The Doc Savage series MEGATHREAD!

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Ghornet2 View Post
    Just thought I'd renew my plea for Dynamite to reprint the Millennium Comics Doc Savage comics. They'd work nicely as a pair of 6 issue TPBs
    Volume 1
    Doc Savage: The Man of Bronze 1991 4 issues
    Pat Savage: The Woman of Bronze - Family Blood Special 1992 1 issue
    Doc Savage: Manual of Bronze 1992 1 issue

Volume 2
    Doc Savage: Devil's Thoughts 1992 3 issues
    Doc Savage: Doom Dynasty 1992 2 issues
    Doc Savage: The Man of Bronze - Repel 1993 1 issue

I have the Manual of Bronze and a couple of random issues. Had them all at one point and they were great.
    I forgot if these were in color or black & white. Memory says black & white; if so, they should just lump 'em all into one book, along the lines of the recent Vampirella trade paperback, which was also black & white.

Comment

• Originally posted by pulphero View Post
      I forgot if these were in color or black & white. Memory says black & white; if so, they should just lump 'em all into one book, along the lines of the recent Vampirella trade paperback, which was also black & white.
      Had to go check myself. They are color. The art was ok but the stories were real good. I also have the old Gold Key back from when there was talk of Chuck Coners doing a Doc Savage movie. Thousand Headed Man I think.
      Always remember, Murphy was an optimist
      Munchkin 1, 2, 4, 7 Super Munchkin 1&2, Munchkin Bites 1&2, Munchkin Fu, Star Munchkin Deluxe and Star 2
      http://ghornet.deviantart.com/

Comment

Had to go check myself. They are color. The art was ok but the stories were real good. I also have the old Gold Key back from when there was talk of Chuck Coners doing a Doc Savage movie. Thousand Headed Man I think.
        It's the same Bama cover painting as on the Doc paperback, IIRC, but interior art by Jack Sparling (blechh.) Never bothered to hunt it down for that reason. I have the G-8 one they did, though.
        Last edited by pulphero; 03-02-2014, 11:46 AM.

Comment

It's the same Bama cover painting as on the Doc paperback, IIRC, but interior art by Jack Sparling (blechh.) Never bothered to hunt it down for that reason. I have the G-8 one they did, though.
          Didn't track it down just lucked into it and I agree on the art. I do think that Conners would have been a good Doc.
          Last edited by Ghornet2; 03-03-2014, 11:28 PM.
          Munchkin 1, 2, 4, 7 Super Munchkin 1&2, Munchkin Bites 1&2, Munchkin Fu, Star Munchkin Deluxe and Star 2

Comment

Didn't track it down and I agree on the art. I do think that Conners would have been a good Doc.
            Still a nice collectible to have, if you didn't expend much effort or $ to acquire, if only because of the cover and the fact that it's just about the *only* piece of Doc merchandizing from the 1960s. (Bantam did do a poster of Bama's painting for The Man of Bronze, but I think that was in the early '70s.) I agree about Connors, I think he would have made a great Doc.

That *was* a little weird, the one-shots of Doc and G-8 appearing out of nowhere (Gold Key never licensed anything but movies or TV shows) in 1966. Especially where the G-8 pulps weren't even being reprinted at that time (Berkeley-Medallion paperback reprints didn't begin until late in 1969)! You can almost see a Bantam editor phoning up the Western Publishing offices to try to drum up interest in a licensed comic book, but the G-8 thing is pretty inexplicable. One can only surmise that someone on Western Publishing's editorial staff was a fan of the pulps. This was right around the time that Russ Manning took over Gold Key's Tarzan of the Apes to begin a series of adaptations of ERB's novels, so maybe GK was testing the waters to see if they could find a new trend.

Dynamite has been following in the footsteps of Gold Key for a while, with its selection of movie and television-based properties, and classic characters like Zorro, Lone Ranger, and Green Hornet, and with the recent addition of the original Gold Key adventure hero characters, they've completed the transition, and have truly become the Gold Key of the 21st Century. About the only thing missing from the parallel is that DE hasn't got a line of comics based on the most popular animated characters of today, but seeing as how they're pretty much all owned by Disney, Cartoon Network, or Nickelodeon, it's understandable.

Click image for larger version

Name:	Doc Savage 1966.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	26.7 KB
ID:	48827Click image for larger version

Name:	G-8 and his Battle Aces.jpg
Size:	47.9 KB
ID:	48828Click image for larger version

Name:	Tarzan of the Apes #155.jpg
Size:	46.7 KB
ID:	48829
            Last edited by pulphero; 03-03-2014, 01:45 AM.

