No announcement yet.

The Doc Savage series MEGATHREAD!

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Doc's physique --- hasn't Roberson said Doc's appearance will evolve over the course of the series? I think I read that in an interview. If so, we'll probably see him bulk up as his career gets fully underway, as well as perhaps witness changes in his hair style etc. At least that was an impression I was left with from what he said.

Comment

Originally posted by Ghornet2 View Post
      I can remember the Marvel Series where he only wore a vest. Kind of ridiculous, but the B&W magazine series was so much better. Maybe Dynamite can do a reprint of the magazine series.
      DC reprinted those in the SHOWCASE PRESENTS series a few years back when they had the license (the First Wave material), and if you search around the net, it may still be available. (DC also reprinted the complete Marvel color run of Doc, minus any crossovers with Spider-Man and The Thing, from Marvel Team-Up and Marvel Two-In-One, respectively).

Nick said in an interview that he'd like to reprint the B&W Doc Savage mag, as it was his favorite comics version. Hopefully if this happens at Dynamite, it will be in the original page size and hardcover (with reproductions of all the covers), and I can get rid of my DC Showcase volume.

Comment

Originally posted by Ghornet2 View Post
        I was just struck by a thought (didn't duck fast enough).

If Dynamite adapted the Doc Savage radio scripts we'd have a comic written by Lester Dent.
        Don't know if that would fly with today's comic book readers. The scripts are complete stories made to fit a 15-minute time slot, and Doc's crew is reduced to just Monk as a sidekick for Doc to talk to. Dent, an untested scripter in the medium of radio drama, took the job for the money, to help Street & Smith promote the magazine, and to try to keep the character as true to the pulp novels as possible, within the severe limitations the format imposed. Compared to the pulp supersagas, there's room only for a tiny cast, no over-the-top supervillains, and none of the intricate plotting and detailed descriptions that make the pulps what they were. Most of the better 15-minute radio dramas aimed at the children's hour of 5-6pm, like Captain Midnight and The Adventures of Superman, were written by experienced radio writers, and at least had the advantage of longer stories, serialized over multiple episodes. The complete-in-one-half-hour format could also work, for shows like The Lone Ranger, The Green Hornet, and The Shadow (although in the latter case, it was necessary to reconfigure the hero into a somewhat different character). Trying to introduce a menace or mystery and resolve it in about 12 minutes imposed severe limitations on the show. About all Dent could do was to try to retain the concept of a mysterious unexplained phenomenon which turns out to have a rational scientific explanation. Not Lester Dent's best work, but he had to follow the format the advertisers wanted for the show. With all due respect to the creator, the radio scripts are chiefly interesting as a novelty and as an example of "lost episodes" of Doc reconfigured for an entirely different medium. They wouldn't really make for good comic book stories. Street & Smith's short comic book stories featuring Doc are rather dull; so are most of The Shadow's comic book stories of comparable length, even though most of them were written by Walter Gibson. Gibson was much more effective as a comics writer in The Shadow's newspaper strip, where he got the breathing room to stretch and write extended continuities.
        Last edited by pulphero; 01-09-2014, 03:30 AM.

Comment

Just read a blurb on line and now I can't find the link (sigh) . There's talk of a new Doc Savage movie with the actor who played Thor (Chris Hemsworth?) He might be able to pull it off. Any thoughts on who should play the Fab 5 and Pat?
          Always remember, Murphy was an optimist
          Munchkin 1, 2, 4, 7 Super Munchkin 1&2, Munchkin Bites 1&2, Munchkin Fu, Star Munchkin Deluxe and Star 2
          http://ghornet.deviantart.com/

Comment

We saw a couple of interesting devices in the first issue so I thought I'd bump this threat up so peole could comment.
            Munchkin 1, 2, 4, 7 Super Munchkin 1&2, Munchkin Bites 1&2, Munchkin Fu, Star Munchkin Deluxe and Star 2

Comment

Actually, this is not new. While they've been trying to get a movie off the ground for years now (Michael Uslan is the producer), way back when they were originally going to do this with Arnold Schwarzenegger. The movie came closer to being reality when Shane Black (director of Iron Man 3) got attached to it a while ago. Since he's bankable, that started it actually moving forward again. Not sure how I feel about it, since I didn't like Iron Man 3, and didn't bother seeing the Thor movies.

