The Doc Savage series MEGATHREAD!

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by bluedevil2002 View Post
    But that interview says ongoing....never mentions just 8 issues, outside of maybe explaining the first arc spanning 80 years.
    Maybe I should have said "at least" 8 issues. Dynamite never labels their series as "limited series" or "ongoing", so good sales might turn anything into an ongoing series. Experience with Dynamite's titles tends to make me assume just about everything is limited (while some people assume the opposite), even when they never commit to a specific number of issues, but everything depends on how well those initial issues sell. As long as people keep buying, why not keep making them? If they don't sell well enough, then at least you have a set number of trade paperbacks.

Comment

DOC SAVAGE AT LAST!!!

DYNAMITE ENTERTAINMENT FOR DECEMBER

DOC SAVAGE #1

Written by Chris Roberson, art by Bilquis Evely, cover(s) by Alex Ross, Stephen Segovia

In 1933, readers were first introduced to Doc Savage, the Man of Bronze. Raised from the cradle to be the pinnacle of mental and physical perfection, Doc Savage travels the world using science and sinews to right wrongs, aid the oppressed, and liberate the innocent. With his team of able associates at their headquarters high atop the tallest building in the world, Doc Savage is tireless in his pursuit of knowledge and justice. Writer Chris Roberson brings Doc Savage from 1933 through to today. And with "Easter eggs" along the way that will help pave the future of Doc.

32 pages, $3.99.

Comics Continuum: Dynamite Entertainment for December
      Last edited by Alan The Insane!!!; 09-21-2013, 02:54 PM.

Comment

I can't wait for this! Roberson is a great writer, and his plans for Doc Savage sound awesome.

Comment

Originally posted by Chris-KL99 View Post
          I can't wait for this! Roberson is a great writer, and his plans for Doc Savage sound awesome.
          Now if we could just get him to drop the R from his last name while he's doing the series.
          Always remember, Murphy was an optimist
          Munchkin 1, 2, 4, 7 Super Munchkin 1&2, Munchkin Bites 1&2, Munchkin Fu, Star Munchkin Deluxe and Star 2
          http://ghornet.deviantart.com/

Comment

Originally posted by Ghornet2 View Post
            Now if we could just get him to drop the R from his last name while he's doing the series.
            R from last name?? I don't get it?

Comment

Originally posted by KentAllard View Post
              R from last name?? I don't get it?
              The original stories were by 'Kenneth Robeson'. If he drops the second r from Roberson . . .
              Munchkin 1, 2, 4, 7 Super Munchkin 1&2, Munchkin Bites 1&2, Munchkin Fu, Star Munchkin Deluxe and Star 2

Comment

Originally posted by Ghornet2 View Post
                The original stories were by 'Kenneth Robeson'. If he drops the second r from Roberson . . .
                Oh Right. My dyslexia knows no bounds haha

Comment

Doc Savage master of gadgets!

I am so looking forward to Doc Savage! It is my hope that the tradition of "new" gadgets will also be part of the formula. The Lester Dent stories often had Doc using a new gadget that was cutting edge for the time that helped him in his quest for justice. Many ideas became reality--Kevlar vests, answering machines, mercy bullets, etc.

Here is the list from Wikipedia: "Some of the gadgets described in the series became reality, including flying wing, answering machines, television, automatic transmission, night vision goggles, electromagnetic rail guns, and hand-held automatic weapons called variously machine pistol, supermachine pistol or rapid-firer. Doc has created a wide range of ammunition types for the machine pistols including incendiary bullets that smash on contact, coating the target with a high-temp paste-fed fire, high explosive bullets able to uproot trees, ordinary lead bullets & tracer, and the trademark sleep-inducing "mercy bullets" rather than regular lead bullets which are used in gunfights in keeping with Doc's firm code against personal direct taking of human life, even of the most evil. (Doc has no problem with enemies dying from causes other than his direct attack on them, though.)"

