Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

The Doc Savage series MEGATHREAD!

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • #31
    Doc Savage and The Avenger are two books people seem to want Dynamite to get, I'd be on board for either and would happily purchase them.

    Go get em' Dynamite!

    Comment


    • #32
      In His Era

      I'd love to see Dynamite get Doc if they kept himin the 30's and 40's. Admidly you've propebly have to play down some of the attitudes and such, but I think Matt Wagner would be great on Doc Savage.
      Always remember, Murphy was an optimist
      Munchkin 1, 2, 4, 7 Super Munchkin 1&2, Munchkin Bites 1&2, Munchkin Fu, Star Munchkin Deluxe and Star 2
      http://ghornet.deviantart.com/

      Comment


      • #33
        There were rumors in the ether than Dynamite already has Doc... but I doubt they are true. Say what you want about Dynamite, but when they get a property they get their use out of it. They wouldn't sit on Doc, not with the number of freelance writers and artists they have access to.

        Besides the subtle reference to Doc in Masks #4 (it's the one where they infiltrate the Empire State Building and the Shadow wishes the man who inhabits the penthouse suite wasn't out of the country at the time.)

        Comment


        • #34
          Originally posted by PulpCrazy View Post
          There were rumors in the ether than Dynamite already has Doc... but I doubt they are true. Say what you want about Dynamite, but when they get a property they get their use out of it. They wouldn't sit on Doc, not with the number of freelance writers and artists they have access to.
          Well, they did sit for a couple of years after announcing they'd acquired the rights to Mandrake, who's only making his first appearance in Kings Watch next month. Unlike Flash Gordon and The Phantom, Mandrake never got a Dynamite series of his own (hopefully there will be one down the road sometime after Kings Watch).

          If Dynamite did have the rights to Doc Savage, they may be waiting to align just the right creative team (a big name writer always helps) with timing for a launch where they can have a big publicity splash. I can't see them launching Doc in some crossover series like Masks.
          Last edited by pulphero; 08-30-2013, 12:02 AM.

          Comment


          • #35
            I'm feeling like Dynamite may announce this book at the next big convention, or if not this book than something else within the pulp line. They've been releasing a crazy amount of stuff lately so maybe they're just pacing themselves for the right time......?

            Comment


            • #36
              Sure, we ALL want Doc Savage!!

              Yeah, I would like to see DE get Doc Savage, too.

              Set in the '40's ... and after establishing Doc... have the team-up we've all been waiting for--- even if it is in a six issue series:

              Doc Savage meets .....THE SHADOW!!

              Then, maybe after a couple of adventures together... add THE GREEN HORNET to the mix.

              Then, ....the only other guy to add to this group would be THE AVENGER!!

              That would be...should be....enough for any pulp noir' fan.

              DOC SAVAGE
              THE SHADOW
              THE AVENGER
              AND...GREEN HORNET!!


              That should blow the socks off any fan.

              Let Alex Ross do the covers and some interiors on a book like that.
              Last edited by magnoanddavey; 09-04-2013, 02:36 AM.

              Comment


              • #37
                Originally posted by magnoanddavey View Post
                Yeah, I would like to see DE get Doc Savage, too.

                Set in the '40's ... and after establishing Doc... have the team-up we've all been waiting for--- even if it is in a six issue series:

                Doc Savage meets .....THE SHADOW!!

                Then, maybe after a couple of adventures together... add THE GREEN HORNET to the mix.

                Then, ....the only other guy to add to this group would be THE AVENGER!!

                That would be...should be....enough for any pulp noir' fan.

                DOC SAVAGE
                THE SHADOW
                THE AVENGER
                AND...GREEN HORNET!!


                That should blow the socks off any fan.

                Let Alex Ross do the covers and some interiors on a book like that.

                Doc meets the Shadow has been done a couple times before (Dark Horse and DC). The right creative team can make it more than a showcase of "what is similar between the two characters" plot line (usually featuring two of the main baddies that each character is known to face--in Doc's case they always drag out John Sunlight, only villain to face down Doc in the pulps twice--therefore his "ARCH nemesis", who was chopped up a lot at the end of his second pulp story appearance) that one often sees in crossover stories.