Comment

Doc Savage #2

Even better than the first issue. I got both cover variants, the Alex Ross and the John Cassaday. Both nice retro homages.

Ah, here we begin to see the rationale for Doc's continuing to battle evil into the present time. Nicely done. I also appreciated that Bilquis Eveley's depiction of Doc looks more in keeping with Dent's prose description in this issue, 'widow's peak' and all.

Comment

Originally posted by pulphero View Post
                  Even better than the first issue.
                  Definitly! Even though most of the issue was devoted to Pat, Ham & Monk it was a great issue.

Originally posted by pulphero View Post
                  I also appreciated that Bilquis Eveley's depiction of Doc looks more in keeping with Dent's prose description in this issue, 'widow's peak' and all.
                  Like this look for Doc much better. Really enjoyed the presence of The Fortress of Solitude, The Crime College and The Helldiver.
                  The only 'mistake'that stood out was Johnny's use of big words. In the original stories he didn't use them in Doc's presence.

I have the DC reprints of the Marvel Color Series and the DC Mini and even after just 2 issues I like this series a lot more. I'd like to see Dynamite reprint the Millenium Minis. They were good and I think they'd be fune for the fans here to read.
                  Last edited by Ghornet2; 01-23-2014, 08:45 PM.

Comment

Doc Savage #5 in April

Click image for larger version

Name:	DOCSAVAGE-5-DE.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	31.0 KB
ID:	48814Click image for larger version

Name:	docsavage5-cassaday-de.jpg
Size:	33.0 KB
ID:	48815

Name:	SHIELD #6.jpg
Size:	66.9 KB
ID:	48816Click image for larger version

Name:	Doc Savage #3.jpg
Size:	71.9 KB
ID:	48817

I'm loving these retro covers! Alex Ross' cover, on the left, is a homage to Steranko's cover for Nick Fury, Agent of S.H.I.E.L.D. #6 (with possibly a bit of the Frank R. Paul Amazing Stories cover from the August 1928 issue that introduced Anthony 'Buck' Rogers). The John Cassaday cover on the right, is no particular homage in its image (although it looks like it would have been right at home on an issue of Planetary), but apes the cover style of the 1970s Marvel Doc Savage color comic (logo by Steranko). By the way, the shirt worn by Doc on the Cassaday cover was also designed by Steranko back in the 1970s, although never used in an issue of Marvel's Doc comic.

Name:	Steranko Doc shirt-2.jpg
Size:	58.0 KB
ID:	48818
                    Last edited by pulphero; 01-25-2014, 04:46 AM.

Comment

• i love Steranko's Doc. the shirt is a logical replacement/advancement on the vest and the hair gives us the classic widow's peak with a slight modification. The belt buckle is even a nod to the standard logo/symbol that most superheroes wear.

Comment

• Here's the full image, from the centerspread of the first issue of Steranko's COMIXSCENE (1972), the "Doc Savage Issue!" Surrounding the central Steranko illustration of Doc and his crew are concept drawings by (left to right) Gene Colan, John Severin, Dan Adkins, and (lower right) Mike Ploog.

Comment

• i really enjoyed issue #2. and Pat got quite a bit of face time too, was surprised by that. can't wait for issue #3.

Comment

• Doc Savage #3 - 1961

Interesting follow-up to Doc saving Pat's life in the previous issue. We get a brief look at some new members of Doc's crew, and a new villain. I was expecting something Bondian, along the lines of Blofeld, but instead we essentially get Doc's equivalent of Lex Luthor. Not bad.

Comment

• Nice update with no real spoiler. I'll be picking the issue up in a couple of hours but won't be able to read it until tonight. now I know I have something to look forward to.

Comment

• Doc Savage Reprints

Just thought I'd renew my plea for Dynamite to reprint the Millennium Comics Doc Savage comics. They'd work nicely as a pair of 6 issue TPBs
                                Volume 1
                                Doc Savage: The Man of Bronze 1991 4 issues
                                Pat Savage: The Woman of Bronze - Family Blood Special 1992 1 issue
                                Doc Savage: Manual of Bronze 1992 1 issue

Volume 2
                                Doc Savage: Devil's Thoughts 1992 3 issues
                                Doc Savage: Doom Dynasty 1992 2 issues
                                Doc Savage: The Man of Bronze - Repel 1993 1 issue

I have the Manual of Bronze and a couple of random issues. Had them all at one point and they were great.

Comment

Working...
                                X