Comment

Nice update with no real spoiler. I'll be picking the issue up in a couple of hours but won't be able to read it until tonight. now I know I have something to look forward to.
              Great issue! New members for Doc's Scrappy Scientist Society were present!!! Nice tie into the Cold War/Nuke fear times.

Looking forward to more changes along the ways as further issues are put out! Thank you Dynamite!

Comment

I have all the Marvel, Millennium, Dark Horse, and DC Docs but the Gold Key Doc adaption has escaped my reach. I do not mind the Black and White trade approach as it is usually affordable for new and us old fans. The Millennium were in color. As I am faced with the eventual reality of downsizing, making tough choices in selling my collections, I would like to have these issue in convenient trade paperback format for space considerations.

Comment

• Originally posted by Blinky McQuade View Post
                  I have all the Marvel, Millennium, Dark Horse, and DC Docs but the Gold Key Doc adaption has escaped my reach. I do not mind the Black and White trade approach as it is usually affordable for new and us old fans. The Millennium were in color. As I am faced with the eventual reality of downsizing, making tough choices in selling my collections, I would like to have these issue in convenient trade paperback format for space considerations.
                  I want a trade paperback of the Dark Horse Docs, including that Shadow crossover.

Comment

• I have Curse of the Fire God, but wouldn't mind a TPB. The Shadow/Doc mini would make it 6 issues wouldn't it? The first 4 GA Doc Savage comics might be interesting as well. I'm pretty sure they were adaptions of the pulps. In issue five (I think) they gave him super powers for some strange reason. (sigh)

Comment

• another fun issue. question: were the new team members original to this issue or had they shown up in previous comics or novels?

Comment

• They were new to the Doc Universe. Part of bringing Doc up to the current time. I'm interested to see where we go from here.

Comment

• DOC SAVAGE ARCHIVES VOLUME 1: THE CURTIS MAGAZINE ERA HC - Coming in August

The Man of Bronze is back with a vengeance! In this brand new archival edition, the harrowing adventures of Doc Savage return straight from the 1970’s—fully remastered and ready for action. With art done by John Buscema, Tony DeZuniga, and Ernie Chan to accompany writer Doug Moench, this book is a must have for any and all fans of Doc Savage and his Amazing Five. Revisit the classic Curtis magazine issues 1 through 8 and relive the glory days of the Man of Bronze.

Hardcover, 7x10, 500 pages, Full Color, $49.99, On sale August 27

DOC SAVAGE ARCHIVES VOLUME 1 is solicited in the April PREVIEWS (Available March 26).
                          The Diamond Item Code is APR141159.
                          Click image for larger version

Name:	DOC_SAVAGE_ARCHIVES-VOL01.jpg
Size:	26.8 KB
ID:	48831
                          These are the same comics (originally appearing in B&W magazine format in the 1970s; published by Marvel) reprinted by DC in 2011 in a SHOWCASE PRESENTS edition.
                          (The only thing I would question about the above solicitation is the "Full Color" description. Is it possible they colored these stories that originally appeared in black and white with gray tones? We'll see, I guess. If in color, $50 sounds like a bargain price for 500 pages. The solicitation also says 7x10, which would be the same dimensions as a regular color comic, but from the cover image, this looks like it has the same dimensions as the original magazines. If I had to bet, my gut says this will actually be the same size as the original magazines, in black and white, although probably with the original painted covers reproduced in color. In other words, exactly the same format as DE's Vampirella Archives. Hopefully DE will follow up with the Marvel Doc Savage color comics in a second archival hardcover.)
                          Last edited by pulphero; 03-22-2014, 01:10 AM.

Comment

• Looks like another Doc Savage series (probably a mini) is in the works set just before the first book. Sounds like it could be interesting.

Comment

• I'm not familiar with any of Shannon Eric Denton's other work, but I like the idea that it's a prequel to The Man of Bronze.

Comment

• Doc Savage: is it an on-going series or an 8-part mini-series?

I read much where this Doc Savage series by Chris R. is an eight part mini series. Is it an on-going? In the previews magazine from Diamond Distributors does not indicate that it is a mini-series. Recent solicited Doc Savage annual and reprint of the Marvel Black and White magazines in a hardcover indicates it is an on-going. Which is it?

Obviously, I have been increasingly impressed with Dynamite's Doc Savage as this origin of how he is active today is progressing! As a long time Doc fan, I am hoping he is here to stay either as an on-going or as a series of mini series.

Comment

Working...
                                X