I understand that DE is going to move Doc to the 21st century. My hope is that the creators of the series will look at the prototypes in magazines like Popular Mechanics and Popular Science (my son's favorite non comic magazines) and incorporate similar inventions and gadgets into their stories. My fear is that the science fiction in this new Doc Savage comic will become too fantastic or too cosmic (ie Mr.Fantastic of the Fantastic Four) and the inventions will be too far reaching of the imagination. I recommend using cutting edge technological ideas and incorporating those ideas into the stories. Imagine Doc being consulted on the age-reducing gene that researchers today are exploring. Imagine the car-plane (retractable blades but runs on unleaded). Imagine Doc on the latest wave rider (motorized water recreational device "motorbike"). Imagine Doc being consulted with the latest bionics technology (maybe a team up with Steve Austin? Bionic Man is another great DE comic). Imagine Doc helping police departments improve their CSI clue gathering techniques with a pilot program of goggles that access wifi and analyze blood splatters/DNA/fingerprints on the scene. Imagine Doc using a 16+ multi-tool from his key-chain to assist in his adventure (check out the latest gadget store websites). Imagine Doc competing for the latest X-prizes. Imagine Doc being consulted by the military on the latest sonic weapon technology. With Doc Savage the gadget master, the sky is the limit! But it needs to be a possible reachable limit not a cosmic one.
                  Last edited by Blinky McQuade; 10-22-2013, 08:03 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Blinky McQuade View Post
                    hand-held automatic weapons called variously machine pistol, supermachine pistol or rapid-firer. Doc has created a wide range of ammunition types for the machine pistols including incendiary bullets that smash on contact, coating the target with a high-temp paste-fed fire, high explosive bullets able to uproot trees, ordinary lead bullets & tracer, and the trademark sleep-inducing "mercy bullets" rather than regular lead bullets which are used in gunfights in keeping with Doc's firm code against personal direct taking of human life, even of the most evil. (Doc has no problem with enemies dying from causes other than his direct attack on them, though.)"
                    Even though I am familiar with Doc's "supermachine pistol" from the pulp novels, it never occurred to me until you posted this that Doc is the inventor of Judge Dredd's "Lawgiver" which is standard issue for all street Judges in Mega-City One.

Also from Wikipedia:
                    The Lawgiver is a fictional weapon used by the Judges in Judge Dredd and related series that appear in the UK comic books 2000 AD and the Judge Dredd Megazine, as well as the 1995 movie Judge Dredd and the 2012 film Dredd.
                    The Lawgiver is a handgun featuring semi- and fully automatic fire, manual and automatic focusing and targeting, plus an in-built computer capable of controlling its operation. It fires a range of speciality ammunition. An in-line gunsight shows the view directly down the barrel. A Lawgiver can only be operated by its designated Judge owner, whose palm print is programmed into the gun's memory.

The gun has a maximum range of up to three miles and has six distinct settings:
                    1) Standard execution - A standard bullet, with identical effects to normal kinetic energy projectile weapons.
                    2) Heat Seeker or Hot Shot - A standard bullet propelled by the unstable element, 'Argon 886'. Heatseeker rounds lock onto the target's heat source, enabling the Judge to target fleeing perps, accurately fire in low-light situations and so forth.
                    3) Ricochet - A metal bullet coated with rubber. Ricochet rounds can bounce off solid surfaces while retaining enough kinetic energy to penetrate flesh. This enables the Judge to, for example, kill a perp that is using a human shield, bouncing their shot off a back wall and hitting the target from behind.
                    4) Incendiary - Capable of setting its target on fire. Less widely used due to practicalities of incinerating targets in built-up city areas, although useful against unconventional adversaries such as Judge Death.
                    5) Armour Piercing - Armour piercing rounds are extremely dense and contain a more powerful charge for higher muzzle velocity. Useful against cybernetic criminals and armoured opponents. When used against human targets, it can travel through multiple targets.
                    6) High-Explosive (Hi-Ex) - A round containing an amount of extremely concentrated high explosive. Judges must employ caution when using this extremely dangerous round; the blast caused by the exploding bullets can just as easily harm those firing as well as the target. Generally used rarely; against crowding attackers or large/dangerous foes.

That last one is actually what Buck Rogers in the 25th Century used in his original 'Rocket Gun' - High Explosive shells. Just goes to show you that you have to be careful even when you design weapons intended to be non-lethal. Someone can always take your design, add enhancements and improvements, and total defeat the original intent. But it appears that Doc already had half of these specialized shells already in the 1930s.
                    Last edited by pulphero; 10-23-2013, 01:49 AM.

Comment

Doc Savage's Scrappy Scientists

Yes! DE is bringing Doc Savage back and into the present! DC comics did this before with some struggles. In my opinion, it was the characterization of his supporting cast that made those pulp stories great. Doc Savage is better with his colorful scrappy scientists!

Take a look at Lester Dent's supporting cast for Doc:

Monk--a famous industrial chemist with a military background (Doc met all of them while serving in the military)--fans loved his arguments with Ham (later influenced the bickering characters of the Human Torch and the Thing in the Fantastic Four and Spock and Bones in Star Trek). Later, Lester Dent realizing the problems with so many assistants for Doc to write a story each month paired down the cast to just Monk and Ham by only bringing in the others as their scientific knowledge was needed (to my disappointment as I liked all of Doc's scrappy scientists).

Ham--famous Harvard educated lawyer. See bickering characterization above.

Renny--engineer and brawler--defacto leader of the team

Johnny--archeologist and geologist--loved the big-word Schick.

Long Tom--electrician and hates-them-but-loves-them when it comes to women personality, an unlikely brawler due to his size and looks; also good with disguises.

