No announcement yet.

The Doc Savage series MEGATHREAD!

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hear! Hear! Let's have the Lone Ranger/Yukon King crossover! Better yet, a Lone Ranger annual, a Sgt. Preston special, and a Green Hornet annual tying in elements of plot that spans the generations!

I am hoping for a Phantom/Lord of the Jungle story and a Flash Gordon/Buck Rogers crossover from DE! Fans have demanded these crossovers for years/decades. It would garner outside-the-comic-buying media attention if done right.

Doc Savage brought in by the authorities (maybe Operator 5 and an aging G-8 and his Battle Aces) to curtail the violent vigilantes in Masks (Shadow, Spider, Zorro, and Miss Fury). Of course, Green Hornet is widely known as a mob boss... That would be my pulp dreams!

Comment

Despite it being a pretty good story, I didn't quite get how the Lone Ranger had an adventure "with" (they never actually met) Zorro. At least not the Don Diego Zorro. Don Diego would be well over a hundred years old by the time Dan Reid became the Ranger.

Taking the characters of Sgt. Preston and the Ranger out of their elements would be fun. It'd be easier for LR to go North than it would for SGT.P to come to the states becaus Preston'd have no jurisdiction here whereas the Ranger, while CALLED the Lone Ranger, isn't technically a Ranger anymore.

Comment

Originally posted by PulpCrazy View Post
        A Mandrake the Magician series wouldn't last 4 issues. There is just so little interest in him.

Flash Gordon and the Phantom, yeah they could carry a mini series just fine I think. I don't think their ongoing titles sold that well.

In order for Mandrake to succeed today, you would need him in a team setting. He couldn't carry a book on his own successfully. That's all I meant.
        I could see a miniseries (four or five issues), just to establish the character's background history and status quo for people, now that he's been introduced in Kings Watch. But I take your point, he's not nearly as recognizable to the public these days as Flash or Phantom - so definitely no ongoing series.

Comment

Be prepared....Dynamite has announced the rights to Doc!....you'll get a maxi-series then the character won't sell huge right away and it will be cancelled leaving you hanging for your favorite character to be lost in rights holding limbo by a company who 'loves the character' but won't produce a comic because they can't turn a buck.

My vote give it to Moonstone, won't be on time but at least they will stick with it for true love of the material not just to bankroll.

Sorry after hearing of the Spider's cancellation and the Phantom being ditched after a year I've lost all faith in Dynamites 'love and respect' for my favorite pulp heroes.

Comment

Originally posted by jmaxwell522 View Post
            My vote give it to Moonstone, won't be on time but at least they will stick with it for true love of the material not just to bankroll.

Sorry after hearing of the Spider's cancellation and the Phantom being ditched after a year I've lost all faith in Dynamites 'love and respect' for my favorite pulp heroes.
            Jesus...Be upset at Dynamite all you want, I certainly understand, but please don't refer to Moonstone as a viable alternative. They never completed the 3-part Northern Guard mini and most of their "Return of the Originials" hype amounted to nothing. I was looking forward, years ago now, to finding out what they'd do with The Black Bat and it turned out to be precious little.

Comment

Originally posted by jmaxwell522 View Post
              Be prepared....Dynamite has announced the rights to Doc!....you'll get a maxi-series then the character won't sell huge right away and it will be cancelled leaving you hanging for your favorite character to be lost in rights holding limbo by a company who 'loves the character' but won't produce a comic because they can't turn a buck.

I have to agree with Captain Canuck on this one. Say all you want about Dynamite cancelling titles, but at least they put out a run of the book before cancelling it. If it's cancelled, it's because they gave it a shot in the marketplace and the consumers didn't buy it. In the short time they had The Spider they managed to put out twice as many issues in half the time it took Moonstone to do the same with the character.

