Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• CEO/Publisher

Hi Blinky,

Doc is 8 issues. It's leading into something, but can't say what it is yet.

I think that you'll be impressed when you see it!

Best!

Nick

Comment

• If not an on going series I wouldn't mind a series of mini series telling of Doc in different eras he's lived through (50's 60's etc). Maybe with a bit of the feel of the comics of the era. Even a story about how Doc and his aids met, if not an adaption of 'Escape from Loki'.
      Always remember, Murphy was an optimist
      Munchkin 1, 2, 4, 7 Super Munchkin 1&2, Munchkin Bites 1&2, Munchkin Fu, Star Munchkin Deluxe and Star 2
      http://ghornet.deviantart.com/

Comment

• Originally posted by Ghornet2 View Post
        If not an on going series I wouldn't mind a series of mini series telling of Doc in different eras he's lived through (50's 60's etc). Maybe with a bit of the feel of the comics of the era. Even a story about how Doc and his aids met, if not an adaption of 'Escape from Loki'.
        I second this!!

Comment

• Originally posted by Blinky McQuade View Post
          reprint of the Marvel Black and White magazines in a hardcover indicates it is an on-going.
          Reprinting 40 year old material about a character that is getting a new series isn't really evidence that the new series is an ongoing. It's just a way of getting more product out there.

Comment

• Originally posted by bluedevil2002 View Post
            Reprinting 40 year old material about a character that is getting a new series isn't really evidence that the new series is an ongoing. It's just a way of getting more product out there.
            Unlike the ongoing (but now ending) Shadow series, it does seem to make more sense to do discrete numbering of limited series when the creative team changes.

Comment

• 200th Doc Savage novel to feature Doc and The Shadow!

Will Murray continues to write new, authorized Doc Savage novels under the Kenneth Robeson byline. Bantam Books began publishing them in 1991, and published 7 of Will's Doc novels (based on notes, outlines and fragments from the estate of Lester Dent) through 1993. They are:
              #184 - Python Isle (Oct. 1991)
              #185 - White Eyes (Mar. 1992)
              #186 - The Frightened Fish (Jul. 1992)
              #187 - The Jade Ogre (Oct. 1992)
              #188 - Flight Into Fear (Mar. 1993)
              #189 - The Whistling Wraith (Jul. 1993)
              #190 - The Forgotten Realm (Nov. 1993)

Then Bantam discontinued the Doc Savage series, and no new novels were published until 2011, when Altus Press began publishing a new authorized series of Doc novels, again written by Will writing as Kenneth Robeson:
              #191 - The Desert Demons (Jul. 2011)
              #192 - Horror in Gold (Nov. 2011)
              #193 - The Infernal Buddah (May 2012)
              #194 - Death's Dark Domain (Sep. 2012)
              #195 - Skull Island (Mar. 2013)
              #196 - The Miracle Menace (Sep. 2013)
              #197 - Phantom Lagoon (Dec. 2013)
              #198 - The War Makers (Apr. 2014)

Skull Island featured a Doc story involving King Kong, which was pretty special, but now with the 200th Doc novel fast approaching, Will has announced that if all goes well, it will feature the story many pulp hero fans have dreamt of for decades, a meeting with The Shadow! I can't think of anyone better qualified to do so, as Will spent a lot of time with Shadow creator Walter Gibson, and co-authored The Shadow Scrapbook with him. Will also wrote the first book-length history of the Shadow's pulp years, The Duende History of The Shadow Magazine, which even after nearly 30 years still stands as the definitive reference source for Shadow enthusiasts. For many years, after forming a friendship with Lester Dent's widow, Will was the only one with access to all of his original papers and notes. With the expansive space allowed for in a prose novel, and the acknowledged expertise of the author, this crossover story should surpass any done in the comics.

Comment

• Should be real interesting. I've read a few of Murray's Doc Savage novels and they were pretty good.

Let's not forget 'Escape From Camp Loki' by Philip Jose Farmer. Also authorized and it tells how Doc and his five aids met at a prison camp during WW1.
                Munchkin 1, 2, 4, 7 Super Munchkin 1&2, Munchkin Bites 1&2, Munchkin Fu, Star Munchkin Deluxe and Star 2

Comment

• But the prices!

Looks like they sell for list price of $24.95 each as paperback.

I remember when I use to pick up the old Bantam pocket book reprints back in the 1970s for less than a buck each.

(Yes, I'm old.)

Comment

• Originally posted by MajorHoy View Post
                    But the prices!

Looks like they sell for list price of $24.95 each as paperback.

I remember when I use to pick up the old Bantam pocket book reprints back in the 1970s for less than a buck each.

(Yes, I'm old.)
                    Likwise. (old that is) I started picking them up when they were 60 cents.

the 24.95 books are the pulp style reprints with 2 or 3 stories in them.

Comment

• Originally posted by Ghornet2 View Post
                      Likwise. (old that is) I started picking them up when they were 60 cents.

the 24.95 books are the pulp style reprints with 2 or 3 stories in them.
                      I wish I HAD (a dime, quarter, fifty cents, etc.) for every time someone told me "I remember when they were (a dime, quarter, fifty cents, etc.)".

Remember, glass half empty = glass half full. You have look for the silver lining in every dark cloud and be an eternal optimist.

Just think about the fact that someday people are going to bemoaning high prices and thinking back to the 'Good Ole Days' when "I remember when comic books were only four dollars, and you could buy a paperback for twenty-five bucks... (*sigh*)".

