The Doc Savage series MEGATHREAD!

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The Doc Savage series MEGATHREAD!

Dynamite is doing great with all their pulp books and I love all of them!
    But where is Doc Savage? DC dropped the ball with their Doc Savage comic and pulp based world.

We need Doc Savage!

DC's got DOC SAVAGE. Sadly, despite the fact that their most recent attempt (2010-2012) to bring him into comics was really quite good (despite some truly awful artwork from the usually decent Howard Porter on the first story arc) nobody read it so it was cancelled after 18 issues.

Comment

Originally posted by LetsRollKato View Post
      DC's got DOC SAVAGE. Sadly, despite the fact that their most recent attempt (2010-2012) to bring him into comics was really quite good (despite some truly awful artwork from the usually decent Howard Porter on the first story arc) nobody read it so it was cancelled after 18 issues.
      No, it was really pretty terrible. The covers were nice, but the interior art AND story was awful. Doc Savage just doesn't work outside of the 1930s-1940s.
      DE pull list: Will Eisner's The Spirit: The Corpse Makers, ERB's The Greatest Adventure, Green Hornet '66 Meets The Spirit, PSP: Herokillers, KISS/Vampirella, Mighty Mouse

Comment

Originally posted by positronic View Post
        No, it was really pretty terrible. The covers were nice, but the interior art AND story was awful. Doc Savage just doesn't work outside of the 1930s-1940s.
        I would tend to agree. I have yet to see a modern take on Doc that works.
        The final issue of the series was only released digitally. I know DC had the rights to Doc, but do they still? I don't think they will be releasing a new series anytime soon. They are too busy with their new 52. (Which I personally don't care for either).

Comment

I'm guessing that DC still holds the rights.
          But since I doubt that they will be doing anything with it, the holders of the rights will start to farm it out as soon as they DC's hold is ready to expire.
          Dynamite, now is the time to prepare your presentation and be rerady to make a grab for the rights.

Comment

Originally posted by Kane View Post
            I'm guessing that DC still holds the rights.
            But since I doubt that they will be doing anything with it, the holders of the rights will start to farm it out as soon as they DC's hold is ready to expire.
            Dynamite, now is the time to prepare your presentation and be rerady to make a grab for the rights.
            Looks like that time is now!

http://www.digitalspy.ca/comics/news...oc-savage.html

Make it happen Dynamite.

Comment

Two things:

1) I seriously doubt that DE could do Will Eisner's The Spirit any kind of justice, and personally I'd rather they just pass on that one.

2) Doc Savage AND The Avenger, yes, by all means. But for gosh sakes, PLEASE don't try to update them. Maybe they can get those lined up in time for a MASKS: CHAPTER TWO.
              DE pull list: Will Eisner's The Spirit: The Corpse Makers, ERB's The Greatest Adventure, Green Hornet '66 Meets The Spirit, PSP: Herokillers, KISS/Vampirella, Mighty Mouse

Comment

How awesome would it be to read issue 4 of Masks and Doc Savage gets introduced?
                I know things like that doesn't happen nowadays with announcements and press releases a year before a book even comes out with issue 1, but it would still be amazing.

Comment

1) I seriously doubt that DE could do Will Eisner's The Spirit any kind of justice, and personally I'd rather they just pass on that one.
                  I disagree. Someone like Matt Wagner could do wonderfull things. Or Chris Roberson.

Comment

Originally posted by pulpfan View Post
                    I disagree. Someone like Matt Wagner could do wonderfull things. Or Chris Roberson.
                    Nobody was more surprised than me that both the DC Spirit series were readable. Especially since the last one was the only thing from "First Wave" that was readable. I have a feeling that it wouldn't be on the writing end that DE would fall down, though. Who knows, if they got a Wagner or a Roberson together with an Aaron Campbell or an Ivan Rodriguez or a Colton Worley, maybe it could work. Somehow I doubt we'd be that lucky, though. (The first guy who says "Jonathan Lau" gets a fat lip...!)

