He's not a bad guy who went good because he was done wrong. It's not that simple, and that's good.

Comment

1. Great Concept: It was neat to see where some of Batman, Dr Mid-Nite, Daredevil, etc concepts came from.

2. Great Writer: Brian has really grown as a writer. I love his work on Flash but this was amazing.

3. Great Art: It reminded me of Scott McDaniel's "style" which I really enjoy.

4. Great Character: I know most of the pulp era heroes like The Shadow/Green Hornet/The Spider/Etc. It was cool to "discover" a hero I was not familiar with. I also liked that he had a "costume" instead of the hat & trench coat look that a lot of the original pulp heroes had.

Comment

It's funny just how many things that today's superheroes have borrowed from pulp characters thought the years, this Black Bat character is definitely a huge case in point. Batman, Daredevil, and many others are definitely represented here and there really is a direct connection between pulp and superhero, it's really quite cool when you think about it.

Comment

From what I've read on Wikipedia, Batman's case is more disputed. But definitely see Daredevil's roots here.

Comment

Well, there were multiple Black Bat's back in the 30's and the one Dynamite is publishing currently is the same one that was involved with the Batman court cases. Apparently, the then big wig of DC offered the creators of Black Bat (this version) a hefty sum to keep Batman just the way he was, thus silently proving that Batman more or less copied The Black Bat otherwise he wouldn't have offered to settle if there was nothing worth settling for.

As for the book, it was really good and I love that Ronan's art style has shifted to something that was really good from what he was doing on Green Hornet some months back. A big "great job" goes out to him.
              Dynamite Entertainment
              Forum Administrator

Check out Dynamite on Twitter here!

Comment

Picked up Black Bat #1 today and I have to admit I'm hooked! For a first issue, Buccellato did an excellent job in setting the stage for the series (especially for a character that I was unfamiliar with) and Cliquet's art worked nicely with the mood set by the writer. I do, however, think that a second reading is encouraged in order to soak in everything (...is that a bad thing?). Can't wait for the next issue!

Also, I've just recently jumped on the Dynamite Pulp train (loving Wagner/Torres' The Shadow:Year One) and can't wait to try out more (...anything you guys recommend for a Dynamite pulp newbie?)

Comment

Originally posted by Kmanifesto View Post
                  I do, however, think that a second reading is encouraged in order to soak in everything (...is that a bad thing?).
                  I feel the same way. I enjoyed it as I was reading it, but going over it again helped me get the timeline figured out better.

Just noticed that was your first post. Welcome aboard, Kmanifesto.

Comment

thought this was a great first issue. curious to see how the character of The Black Bat unfolds. and i too can see shades of Daredevil and a little Batman.

Comment

Agreed. A second read through (and third) is usually always standard for me, I've read this book 4 times since Monday to be exact.

Welcome to the pulp comics family, Black Bat. Enjoy your stay!

Comment

Originally posted by manga4life View Post
                        Welcome to the pulp comics family, Black Bat. Enjoy your stay!
                        And make it a lengthy one.

Comment

qwertyuiop
                          Click image for larger version

Name:	BB_KA.2b.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	35.8 KB
ID:	48773
                          DE pull list: Will Eisner's The Spirit: The Corpse Makers, ERB's The Greatest Adventure, Green Hornet '66 Meets The Spirit, PSP: Herokillers, KISS/Vampirella, Mighty Mouse

Comment

Oy. Haven't heard many good things about that flick...

Comment

Originally posted by Captain Canuck View Post
                              Just noticed that was your first post. Welcome aboard, Kmanifesto.
                              Thanks for the welcome!

Comment

This comic was awesome!!!!!!! I loved the dark art and feel and the violence it was true pulp for sure! This book better last a long time. Imagine batman and daredevil on Monster drinks

Comment

Working...
                                X