No announcement yet.

Masks II

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I wonder what they plan to do with Ebony.

Comment

Originally posted by pulphero View Post
      ...a Spirit crossover with Miss Fury would probably fit more comfortably into the Spirit tradition of femme fatales...
      Indeed! Good idea! NickyB, this is on my "want" list!

Comment

I think it is good to separate out the pulp characters since the last Masks seemed crowded.

With Justice Inc., Doc, the Shadow, and the Avenger (plus their respective organizations) are in that title.
        With King's Watch, Mandrake, Phantom, and Flash (plus their respective supporting characters) are in that title.

Who should be in Masks?

Here would be my dream team:
        Green Hornet and Kato--what a great concept--heroes pretending to be gang-leaders and therefore on run from cops and the rival mobs--legacy heroes to the present days
        The Spider--the ultimate death dealing vigilante (with great multicultural supporting cast)--maybe time traveler from last DE series
        Zorro--legacy of fighting for freedom--anti-establishment hero for justice--plus a rare Latino hero in pulps--legacy of Zorro passed on again
        Black Cat--great female hero and a time traveler at boot
        The Spirit--the detective that everyone thinks is dead (Ebony would be ok if he is drawn realistically maybe after the late Gary Coleman and his speech is not demeaning --Ebony was brought back under Eisner without the speech problems in the post WWII stories) --only way the Spirit could be in present day would for him to adopt the healing factor from that god awful movie

These stories could alternate from classic pulp era to modern era.

Maybe DE could reboot the Project Superpowers title? That way we could have a great pulp family title every week!!!
        Last edited by Blinky McQuade; 08-28-2014, 07:52 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Blinky McQuade View Post
          Maybe DE could reboot the Project Superpowers title?
          I think you missed this, Blinky.

http://www.comicbookresources.com/?p...ticle&id=52207

Comment

Just give me Alex Ross covers....I,m up for this

RALPH.

Comment

Well, we're getting to "late 2014" . . . has there been any further word on this yet?

Comment

Originally posted by MajorHoy View Post
                Well, we're getting to "late 2014" . . . has there been any further word on this yet?
                Probably posted elsewhere, but...

http://www.bleedingcool.com/2015/01/...-team-masks-2/

Dynamite has announced the full creative team for Masks 2, the sequel to 2012-2013’s Masks. Artist Eman Cassalos (Alice Cooper) joins writer Cullen Bunn (Deadpool) in a comic book event uniting such pulp characters as The Shadow, Peter Cannon: Thunderbolt, Lady Satan, Black Terror, Green Hornet, Zorro, and more. Masks 2 will feature covers by artists including Butch Guice, Jae Lee, Gabriel Hardman, Colton Worley, Sean Chen, and Robert Hack.

The original Masks series launched in 2012 with its #1 issue selling over 70,000 copies. Drawn to the premise by the work of painter Alex Ross, writer Chris Roberson, and artist Dennis Calero, readers thrilled to an adventure that united classic characters like The Shadow, The Spider, The Green Hornet, and Kato against a cadre of corrupt politicians and their fascist police state. Masks 2 promises to expand the scope dramatically beyond even what the first series presented, while simultaneously serving as an entry point for new, curious readers.

“I’m introducing a new villain called the Red Death who is plaguing the heroes in three different time periods,” says Bunn. “Again and again, she resurfaces, in the ’30s, the ’70s, and the present day. Her agenda is a bit of a mystery… but our heroes will start to see just how dangerous the Red Death can be. Her machinations definitely have the potential to bring all of civilization to ruin.”
                Check the link for covers and interior art.

First Comics News (which I can't access right now) explains through a longer version of the release that the story takes place in three time periods, 30's, 70's and current. So some characters may meet counterparts, Green Hornet and Kato being the most obvious example (and the one actually used).

Comment

This looks more interesting than Black Cross, and I'm always up for a time travel story.

Comment

Originally posted by rasx View Post
                    This looks more interesting than Black Cross, and I'm always up for a time travel story.
                    Here's what I wanted to add:

The complete Masks 2 roster of pulp heroes, gathered from different periods in time, includes: The Shadow, Green Hornet, Kato, Black Terror, The Spider, Green Lama, Lady Satan, Black Sparrow, Miss Fury, Peter Cannon: Thunderbolt, Black Bat, and Zorro. However, readers should expect the unexpected when dealing with these characters. Bunn says, “We’re working with a cast of existing and new characters who span three different timelines. For some characters, like the Green Hornet, we’ll be seeing multiple versions of those characters. We might even be seeing those various versions of those characters interacting with each other! So, the Green Hornet and Kato of the 30s will be meeting their modern day counterparts face-to-face. It’s a very ambitious, wild story. There were moments where, in the middle of writing this beast, I wondered if I’d bitten off way more than I could chew. But it’s come together, and I’m really excited for readers to dig in.”

And I agree, this appeals to me more than Blackcross.

As poor as the Gren Hornet Legacy book had gotten, it was nice to see that Hornet and Kato front and center on one of the Masks2 covers. And I like the additions to the cast in Lady Satan and Peter Cannon. Very much looking forward to this.
                    Last edited by Captain Canuck; 01-22-2015, 05:06 PM.

Comment

It sounds like the key here is not just three different time periods, but three different timelines that don't share a common history.

The pulp "Crisis on Three Earths".

I like Cullen Bunn, but I'd be more excited about it if the interior artwork previewed wasn't so... meh. Really, a crossover involving this many iconic characters is deserving of the best artwork DE can manage, and I know they've got better artists than this.

That Mike Chen cover looks great. Why didn't they get him to draw the story?

Click image for larger version

Name:	Masks 2 #1.JPG
Views:	1
Size:	52.1 KB
ID:	48951
                      Last edited by pulphero; 01-23-2015, 02:36 AM.

Comment

The pulp "Crisis on Three Earths".
                        Hey, everyone else is doing it. Even World of Warcraft has a new expansion in which the characters go to an alternate timeline/universe in which major events happened differently. http://www.wowwiki.com/World_of_Warc...rds_of_Draenor Maybe it's just some weird "alternate realities are 'in' this season" zeitgeist. (Not even counting Legenderry and the Altered States stuff!)

Comment

I'm really excited for Masks 2, I felt the first series was amazing and always felt like Dynamite should make this a yearly gathering of thief classic and pulp heroes. Count me in! Anybody think we may see a Masks 3 somewhere down the line?

Comment

First masks was amazing, can't wait for part 2!!! I want a part 3 aftER, but without the Looooong wait

Comment

Originally posted by ChastMastr View Post
                              Hey, everyone else is doing it. Even World of Warcraft has a new expansion in which the characters go to an alternate timeline/universe in which major events happened differently. http://www.wowwiki.com/World_of_Warc...rds_of_Draenor Maybe it's just some weird "alternate realities are 'in' this season" zeitgeist. (Not even counting Legenderry and the Altered States stuff!)
                              Add BLACKCROSS to the list.

I generally like Cullen Bunn's stuff. Not so sure about the art on MASKS 2.

Comment

The interior Art???

Add BLACKCROSS to the list.

I generally like Cullen Bunn's stuff. Not so sure about the art on MASKS 2.
                                "And there-in lies the rub."

Comment

Working...
                                X