Pat Savage--always trying to horn in on the guys' adventures, a female Tarzan. Perhaps the prototype for Invisible Woman, the deceptively most powerful member of the Fantastic Four? The guys had a brotherly care for Pat. Perhaps misguided care as they tried to outwit her into not participating in some cases.

[B]Looking at Alex Ross' cover for Doc Savage #1, I see that there will be new characters introduced to support Doc.[B] [U]I propose that they also be scientists to support Doc in his adventures--NOT just brawlers or people with elite military training.[U] In many ways, Johnny of Doc's original crew inspired me to become a history teacher and writer (ethereally).

A Doc Savage in a modern world would want scientists that would support his adventures. If I were writing a modern Doc Savage, his supporting cast would support (act as spring boards for adventures and ideas for the writer) Doc Savage.

Instead of an industrial chemist, how about either a CSI criminalist or forensic coroner? (ie Gil Grisson like character)
                      Instead of just a lawyer, how about a attorney/accountant/business-manager/public-relations-fixer? (ie Olivia Pope character)
                      Instead of an engineer, an industrial engineer. (ok, not much change)
                      Instead of an electrician, an internet savvy guru (ie Mr. Finch from Person of Interest character) combined with a gadget maker (ie Artemus Gordon from Wild Wild West or Q from the James Bond stories)
                      Instead of just an archeologist/geologist, but also a paleontologist. I am a sucker for stories of lost worlds and lost treasures (Clive Clussler books--got to have them all).

Perhaps one of those above (like the engineer) could be replaced with a psychologist profiler (ie Criminal Minds team)?

When DC Comics sent Doc to the present era, not all his supporting cast made any sense. One person claimed to have ability to read minds (I tried to explain this in my mind as she was also really a Israeli spy and was bluffing the psychic stuff using inside intelligence info to identify the enemy in one story). The best was the Russian "Bear" character who was a Cosmonaut who tried to live up to Doc's legend by striving to be someone like Doc. At one point, DC comics gave another character Ham's sword cane to give the illusion of the original team (not very well executed). DC under Mike W. Barr's tenure brought the Doc Savage stories back to the 1930s since the modern stories and team were problematical. At least, there was a great Doc Savage/Shadow crossover!

My point is that I hope I am getting across is that Doc Savage is well-supported by his associates and that it is better that those associates be scientists as well not just brawlers!

I know Chris Roberson has great plans for Doc! He probably is thinking along the similar ways.

I look forward to DE's Doc Savage and hope this is the first mini of many many more!

Comment

Chris Roberson did not disappoint! The solicitation of issue #3 had Doc of the 1960s team up with veterans of his scrappy scientist group with young newcomers who are "experts in the frontiers of science and invention". Let's hope the characterization of these characters are as interesting as the classic Lester Dent characters!
                        Last edited by Blinky McQuade; 11-29-2013, 05:38 PM.

Comment

Doc Savage preview!

http://www.comicbookresources.com/?p...eview&id=19363

Check it out!
                          Dynamite Entertainment
                          Forum Administrator

Check out Dynamite on Twitter here!

Comment

Doc Savage #1 discussion

Very good first issue in my opinion, not an action packed issue but it laid a huge foundation for the future. What did you guys think?

Great art in this book too, it feels older but yet has a modern flare to it. I like it!
                            Dynamite Entertainment
                            Forum Administrator

Check out Dynamite on Twitter here!

Comment

Originally posted by comixfan1980 View Post
                              Very good first issue in my opinion, not an action packed issue but it laid a huge foundation for the future. What did you guys think?

Great art in this book too, it feels older but yet has a modern flare to it. I like it!
                              Great Alex Ross cover--as always!! Teasing future storylines? Members of his scrappy scientists?

Great action showing Doc scientific thinking his way out of a mystery. Demonstration of his caring efforts and dedication to his oath. All good.

Only quibble is the artist's size depiction of Doc to the other characters. I must confess I liked John Buscema's depiction. Doc was symmetrically perfect in physical conditioning but he was a giant upon closer presence. Only Renny should be as tall as Doc. Monk was as broad muscled as Doc is tall.

In the Doug Monech stories from Marvel, and in some of the modern stories from Jose Farmer and Will Murray, one saw Doc refer to his men as "brothers" reflecting their bonding during the war years. Perhaps, future issues will reflect?

Thank you Dynamite for Doc Savage #1--Christmas has come early this year!!!!

Comment

I have to agree with Blinky. The only problem I has was Doc's size and build. He should be taller and more powerful. He looked rather normal. It was nice to see the vest used as it should be. It's Doc's version of a 'utility belt' and not worn over bare skin. We also get the orign of the skull cap he occasionally wore as well as the reasoning behind the crime college.

A very good first issue aside frome the size thing.

Comment

Working...
                                X