A few years back I got very excited when Moonstone announced The Return of the Originals as a line of titles. Well, the "line" turned out to be one graphic novel one-shot (Battle for L.A.), a one-shot "universe handbook"-style non-comic, a single issue of The Black Bat, 2 issues of The Spider, 4 one-shot "Return of the Monsters" titles, a one-shot Airboy & G-8 crossover, a one-shot Spider/Domino Lady crossover, and a Domino Lady: Threesome crossover one-shot. The entire LINE amounted to 12 individual books. Separately, they had also announced a Captain Midnight comic book, and a Moonstone Pulp Fiction Magazine that never appeared. Meanwhile, their original announcement (still on their website after all these years) promised the following:

Click image for larger version

Name:	Return of the Originals.JPG
Views:	1
Size:	81.6 KB
ID:	48790

They produced exactly 3 issues of their promised 5 "ongoing" titles. Of the 20 or so announced characters, only a half-dozen actually appeared. I appreciate the fact that it isn't easy to get a comic line going, especially when you're undercapitalized and are aiming at a real niche market. But Moonstone seems to do a lot better in an area where they don't have as much competition - original prose anthologies featuring nostalgic characters.

Based on the actual number of comics they put out, the only viable "ongoing" character Moonstone ever had was The Phantom. So it's a shame that got taken away from them just so that Dynamite could do a short run of The Last Phantom, because it sure looks in retrospect like sales of Moonstone's Phantom titles were subsidizing less-popular titles like Captain Action, The Spider (the "Widevision" version) and Domino Lady. When the Phantom left, those titles withered away as well.
              Last edited by pulphero; 09-07-2013, 12:57 AM.

Comment

I'm glad Dynamite got the Doc Savage license, I'm also glad that Dynamite is continuing to expand upon their pulp line of books despite poor sales for The Spider and The Black Bat experiencing some poor orders as of late.

Comment

It is an 8-issue series written by Chris Roberson (Chris Roberson, Kenneth Robeson... what are the odds?). Art is by a Brazilian artist, Bilquis Evely. A story arc that begins in 1933 in the first issue, and follows Doc through the decades up to the present. Check out an interview with Roberson here. Awesome Alex Ross covers for the first 2 issues below.

Click image for larger version

Name:	DocSavage01-Cov-Ross-300.jpg
Size:	40.5 KB
ID:	48791Click image for larger version

Name:	DocSavage02-Cov-Ross-300.jpg
Size:	38.8 KB
ID:	48792

Comment

Sounds good and looks good. I think Dynamite will do a great job with Doc.
                    Always remember, Murphy was an optimist
                    Munchkin 1, 2, 4, 7 Super Munchkin 1&2, Munchkin Bites 1&2, Munchkin Fu, Star Munchkin Deluxe and Star 2
                    http://ghornet.deviantart.com/

Comment

those covers are fantastic!

Comment

Yess!!! After reading the Chris R. interview, I know he is on the right track in recognizing the "timelessness" characteristics of Doc who could be in any time period, recognizing Doc's influences on James Bond and Indiana Jones, and those plans to explore the Crime College. Chris R. and I seemed to have grown to read the same stuff when we were growing up. I am excited! Thank you DE!!!

Comment

Originally posted by pulphero View Post
                          It is an 8-issue series written by Chris Roberson (Chris Roberson, Kenneth Robeson... what are the odds?). Art is by a Brazilian artist, Bilquis Evely. A story arc that begins in 1933 in the first issue, and follows Doc through the decades up to the present. Check out an interview with Roberson here. Awesome Alex Ross covers for the first 2 issues below.

[ATTACH]690[/ATTACH][ATTACH]691[/ATTACH]
                          This pleases me quite a bit.

Comment

This is amazing news and a huge solid for the Pulpx line of books from dynamite. Im all over this one!

Comment

Originally posted by pulphero View Post
                              It is an 8-issue series written by Chris Roberson (Chris Roberson, Kenneth Robeson... what are the odds?). Art is by a Brazilian artist, Bilquis Evely. A story arc that begins in 1933 in the first issue, and follows Doc through the decades up to the present. Check out an interview with Roberson here.

But that interview says ongoing....never mentions just 8 issues, outside of maybe explaining the first arc spanning 80 years.

Comment

With this news

We're getting that much closer to an old dream of the ultimate Pulp crossover event in history

http://heroescomics.9f.com/pulp_heroes.htm

Comment

Working...
                                X