                As a comic, Doug Moench's run on the B&W Doc Savage magazine published by Marvel in the 1970s was the high point--self-contained graphic novels each month--Doug M. knew how to emulate the Lester Dent formula of what made Doc Savage great! Thank you DC Comics for publishing the DC Showcase: Doc Savage--all the stories in one volume!

                Doc was the celebrity hero way before Mr. Fantastic and Tony Stark ever appeared on the scene. Doc's entourage was a group of scrappy scientists who often argued amongst themselves (like Human Torch and Thing do). Doc operated out of a well-known skyscraper, so everyone who needed his help could find him (another Fantastic Four connection). Many compare Doc to Batman (utility vest was before the utility belt, training from youth for life of danger, martial arts, CSI type detective skills, defined mission for stopping evil). Many compare Doc to Superman (no powers but muscular development that is an envy of all, Doc had original Fortress of Solitude--Supes comics copied that name). Many compare Doc to Dirk Pitt, James Bond and Indiana Jones for the international danger/adventures that Doc would often participate. Doc Savage is my favorite pulp character. DE should bring back Doc because he is a good character not just because he is a pulp character.

                Comment


                • #38
                  Originally posted by pulphero View Post
                  Well, they did sit for a couple of years after announcing they'd acquired the rights to Mandrake, who's only making his first appearance in Kings Watch next month. Unlike Flash Gordon and The Phantom, Mandrake never got a Dynamite series of his own (hopefully there will be one down the road sometime after Kings Watch).

                  If Dynamite did have the rights to Doc Savage, they may be waiting to align just the right creative team (a big name writer always helps) with timing for a launch where they can have a big publicity splash. I can't see them launching Doc in some crossover series like Masks.
                  I think Mandrake was acquired at the same time as Flash Gordon. And with all due respect to Mandrake, he is not a solo character (unlike Flash Gordon and the Phantom). I can see why they didn't put out a Mandrake comic, there is very little value in a solo title.

                  Comment


                  • #39
                    Originally posted by PulpCrazy View Post
                    I think Mandrake was acquired at the same time as Flash Gordon. And with all due respect to Mandrake, he is not a solo character (unlike Flash Gordon and the Phantom). I can see why they didn't put out a Mandrake comic, there is very little value in a solo title.
                    Not a solo character? Then how is it he had his own newspaper comic strip from 1934 to present, his own movie serial and radio show (even The Phantom never got a radio show) back in the golden age? It's true he hasn't been as popular as Flash Gordon and the Phantom in comic books and movies and television of the last 50 years, but all of the King Features adventure heroes are struggling along today, compared to the huge popularity and recognition they had in the first half of the 20th century. It's hard to realize NOW, but basically all of the magic-using characters of comic books (from Zatara and Zatanna to Doctor Strange) owe their existence to Mandrake and Chandu the Magician.

                    Defenders of the Earth was the exception, not the rule -- the only time in his long history that Mandrake was NOT a solo character.

                    Comment


                    • #40
                      FLASH GORDON, THE PHANTOM, and MANDRAKE: All King Feature Syndicate characters (hence the name "King's Watch")

                      DOC SAVAGE and THE SHADOW are Conde Nast characters.

                      EDIT: It would help if I read ALL the comments. I see this was mentioned already.

                      Ignore me...I'll just go back to...being oblivious and...yeah.

                      OH! One more thing: Although George Trendle created both THE LONE RANGER and THE GREEN HORNET, he sold off the rights separately in the 50's which is why they can never come right out and say they are related in the comics, just hint at it.

                      Now, from what I understand, he sold LONE RANGER and SGT. PRESTON OF THE YUKON together so, that would be a pretty neat crossover, yeah? Although it probably wouldn't work, time-wise.
                      Last edited by LetsRollKato; 09-04-2013, 08:50 PM.

