No announcement yet.

Masks II

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Thought this was a really good first issue. I actually got a thrill seeing the pulp-era Green Hornet and Kato again, especially seeing them team up in light of their recent mini-series. And I was more pleased to see the Black Terror taking on a stronger role within the story than he did last time.

All in all, a good start to what will hopefully warrant a Masks 3.

Comment

I'm fairly unimpressed by what I saw in issue #1. Will probably keep reading more for the curiosity factor than anything else, but so far the story hasn't given me any sort of meaty "hook" to engage my interest much, beyond the general idea of a multiversal event of some sort. Artwork here is mediocre/pedestrian at best. You'd think they'd have treated this series with a little more prestige because of all the characters involved and the long wait since the first series, and assigned the art to one of DE's top artistic talents.

Comment

Issue #2 was a bit of a disappointment. They used a whole issue (1/8 of the series?) to create "new" 1970s versions of Miss Fury and . . . Black Sparrow?!?

Comment

Click image for larger version

Name:	SSMasqKatoCovATan.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	26.7 KB
ID:	48989

Don't forget, the Swords of Sorrow special issue with Masquerade and the female Kato came out this past Wednesday.

http://www.dynamite.com/htmlfiles/vi...13023170301011

Comment

G'day,

Yeah, got it. Rather ordinary.

Ralph

Originally posted by MajorHoy View Post
            [ATTACH]1026[/ATTACH]

Don't forget, the Swords of Sorrow special issue with Masquerade and the female Kato came out this past Wednesday.

http://www.dynamite.com/htmlfiles/vi...13023170301011

Comment

Originally posted by pulphero View Post
              . . . You'd think they'd have treated this series with a little more prestige because of all the characters involved and the long wait since the first series, and assigned the art to one of DE's top artistic talents.
              Does Dynamite have much in terms of "top artistic talents" these days?

Comment

Does Dynamite have much in terms of "top artistic talents" these days?
                Depends on your definition, I guess. I tend not to confuse "artistic talent" with things like celebrity, popularity, or page rates. If you want to put it on an absolute percentage basis compared to the big companies, then the simple answer is probably "no", and for good reason... there are practical considerations to take into account on the artists' part. A small company like Dynamite simply does not have the resources to offer the kind of pay rates that a corporate-owned giant like Marvel or DC does. I note that Alex Ross is providing far fewer covers for DE lately than was the case only a few years ago, while Marvel is currently keeping him very busy. Still, there are (and have been) artists for whom other considerations outweigh those of purely financial incentives -- Steve Ditko being a notable example. However, Mr. Ditko does not have (to my knowledge) a family to support, so there's that to consider, as well.

Whether someone like, for example, Aaron Campbell, Patrick Berkenkotter, Ronilson Freire, Jackson Herbert, Abhishek Malsuni, Esteve Polls, Evan Shaner, or J. Michael Linsner fits your definition of a "top artistic talent" is, I suppose, ultimately a subjective judgment. I think they do, but then I'm just judging by what I see on the page, not by how well-known their names are.
                Last edited by pulphero; 06-04-2015, 04:15 AM.

Comment

Depends on your definition, I guess. I tend not to confuse "artistic talent" with things like celebrity, popularity, or page rates.
                  I'm not, either. I'm defining "artistic talent" as artwork I can enjoy looking at, and too often Dynamite has art that is lacking in quality. Sometimes it barely qualifies as "serviceable", and if it takes away from enjoyment of the reading experience, it makes me less likely to buy future issues.

Comment

MASKS 2 #3 (OF 8)

ON SALE DATE: 6/3
                    Peter Cannon AKA Thunderbolt smashes his way into the struggle against the Red Death! The mysterious villain has plagued the heroes of three different timelines. Her scheming is even more dangerous than anyone could possibly guess, but now the adventures of the masked heroes of the last 80 years are coming together in a way no one could possibly imagine!

