Who is your favorite pulp hero?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Who is your favorite pulp hero?

I was wondering who the most popular pulp hero among us die-hard fans of pulp is. I would guess the most popular is the Shadow, followed by GH (my favorite).
    The Shadow
    17.65%
    The Green Hornet
    17.65%
    Kato
    5.88%
    Miss Fury
    0.00%
    Doc Savage
    11.76%
    The Spider
    17.65%
    The Phantom
    5.88%
    Zorro
    5.88%
    Black Bat
    11.76%
    Other
    5.88%

I voted for but it's a close thing between GH, The Phantom Neither of whom are really pulp characters), and Doc Savage.

GH & The Phantom aren't really pulp characters. Same era but not from the pulps. If I were to go straight pulps Doc Shadow & Zorro.
    Always remember, Murphy was an optimist
    Munchkin 1, 2, 4, 7 Super Munchkin 1&2, Munchkin Bites 1&2, Munchkin Fu, Star Munchkin Deluxe and Star 2
    http://ghornet.deviantart.com/

Comment

The Phantom.

Comment

Yeah I know GH and Phantom aren't actually pulp, but I usually associate them with that genre.
        My favorite actual pulp character is probably The Shadow.
        Unless you count the Lone Ranger, who I think had a few pulps?

Comment

The Lone Ranger did have a short lived pulp magazine, as did Flash Gordon (for a single issue).

I note that your poll only includes those characters that have been adapted into comics by Dynamite (although you left out Green Lama), leaving out actual pulp heroes who have appeared in comics elsewhere (like The Avenger, Domino Lady, Phantom Detective, or G-8) and other comics and radio characters that usually get lumped into the "pulp" category along with the Phantom and Miss Fury (The Rocketeer, Captain Midnight, Airboy, Lobster Johnson, The Spirit). And what about pulp characters from different genres, like Edmond Hamilton's Captain Future, E.E. Smith's Gray Lensman, or any of the creations of Edgar Rice Burroughs or Robert E. Howard? And if we're including newspaper strips like Miss Fury and The Phantom, then why not Mandrake, Flash Gordon, or Buck Rogers?

It's also a hard question to answer because for me the answer depends a lot on the specific medium (comics, pulp magazines, radio, film) that I'm considering. Some of those characters had great specific versions in one medium and terrible versions in another medium. Even if we're just considering "pulp" characters in comic book form, some had great and not-so-great versions (The Shadow, Doc Savage, Green Hornet).

I guess for me it would come down to comparing which characters had, in comics, the greatest number of appearances in stories that were both entertaining in their own right, and faithful to the original conception of the character. Without actually adding up numbers of issues, I'd say that makes it a tie between The Shadow and Green Hornet, of the characters you actually listed to choose from. But Tarzan would certainly win overall if he were included, since I think he's had the greatest number of comics versions (newspaper strip and comic books) that were both faithful and of high quality. The Phantom would be right up there too, although in this case I'm thinking more of the newspaper strips than the various comic book versions.

If I were basing my choice solely on the pulp prose stories, that would make it much more difficult for me to choose. I'd probably come down to which character had the most well-written and entertaining stories by sheer volume, and that would make it The Shadow, although Doc Savage comes close.

And if we're considering *just* Dynamite's comic books, then I'd probably have to pick Green Hornet, both for kicking off the whole revival cycle, and having the two best series (Year One and Mark Waid's).
          Last edited by pulphero; 07-11-2014, 02:04 AM.

Comment

I went with The Spider, mainly because I LOVED his Dynamite series and really feel that if given a highly promoted mini with a big name attached that he could be successful and prove his worth to Dynamite in the end. I loved every one of his 18 issues that Dynamite Entertainment published and I felt he was the perfect blend of human and vigilante, all in all the book is legendary in my eyes.

Also, Green Hornet may not have had pulp magazines back in the day but he's associated with the heroes of the pulp/noir era and I do consider him pulp regardless of some "official" definition or not.

Comment

Yeah, I would've included a lot more characters (Tarzan, Green Lama) if the limit for my poll was higher than ten options. So I included characters published by Dynamite in the "pulp" category that I figured would be the most popular.
              If I had included characters from other companies, newspaper strips, etc., I would've voted for the Lobster.

Comment

I voted for The Spider but I have a soft spot for The Shadow and I loved Kevin Smiths run with GH in modern times.

I feel a Green Hornet 66 would go down a storm right now but leave out the campness

RALPH.

Comment

Hmm... A Green Hornet 66 series could do well, but I personally don't care about any version of GH besides the 40's one.
                  Plus, a Spider miniseries would be good. How long has it been since we saw the Spider? Since March?

Comment

Originally posted by Lobster Johnson View Post
                    Hmm... A Green Hornet 66 series could do well, but I personally don't care about any version of GH besides the 40's one.
                    Plus, a Spider miniseries would be good. How long has it been since we saw the Spider? Since March?
                    The Batman '66 Meets Green Hornet series isn't bad . . .

Click image for larger version

Name:	0000000 B66 GH 2.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	65.5 KB
ID:	48858

But I can't pick just one from the poll. The Shadow, Green Hornet & Kato, as well as Miss Fury would be up there, depending on when they're set and who's writing them.
                    Last edited by MajorHoy; 07-11-2014, 04:43 PM.

Comment

Yeah, the Batman '66/Green Hornet crossover is worth buying. Nowhere near as good as Mark Waid's GH, though.

Comment

My Favorites

1) Kato - I would love to read another Kato spotlight series.
                        2) Green Hornet - Green Hornet Year One was my favorite GH and Kato series.
                        3) The Phantom - I loved the Last Phantom
                        4) Zorro

Comment

Yeah, the Batman '66/Green Hornet crossover is worth buying. Nowhere near as good as Mark Waid's GH, though.
                          I agree. I'm enjoying the Batman '66/Green Hornet crossover, but Waid's GH run was fantastic!

Comment

GreenHornet0415, what did you think of the last issue of Waid's run? I loved it, even if it seemed a bit rushed.

Comment

GreenHornet0415, what did you think of the last issue of Waid's run? I loved it, even if it seemed a bit rushed.
                              Check out my podcast review of the issue for the answer to that question!

Comment

Working...
                              X