                      Comment


                      • #41
                        Here's an interesting text piece on the subject of licensing etc. of you're curious:

                        http://books.google.com/books?id=GYU...d%20by&f=false

                        Comment


                        • #42
                          Originally posted by LetsRollKato View Post
                          Now, from what I understand, he sold LONE RANGER and SGT. PRESTON OF THE YUKON together so, that would be a pretty neat crossover, yeah?
                          Splendid idea.

                          Comment


                          • #43
                            George W. Trendle created corporations to exploit his radio characters: "The Green Hornet, Inc.", "The Lone Ranger, Inc.", and "Sergeant Preston of the Yukon, Inc." It's true that in the late 1950s, the latter two of these corporations were sold to the Wrather Corporation. Both are now owned by Classic Media. Green Hornet licensing is handled by Loeb & Loeb LLP, but whether they are the actual owners or merely an intellectual property legal management company, I was unable to determine. I know that the Trendle estate was still involved with the property back in the 1990s.

                            Sergeant Preston began as the radio show Challenge of the Yukon in 1938, before he got star billing in the title of the show in 1951. Just as Trendle had reconfigured elements of his original success, The Lone Ranger, to create the Green Hornet, he kept certain proven elements in the story of Sgt. Preston. Like the Lone Ranger, Preston started out to bring the man who murdered his father (instead of brother) to justice. (Ironically, Jay Michael, the first actor to portray Sgt. Preston on the radio, had played the role of Butch Cavendish on The Lone Ranger radio program.) To bring his father's killer to justice, Preston joined the Royal Canadian Mounted Police (which, in a way, is sort of like the Texas Rangers). The story was set in the Canadian Yukon Territory in the 1890s, a frontier setting not unlike the old west. Just as the Lone Ranger relied heavily on the loyalty and intelligence of his horse Silver, Preston relied heavily on the loyalty and intelligence of his Alaskan husky Yukon King. Lone Ranger and Green Hornet both had ethnic assistants, and Sgt. Preston was frequently assisted by a French-Canadian wilderness guide named Pierre.

                            I guess if the Lone Ranger can have a crossover adventure with Zorro, a slightly older Ranger could meet Sergeant Preston. Although the Lone Ranger 'ranged' far and wide in the American Southwest, he seldom ventured as far north as Canada (although there were some adventures that took place on the borderline). In order for the two to meet, one of them is going to be slightly out of his element. The Ranger in the Yukon? Or a mountie in the American Southwest?
                            Last edited by pulphero; 09-05-2013, 05:14 AM.

                            Comment


                            • #44
                              Originally posted by pulphero View Post
                              Not a solo character? Then how is it he had his own newspaper comic strip from 1934 to present, his own movie serial and radio show (even The Phantom never got a radio show) back in the golden age? It's true he hasn't been as popular as Flash Gordon and the Phantom in comic books and movies and television of the last 50 years, but all of the King Features adventure heroes are struggling along today, compared to the huge popularity and recognition they had in the first half of the 20th century. It's hard to realize NOW, but basically all of the magic-using characters of comic books (from Zatara and Zatanna to Doctor Strange) owe their existence to Mandrake and Chandu the Magician.

                              Defenders of the Earth was the exception, not the rule -- the only time in his long history that Mandrake was NOT a solo character.
                              A Mandrake the Magician series wouldn't last 4 issues. There is just so little interest in him.

                              Flash Gordon and the Phantom, yeah they could carry a mini series just fine I think. I don't think their ongoing titles sold that well.

                              In order for Mandrake to succeed today, you would need him in a team setting. He couldn't carry a book on his own successfully. That's all I meant.

                              Comment


                              • #45
                                Originally posted by pulphero View Post
                                In order for the two to meet, one of them is going to be slightly out of his element. The Ranger in the Yukon? Or a mountie in the American Southwest?
                                Both! Start at one, complete the story at the other!

                                Someone get Ande Parks on here!

                                Comment

                                Working...
                                X