Somehow, I imagine The Spirit would more likely go to IDW or Dark Horse, if anywhere.

Comment

Nobody was more surprised than me that both the DC Spirit series were readable. Especially since the last one was the only thing from "First Wave" that was readable. I have a feeling that it wouldn't be on the writing end that DE would fall down, though. Who knows, if they got a Wagner or a Roberson together with an Aaron Campbell or an Ivan Rodriguez or a Colton Worley, maybe it could work. Somehow I doubt we'd be that lucky, though. (The first guy who says "Jonathan Lau" gets a fat lip...!)

Somehow, I imagine The Spirit would more likely go to IDW or Dark Horse, if anywhere.
                      I loved the actual First Wave mini-series. Only the Doc Savage series wasn't that good.

I really think Dynamite can get it right. So far, I think they only failed with the Phantom, but that's mostly because they decided to make a modern day version.

And just imagine, a universe that has:
                      The Shadow
                      The Spider
                      The Phantom
                      Mandrake the Magician
                      Green Hornet
                      Zorro
                      Doc Savage
                      The Spirit
                      The Avenger
                      Miss Fury
                      Green Lama
                      Black Bat
                      Miss Fury

Trully amazing! I would like to see the Rocketeer in here too, but that may be just me and the character is at IDW, with what I hear is a great series.

Comment

Originally posted by pulpfan View Post
                        I loved the actual First Wave mini-series.
                        Well, the art was good-looking anyway. The Blackhawks were a bunch of thugs, and I'm not sure what was up with Rima the Jungle Girl or Black Canary. Too many arbitrary changes to characters that at most needed only a slight tweaking in tone to work in a pulp milieu. I loved 100 Bullets, but in general I just can't follow Azarello's plots. Didn't make a whole lot of sense to me.

The irony here is that DC didn't need to license Doc Savage, The Avenger, and The Spirit to create a pulp-style universe. They already have a bunch of golden age characters that fit the bill perfectly (as proved by the inclusion of Batman): Sandman, Crimson Avenger, Dr. Midnite, Phantom Lady, Black Canary, Slam Bradley, Dr. Occult, Phantom Stranger, Zatara, etc. They should have let Matt Wagner write it and gone more along the direction of the earlier Sandman Mystery Theatre and Batman: Bad Moon Rising. I'm thinking someone like Peter Snejberg or Cliff Chiang for the artist (if not, say, Darwyn Cooke or Wagner himself). But, you know, set in the actual 1930s, not some parallel timeline with zeppelins and hats. No need to redesign any of the characters from the ground up. Maybe call it something like Gotham Mystery Analysts Club: 1939. If they could throw in Doc Savage, The Avenger and The Spirit on top of that, it would be like the icing on the cake.
                        Last edited by positronic; 12-29-2012, 06:20 AM.

Comment

Like with most of Dynamite's characters I'm unfamiliar with Doc Savage but if Dynamite got this character and updated his attire and made him accessible to a modern audience than I would totally check the series out. I really hope DE grabs some of these other pulp heroes available for print.

Comment

Doc's attire doesn't really need to be updated as much as it needs to be more 'realistic'. The comics have tended make him look a little bit ridiculous. He carried an 'autofire' pistol and had a 'utility'vest, that he sometimes wore, I think it pre-dated Batman's belt. Marvel put him in just a vest and not the utility vest at that. Just give him a shirt under the vest and he should look fine. Millenium did a pretty good job in their comics a few years ago.
                            Here's the micro I did that kind of combined several of his looks. It's not perfect but it's a start.
                            Attached Files
                            Last edited by Ghornet2; 12-29-2012, 10:50 AM.
                            Always remember, Murphy was an optimist
                            Munchkin 1, 2, 4, 7 Super Munchkin 1&2, Munchkin Bites 1&2, Munchkin Fu, Star Munchkin Deluxe and Star 2
                            http://ghornet.deviantart.com/

Comment

Savage would need a Year One before he could in properly integrated in DEU. I have always been sketchy on his origin and power set.

Comment

Working...
                              X