The Doc Savage series MEGATHREAD!

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Ghornet2 View Post
    I have to agree with Blinky. The only problem I has was Doc's size and build. He should be taller and more powerful. He looked rather normal. It was nice to see the vest used as it should be. It's Doc's version of a 'utility belt' and not worn over bare skin. We also get the orign of the skull cap he occasionally wore as well as the reasoning behind the crime college.

A very good first issue aside frome the size thing.
    As described in the novels, the skullcap was close-fitting, bronze colored very close to Doc's own hair color, and nearly matched the look of Doc's own hair/hairline, so that it was only close up that it would be noticeable as a skullcap. Despite the pulp cover depictions, James Bama was a lot closer to getting the widow's peak and look of Doc's real hair, although Bama's version admittedly always had a 'artificial' look to it. Doc did not have the "movie-star hair" look depicted on the pulp covers. Plus the skullcap was more for physical protection from head injuries and gunfire. Since the skullcap in the novels never seemed to be used for any reason other than physical protection, I'm going to say there's no relation to this particular skullcap used to block radio frequency waves.

The utility vest always made perfect sense to me and seemed more believable than a belt. Actually, Dent described both the utility vest and a bulletproof vest, but it was never clear to me if these were one and the same, or two different vests.

I laughed after seeing Bilquis Evely's depiction of Ham Brooks, followed a couple of panels later by Chris Roberson's description of him as "one of the best-dressed men in America" ...!

Monk should have longer arms and be nearly as broad as tall, and in general just more Neanderthal-looking. I always thought Luis Guzman would have been perfect casting for Monk in a movie, although they'd have to lighten his skin tone and give him a red-haired wig to make him look less ethnic. Alas, he's probably too old for the part now.

Click image for larger version

Name:	luis-guzman-WI-0109-lg.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	20.0 KB
ID:	48810

Other than that, good issue. Looking forwards to seeing this progress through the decades.
    Last edited by pulphero; 12-13-2013, 01:05 AM.

Comment

Looks like the series is off to a hot start! Lot's of good praise coming down for it and orders seemed very good, so I for one am looking forward to enjoying Doc Savage for a long time to come! Hope you all enjoy the series!
      Dynamite Entertainment
      Forum Administrator

Check out Dynamite on Twitter here!

Comment

So far, so good. I really enjoyed the first issue. Great work, all-around.

Comment

i really liked it. like the others the only quibble i have is Doc's size.

Comment

for me it's more of Doc in general. While I wasn't expecting the torn shirt and all, Doc should be taller, broader, bronzer and the widow peak. The sory was great.
            Always remember, Murphy was an optimist
            Munchkin 1, 2, 4, 7 Super Munchkin 1&2, Munchkin Bites 1&2, Munchkin Fu, Star Munchkin Deluxe and Star 2
            http://ghornet.deviantart.com/

Comment

Finally got to read it. Thought it set up the series well but i thought the Alex Ross cover art represented the team better, and their should have been more hats! Its the 1930's after all and men covered up their heads.

ta

Ralph

Comment

Originally posted by ralphuniverse View Post
                Finally got to read it. Thought it set up the series well but i thought the Alex Ross cover art represented the team better, and their should have been more hats! Its the 1930's after all and men covered up their heads.

ta

Ralph
                Hats are good. When you can find the artists who can draw them convincingly, which seems to be becoming somewhat of a lost skill these days.

Love the new avatar, Ralph.

Comment

G'day,

It was a sad day when hats stopped being an essential part of menswear.

Ralph

Originally posted by pulphero View Post
                  Hats are good. When you can find the artists who can draw them convincingly, which seems to be becoming somewhat of a lost skill these days.

Love the new avatar, Ralph.

Comment

G'day,

It was a sad day when hats stopped being an essential part of menswear.

Ralph
                    Maybe you can't really blame the artists, though. It's not as if they can just go out on the street somewhere with a sketchpad and wait for someone to pass by wearing a fedora.

Comment

G'day,

I just feel comics written in that time should look as if they were actually occurring in that time. I would want it to be more like an old movie. If you watch and old serial even the baddies wore suits and hats. I think you had similar complaints about the drawing of the buildings in "Noir".

ta

Ralph

Originally posted by pulphero View Post
                      Maybe you can't really blame the artists, though. It's not as if they can just go out on the street somewhere with a sketchpad and wait for someone to pass by wearing a fedora.

Comment

G'day,

I just feel comics written in that time should look as if they were actually occurring in that time. I would want it to be more like an old movie. If you watch and old serial even the baddies wore suits and hats. I think you had similar complaints about the drawing of the buildings in "Noir".

ta

Ralph
                        Yeah, serials are good, where fistfights literally break out at the drop of a hat, and there is no shortage of hats to be dropped. And playing an old movie is a lot easier than going outside with a sketchpad (*and* you can hit the 'pause' button at any time), so I've changed my mind again, and am back to saying "no excuse" (except, you know, a lack of talent) to the artists.

Comment

I'm currently reading one of the Doc Savage Novels 'King Maker'. The description of Doc is really at odds with his depiction in this series. Big, powerful, braided muscles.
                          Munchkin 1, 2, 4, 7 Super Munchkin 1&2, Munchkin Bites 1&2, Munchkin Fu, Star Munchkin Deluxe and Star 2

Comment

Originally posted by Ghornet2 View Post
                            I'm currently reading one of the Doc Savage Novels 'King Maker'. The description of Doc is really at odds with his depiction in this series. Big, powerful, braided muscles.
                            Well, the Alex Ross covers are at odds with his depiction in the interior art, more so than can be naturally attributed to a difference in artists' styles. Doc Savage (the pulp magazine) and The Spider (the pulp magazine) both had covers where the cover artists' depiction of the main character was at odds with the writer's word-picture description.

James Bama (and all the artists that followed his model, notably Bob Larkin and Joe DeVito) on the Bantam Books paperback reprint series, had a much closer resemblance to Lester Dent's written description of Doc, and Alex Ross and John Cassaday follow in this style. Not sure why Bilquis Eveley's interior art doesn't as well. Of course, it's easier for painted art to show more detail, but other than that.

Also, Bama was the first artist to give Doc a distinctive 'costume' with riding boots, jodhpurs, and the signature torn shirt, which he had on every cover, although he obviously doesn't dress this way in Dent's stories. I think it was necessary (by the 1960s) to offset the sort of 'boy scout' goody-goody qualities of Doc in the stories by depicting him as a formidable and daunting tower of rippling muscle - one look and any opponent would hesitate. One thing Bama never depicted, which I always wanted to see, was Doc's utility vest. Later artists, like Steranko, did.
                            Last edited by pulphero; 01-06-2014, 12:31 AM.

Comment

I can remember the Marvel Series where he only wore a vest. Kind of ridiculous, but the B&W magazine series was so much better. Maybe Dynamite can do a reprint of the magazine series.
                              Last edited by Ghornet2; 01-08-2014, 10:53 PM.

Comment

I was just struck by a thought (didn't duck fast enough).

If Dynamite adapted the Doc Savage radio scripts we'd have a comic written by Lester Dent.

Comment

Working...
                                X