The Doc Savage series MEGATHREAD!

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• MikeM
    started a topic The Doc Savage series MEGATHREAD!

The Doc Savage series MEGATHREAD!

Dynamite is doing great with all their pulp books and I love all of them!
    But where is Doc Savage? DC dropped the ball with their Doc Savage comic and pulp based world.

We need Doc Savage!

• Ghornet2
    replied
    Nice wrap up to a fun mini series. I really liked the minor bits about how one of Doc's aids doesn't have a nickname, That in the end she got a nickname that wem found out in a very offhanded way and that Longshot's phone rings with Doc's famous 'trill'.

What I like most of all is that in a recent interview it was definitivly refered to as 'Our first Doc Savage Mini Series'.

Leave a comment:

Guest replied
    I enjoyed the 8 issues of Doc Savage! It did not knock all the balls out of the park but it was a great introduction to this great pulp character to the DE universe. By establishing his eternal youth, now DE can be free to tell stories set in the original 1930s/40s (like in the upcoming Justice Inc. series) and could tell modern stories (like the Spider, Green Hornet Legacy, and Shadow Now series). Doc is still true to his oath, inventions, and drive for justice. Doc continues to surround himself with aides with scientific expertise. My only regret with the series is that we are not able to explore the different time periods supporting cast in detail. Perhaps future stories will reveal this aspect. Rich personalities like Monk, Ham, Renny, Johnny, and Long Tom benefited from multiple stories and the Monk/Ham relationship (that influenced Bones/Spock and Thing/Torch in later fantastic fiction) will be missed in the later time period stories unless future stories develop a similar relationship. It was disappointing that Pat's youth was fading (perhaps Doc can reverse that as Pat is a great humanity influx for Doc--similar to Judge Anderson adds humanity to Judge Dredd). I am pleased to have Doc Savage back in comics! Is it too early to hope that Justice Inc. will be a series of miniseries? I could see stories of that trio of stars be able to take place in the classic time period alternating with the NOW time period. Maybe DE could feature both Justice Inc.(featuring Doc, Shadow, and the Avenger) and Masks (featuring Spider, Green Hornet, Miss Fury, Zorro, etc.) as a series of mini series? I would ask for the same of King's Watch (as I am enjoying immensely the Flash Gordon series) but I am concerned about the rights of the Phantom character with the new Hermes mini series that is coming in a couple months. I am excited about the upcoming Pulp offerings of DE--return of John Carter Warlord of Mars, the Lone Ranger, etc. DE is doing great!

Leave a comment:

Guest replied
    Originally posted by pulphero View Post
    You could simply begin at issue #1, and continue to read them in sequence until you get to #8.
    Oh, I will, but I meant with the other plausibly-in-the-same-world books, when I can afford them, too. I have a spreadsheet for it. (Currently I am getting a backlog of books at my comics shop.)

Leave a comment:

• pulphero
    replied
    Originally posted by ChastMastr View Post
    Aha, thank you! Since they jump from decade to decade I wondered if it was in the future...

(Keeping track of these things so that when I can afford to pick them up I'll read them in chronological order, because I'm like that.)
    You could simply begin at issue #1, and continue to read them in sequence until you get to #8. It only moves forward, it doesn't jump back and forth in time. Furthermore, while you *could* read the individual issues out of sequence as stand-alone stories (except for the 2-parter in #7-8), if you did you would miss important background information, because stories that take place in the past have effects on Doc's future adventures. If I had to bet, I think they might wind up using the cover of issue #8 on the TPB collection as a nice visual summary of the series.

Click image for larger version

Name:	DocSavage08Cov50OnlyRossVirg.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	85.6 KB
ID:	48874
    Last edited by pulphero; 08-04-2014, 01:32 AM.

Leave a comment:

• Lobster Johnson
    replied
    I'm gonna miss this book. It was a good, solid read every month.

Leave a comment:

Guest replied
    Aha, thank you! Since they jump from decade to decade I wondered if it was in the future...

(Keeping track of these things so that when I can afford to pick them up I'll read them in chronological order, because I'm like that.)

Leave a comment:

• pulphero
    replied
    Originally posted by ChastMastr View Post
    A quick Q but no spoilers please--what year does the last issue take place in?
    It's not a secret. If you read issue #7, the story continues directly from the end of that. Which is to say, the present.

Leave a comment:

Guest replied
    A quick Q but no spoilers please--what year does the last issue take place in?

Leave a comment:

• pulphero
    replied
    The "subscription" covers (Cassaday's, in this instance) are supposed to be unlimited. That means there's no requirement for your LCS to purchase any set quantities of the "regular" cover (Ross's in this case) to order as many of the Cassaday covers as his subscribers request (in practice, they can become sold out quickly once the book has actually shipped, so if you want the Cassaday, he should be ordering before Diamond's Final Order Cutoff (FOC) date (varies from publisher to publisher, but usually around 4-5 weeks before the actual shipping date). But usually these orders will still be filled by Diamond right up to the shipping date, and, depending on the individual book, sometimes for a while after that. You won't get them the week they actually ship though, if your LCS orders it after the FOC. If your LCS is feeding you a line that it's not advance re-orderable prior to the shipping date, then he's BS-ing you.

Leave a comment:

• Ghornet2
    replied
    My LCBS got shorted AGAIN! It seems to be happening because of how Previews is handleing (or not) the alternate covers. Fingers crossed for next week.

Leave a comment:

• Lobster Johnson
    replied
    Doc Savage #8

A decent end to a decent series. Although the way Doc saved everyone did seem a little unbelievable, I liked this issue. Liked the last panel, too.

Leave a comment:

• Lobster Johnson
    replied
    Grrr. My LCS didn't get the Shadow #0, or Legenderry, or Lady Zorro. I don't usually get the other two, but I was looking forward to the Shadow! Or maybe the Archie fans that came to get the death issue bought the Dynamite books too.
    Last edited by Lobster Johnson; 07-16-2014, 07:29 PM.

Leave a comment:

• Ghornet2
    replied
    Hopefully I'll get my copy tommorow or Thursday. I've got my fingers crossed.

Leave a comment:

• Lobster Johnson
    replied
    Originally posted by pulphero View Post
    Many small comic shops are just barely hanging on, and can't afford to stock "a few copies of everything", especially with the glut of titles being published today.

If you want your LCS to stay in business and be there as a resource for you to purchase comics, you need to subscribe or otherwise make it clear to your retailer that you're committed to certain titles, especially if those titles are not part of Marvel and DC's major character franchises.

Remember, every unsold (and non-returnable for credit) copy of a comic book stuck sitting on a retailer's shelf at the end of the month negates the profit on a comic book he did sell. Most retailers can't psychically read your unexpressed wishes and desires, nor do they have the infinitely deep pockets to have everything available to everyone all the time.
    Another comic shop in the area had it. Not a bad issue, probably my favorite Doc Savage so far.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X