Actually, the Will Murray original Doc Savage books are just a single novel (but a much longer one than was typical for Doc Savage when it was a pulp magazine). Ironically, the older Doc stories ARE being reprinted by a different company, in a "double" format (2 Doc Savage pulp stories per volume) at $15 each.

The reason these paperbacks prices are on the high side is that they are "Print On Demand", i.e. each copy is individually custom-printed for each customer who orders one. Yes, there is a machine that is like a giant copier that will take computer graphics files of each page and the covers and figure out how to print and bind them all together in the correct order. Or at least a series of machines (one to print and collate pages, another to cut and bind them into a book).

The original "mass market" paperback revolution brought cheap reading enjoyment to millions, because the books were printed and bound cheaply, produced in the hundreds of thousands of copies range, and distributed nationwide to every small point-of-purchase retail establishment in the country. Prior to that, hardcover books were more expensive to produce, printed in much lower quantities, and had nothing like the range of distribution of the later mass-market paperbacks. Now the pendulum swings back the opposite way. Books that wouldn't appeal to hundreds of thousands of consumers can still be produced profitably (and with no wasted or returned copies) by niche-marketing them and only printing exactly as many copies as needed.
                      Last edited by pulphero; 05-19-2014, 01:45 AM.

Comment

• Doc Savage Annual 2014

Price: $5.99
                        Shipping: In-Stock!
                        Related Products:

SKU: C72513021640301011
                        Rating: Teen +
                        Covers: Roberto Castro
                        Writer: Shannon Eric Denton
                        Art: Roberto Castro
                        Genre: Science Fiction, Media Tie-In
                        Publication Date: Jun 2014
                        Format: Comic Book
                        Page Count: 48 pages
                        UPC: 725130216403 01011
                        ON SALE DATE: May 21
                        Doc Savage and the Ghosts of War: After the recent loss of a squadmate from the War To End All Wars, Doc will travel to South America to connect with an old love and reassess his place in the world. His sabbatical is anything but relaxing as Doc confronts a mysterious ghost-army, a secret league of scientists and all the dangers of an ancient death-temple but these encounters are nothing compared to what Doc will discover about himself...a truth that will change Doc Savage forever.
                        http://www.dynamite.com/htmlfiles/vi...13021640301011

Actually, on sale this coming Wednesday (May 28th).
                        And for a preview, see http://www.comicbookresources.com/?p...eview&id=21823.

Comment

• Doc Savage #6 (of 8)

Price: $3.99
                          Shipping: In-Stock!
                          Related Products:

SKU: C72513021103306011
                          Covers: Alex Ross
                          Writer: Chris Roberson
                          Art: Bilquis Evely
                          Genre: Super-hero, Adventure
                          Publication Date: May 2014
                          Page Count: 32 pages
                          UPC: 725130211033 06011
                          ON SALE DATE: May 14
                          As the millennium draws to a close in 2000, Doc Savage's operation has expanded into a world-wide network of call centers and helpdesks, enabling him to assist more people than ever. But when a terrorist organization hacks into Doc's servers and cripples the infrastructure with a malicious virus, countless lives are put at risk. And as planes begin to fall from the skies, can even the Man of Bronze save them all?
                          http://www.dynamite.com/htmlfiles/vi...13021103306011

Actually, currently due out June 4th.
                          http://www.tfaw.com/Comics/Profile/D...age-6___449297

Comment

• Doc Savage #7 (of 8)

Price: $3.99
                            Shipping: June, 2014
                            Related Products:

SKU: C72513021103307011
                            Covers: Alex Ross
                            Writer: Chris Roberson
                            Art: Bilquis Evely
                            Genre: Super-hero, Adventure
                            Publication Date: Jun 2014
                            Page Count: 32 pages
                            UPC: 725130211033 07011
                            ON SALE DATE: June 11
                            Limited to initial orders.
                            #7 - any combination - may also order one copy of the RARE John Cassaday Black and White cover for every 5 copies ordered.
                            Limited to initial orders.
                            When his adventures began in 1933, Doc Savage was aided by five loyal associates. By 2014, his
                            operation is truly global in reach, thanks to a smart phone of Doc's own design that allows anyone anywhere to ask for help
                            or help others in return, and millions of people take part every day. But when everyone using the device is suddenly and
                            without warning becomes immediately violent and aggressive, Doc might only have himself to blame...
                            http://www.dynamite.com/htmlfiles/vi...13021103307011
                            Well, considering #6 isn't due out until June 4th, I think that June 11th date may be . . . questionable.
                            Comiclist.com (http://www.comiclist.com/index.php/l...2014#more24292) has it currently expected to be out June 25th.
                            (http://www.tfaw.com/Comics/Profile/D...age-7___451359)

Comment

• Just finished the annual. Interesting. We get to see a young Doc still struggling to find his place in the world and to find some mental balance. Didn't care for the cover but the interior art was very good.

Comment

• I have to disagree with some of the characterization here. The pulps characterized Doc as being awkward around women due to his unusual upbringing, so his having a casual sexual liaison with Teresita in Mexico seems wildly out of character. I could accept that some of that awkwardness wore off later in the 1940s as he got older and his character evolved with the series, but this story is set even before the first pulp novel, The Man of Bronze, where Doc (despite his degree) is still pretty young. I could probably overlook it if there was some important plot point involved, but the scene is just thrown in gratuitously for no real reason.

Unfortunately, this follows the trend of most Dynamite Annuals in being a pretty lightweight, disposable episode.
                                Last edited by pulphero; 05-31-2014, 06:23 AM.

Comment

Working...
                                X