Cover A Main: Butch Guice
                    UPC: 725130226976 03011
                    Cover B Variant: Jae Lee
                    UPC: 725130226976 03021
                    Writer: Cullen Bunn
                    Art: Eman Casallos
                    Anybody else buy this issue? Again, it seems like Bunn is taking his time in introducing his characters and the different timelines we're dealing with, but hopefully next issue things will move forward at a better pace. (Hell, we're almost half-way through this series already!)

Comment

Anybody else buy this issue? Again, it seems like Bunn is taking his time in introducing his characters and the different timelines we're dealing with, but hopefully next issue things will move forward at a better pace. (Hell, we're almost half-way through this series already!)
                      Yeah, good example of why stories like Masks 2 (and Blackcross) made me decide I'm better off waiting for the trade paperback. I read the first issues of both, but my odds are better of reading the reviews, then deciding whether to gamble rolling the dice on the TPB or not. At any rate, it's got to enhance the odds of reading comprehension.

Comment

Yeah, good example of why stories like Masks 2 (and Blackcross) made me decide I'm better off waiting for the trade paperback. I read the first issues of both, but my odds are better of reading the reviews, then deciding whether to gamble rolling the dice on the TPB or not. At any rate, it's got to enhance the odds of reading comprehension.
                        My only fear on tpb waiting sometimes is that if too many people do that, Dynamite will interpret it as "no real interest in this".

Comment

My only fear on tpb waiting sometimes is that if too many people do that, Dynamite will interpret it as "no real interest in this".
                          I look at it as part of the natural cycle of things. I've put in a good many decades as an "early adopter", now I get to hang back and let someone else do the job. Plus I've been 'double-dipping' for the better part of a decade on a lot of stuff. I just prefer my comics in book format. The stories read better as a complete unit, I can do without the ads that break up the story pages, and I can stop fretting about which cover to get, or if I'll be able to get the cover I really want, or if I'll somehow wind up missing an issue, or damaging the comic book when handling it, bagging and boarding, and on and on. DC has known for years with the Vertigo line that that's where their real money is.

Comment

I'm not, either. I'm defining "artistic talent" as artwork I can enjoy looking at, and too often Dynamite has art that is lacking in quality. Sometimes it barely qualifies as "serviceable", and if it takes away from enjoyment of the reading experience, it makes me less likely to buy future issues.
                            Yeah, they do have a lot of hacks. But that doesn't mean they don't have some really good artists, too. Marvel and DC are full of (IMO) hack artists as well, although they obviously also have some really good ones. I named the names of some of the ones at DE I think are really talented. Admittedly, the artist of Masks 2 was not one of them. I think I noted this in a comment from some time ago, when the artwork was first previewed... and going back to where we began, why didn't DE put someone like one of the artists I named on this book? Well, it's the curse of the sequel, I guess. Even Masks (the original miniseries) was no great shakes in the art department after the first issue and covers by Alex Ross, and I made mention of that at the time it came out, as well.

Comment

Read Masks 2 #4, and I really wondering what the hell Cullen Bunn is doing with this story.

Has The Spider previously been written as having an Einstein-genius type of I.Q. before? Because in this issue they're saying / implying
                              [spoiler]

SPOILER!

FINAL SPOILER WARNING

I'M NOT KIDDING!!

. . . he was able to invent a time machine, and the villain gained control of it.

Comment

Is that... more or less implied, or you're left to assume due to nothing else in the way of information being offered, or do they outright state that HE was the one who came up with it? And if it's the latter, then yeah, that is bizarre.

I mean, if this isn't the end of the story, isn't it possible that there's some physics genius lurking behind the scenes that hasn't been seen on-panel? At least that would seem to make more sense. Or is it possible that this could be some weird variant doppleganger of The Spider seen in his own DE series or the 1940s one from the first MASKS? Like from some other timeline where it just happens that he IS a genius?
                                Last edited by pulphero; 07-06-2015, 06:33 AM.

Comment

Working...
                                X