No announcement yet.

The Doc Savage series MEGATHREAD!

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Just realized that the Milenium books were 20 years ago. The 1988 DC series was okay but it brought hi the the 'present'. I forgot about the Dark Horse stuff. but it looks pretty good. Mile High comics lists a couple of TPBs from Altus called Horrors in Gold and Desert Demons as coming out in 2012 and a DC Showcase piece in 2011. Anybody know anything about them. I'd guess that the DC one is a reprint of their 1988 mini series.
    Always remember, Murphy was an optimist
    Munchkin 1, 2, 4, 7 Super Munchkin 1&2, Munchkin Bites 1&2, Munchkin Fu, Star Munchkin Deluxe and Star 2
    http://ghornet.deviantart.com/

Comment

Originally posted by Scott M Davis View Post
      Savage would need a Year One before he could in properly integrated in DEU. I have always been sketchy on his origin and power set.
      He was raised by a bunch of scientists to be the most perfectly developed example of humanity in mind and body, and has devoted himself to the service of mankind. He's a polymath genius, with multiple degrees and specialties in everything from neurosurgery to electrical engineering. He isn't an alien, mutant, or cyborg and he doesn't have any "powers". He IS really smart and strong, all within human limits, of course.
      Last edited by positronic; 12-29-2012, 11:19 AM.
      DE pull list: Will Eisner's The Spirit: The Corpse Makers, ERB's The Greatest Adventure, Green Hornet '66 Meets The Spirit, PSP: Herokillers, KISS/Vampirella, Mighty Mouse

Comment

Originally posted by positronic View Post
        He was raised by a bunch of scientists to be the most perfectly developed example of humanity in mind and body, and has devoted himself to the service of mankind. He's a polymath genius, with multiple degrees and specialties in everything from neurosurgery to electrical engineering. He isn't an alien, mutant, or cyborg and he doesn't have any "powers". He IS really smart and strong, all within human limits, of course.
        I think he can very easily described as "the perfect human". At least for me that was enough. He's the best we can possibly be.

Comment

So he's a douche then? :P

Comment

So he's a douche then? :P
            When it comes to the pulp characters, it isn't about "origins" and "power sets". You won't get any relevant answers about what makes these characters great by asking questions along those lines, because that's a preoccupation that strictly "comic book thinking". I don't know how else to explain it. Sure they have backstory details that make them unique from other characters, but there's a lot of generic-ness there too. The unique flavor of the character doesn't come out from boiling the description down to a few lines of data. Most of the greatness of these characters came from the writing style of the authors, in the way that they were able to absolutely convince the reader of things that may sound silly when just flatly stated. So yeah, it's kind of hard to explain what makes Doc Savage a great character to someone completely unfamiliar to him.
            DE pull list: Will Eisner's The Spirit: The Corpse Makers, ERB's The Greatest Adventure, Green Hornet '66 Meets The Spirit, PSP: Herokillers, KISS/Vampirella, Mighty Mouse

Comment

When it comes to the pulp characters, it isn't about "origins" and "power sets". You won't get any relevant answers about what makes these characters great by asking questions along those lines, because that's a preoccupation that strictly "comic book thinking". I don't know how else to explain it. Sure they have backstory details that make them unique from other characters, but there's a lot of generic-ness there too. The unique flavor of the character doesn't come out from boiling the description down to a few lines of data. Most of the greatness of these characters came from the writing style of the authors, in the way that they were able to absolutely convince the reader of things that may sound silly when just flatly stated. So yeah, it's kind of hard to explain what makes Doc Savage a great character to someone completely unfamiliar to him.
              I was looking up novels on The Spider and was surprised how much he looked like The Shadow minus the scraf.

Comment

I was looking up novels on The Spider and was surprised how much he looked like The Shadow minus the scraf.
                Exactly. And what you saw on the cover was totally a ploy on the publisher's part to confuse or at least seduce readers of the The Shadow, who was the first and most popular hero among the single-character magazines. Oddly enough, The Spider as described in the novels themselves didn't resemble the cover paintings much. He is heavily made-up, like a vigilante Lon Chaney Sr. Ugly, fanged, and wearing a white fright wig and false hunchback, The Spider's disguise was designed to look frightening, not heroic. Just like the covers, that description was a little too over-the-top for the general public, so the makers of the movie serial of The Spider just covered his face with a mask. The web pattern design they used for the mask and cape was a likely inspiration for the later Spider-Man, just as Stan Lee admitted he always liked the name and idea The Spider as the basis for a hero.

Comment

I do like the look of The Spider in Masks, and his own series.

But as for Doc Savage, I think making him interesting to new audiences is gonna be hard.

Comment

It's... you take a thing completely out of it's time, and it's hard to explain the impact of it at the time, in its own historical context. For one thing, so much has come along since that time, that has been influenced by that thing. There is a lot of Doc Savage to be found in things like Challengers of the Unknown and the Fantastic Four. Doc Savage has frequently been cited as an influence on Jerry Siegel and Joe Shuster in creating Superman, and from today's perspective it's really hard for people to see that connection.

The best thing is to just read one (or more) of the novels. Then, either you "get it" or you don't.

Comment

The Spider's look in the recent comics is very much like his costume from the 1938 movie serial and I'm, personally, not very fond of it.

Tim Truman had a great couple of SPIDER comic series back in the 90's through Eclipse and Moonstone (who Dynamite seems to like to yoink characters away from) offered up some great SPIDER related stuff.

Comment

I wouldn't mind seeing Tim Truman do a Spider series for Dynamite, set in the 1938 Masks universe (or even just some covers). The problem is that the pulp cover image of The Spider is just way too close, visually, to The Shadow. Easy to see why Dynamite wanted them both to look visually distinctive. Anyway, Dynamite's look is no less faithful to the original pulp cover look than Truman's Eclipse series was. What the heck, hire Dan Brereton and get him to do some Spider for Dynamite, too.

Comment

When is Dynamite going to get Doc Savage?

I mean seriously? What the fuck? A Doc Savage comic by Dynamite would be fantastic. Come on Nick! Get it sorted eh?

Comment

i'd read it! i thought the previous series from DC was pretty decent. Doc needs a home.

Comment

Other than The Shadow, Doc Savage would be the most recognizable name in the splinter genre of comics based on pulp fiction heroes (note that names like Green Hornet, Lone Ranger and Zorro are mainly recognizable to people from radio, television and movies), and so would likely have the best chance of succeeding in the brutally competitive comic book marketplace of today. Since DE already has a relationship with Advance Magazines through their license of The Shadow, Doc Savage is the logical next step. Perhaps part of the reason The Spider didn't ultimately succeed in the marketplace is that he's TOO similar to the better-known Shadow.
                              Last edited by pulphero; 08-19-2013, 04:33 PM.

Comment

I'd rather Dynamite not gain access to another pulp hero, they push a maxi-series as an ongoing, it gets canned a little over a year in and then hangs in limbo while the fans suffer with no new material. I've lost faith in Dynamite, they've done ok with Lone Ranger and Hornet, but faltered on The Spider & The Phantom in my eyes. I'd rather Moonstone require and give us new stuff at a slower pace then nothing at all.
                                The Phantom was the one that killed my backing of Dynamite, they left it at such a cliffhanger, and nothing, no sign of the character for some time now. And then we're getting one in Kings Watch, but which one? Just disappointed in the handling of these great heroes that come in and out through the generations.
                                Heck even Dark Horse is starting to pull some golden agers to the modern tellings with Capt. Midnight and the neo-pulp Black Beetle.

Comment

Working...
                                X