No announcement yet.

Masks II

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

It is more or less stated, but I took it to mean that he was a tinkerer and stumbled across it

"I have dabbled on the fringes of science." is how The Spider refers to it.

Sounds kind of unintended to me.
    Always remember, Murphy was an optimist
    Munchkin 1, 2, 4, 7 Super Munchkin 1&2, Munchkin Bites 1&2, Munchkin Fu, Star Munchkin Deluxe and Star 2
    http://ghornet.deviantart.com/

Comment

Originally posted by Ghornet2 View Post
      It is more or less stated, but I took it to mean that he was a tinkerer and stumbled across it

"I have dabbled on the fringes of science." is how The Spider refers to it.

Sounds kind of unintended to me.
      A hell of an "unintended" result, though.

And what's also bizarre is that the "Golden Age" Miss Fury somehow gained the ability to travel through time in her own recent Dynamite solo series, but I have no idea if that will come up at all during Masks 2.

Comment

Originally posted by MajorHoy View Post
        A hell of an "unintended" result, though.
        I'd say so but doesn't that cover half of the Golden Age origins.
        Munchkin 1, 2, 4, 7 Super Munchkin 1&2, Munchkin Bites 1&2, Munchkin Fu, Star Munchkin Deluxe and Star 2

Comment

Originally posted by Ghornet2 View Post
          I'd say so but doesn't that cover half of the Golden Age origins.
          ... mongoose blood gives you super-speed, for instance ...

Comment

Issue #5 is due out this week (on Wednesday the 12th). I'm really at a loss as to if / how it will logically come together at this point.

I'm hoping issue #5 will be bit more satisfying than the last few, but is the idea of time-travel and dinosaurs turning into a bit of a cliché for Dynamite events? (Aren't they also involving time-travel and dinosaurs for part of Swords of Sorrow?)

Comment

Issue #5 is due out this week (on Wednesday the 12th). I'm really at a loss as to if / how it will logically come together at this point.

I'm hoping issue #5 will be bit more satisfying than the last few, but is the idea of time-travel and dinosaurs turning into a bit of a cliché for Dynamite events? (Aren't they also involving time-travel and dinosaurs for part of Swords of Sorrow?)
              But there HAS to be both time and parallel dimensional travel for Swords of Sorrow to happen, doesn't there, given all the characters involved? (Although the dinosaurs on Jungle Girl's island exist in the present time.) I don't think a MASKS 2 required that of necessity, but given that they wanted to involve alternate-universe counterparts of the same characters (Green Hornet and Kato, for example) living in different time periods... I don't know if it makes any sense. I haven't been reading it, because nobody's really given me a reason to.

Comment

Originally posted by ChastMastr View Post
                ... mongoose blood gives you super-speed, for instance ...
                Not only that, but if a human being required a blood transfusion, that would mean that he'd lost quite a bit of blood. Mongooses are pretty small compared to humans, so they would each have a pretty small volume of blood. You'd need a lot of mongooses to drain a large enough volume of blood to transfuse a human with. And who the hell thought that was going to work, anyway? Animal blood isn't going to be compatible with human blood. Even human blood isn't compatible if it isn't the right blood type.

I can't believe Roy Thomas never retconned that origin story. Although when he was playing with the idea that the Whizzer might be Wanda and Pietro's real father, he certainly seemed to be vaguely hinting that the Whizzer was a mutant as well.

But sure, whatever. I guess if having tiny little wings on his ankles allows the Sub-Mariner to fly, then mongoose blood transfusions give you super-speed. Or maybe when you lose a lot of blood, you just get light-headed and hallucinate a lot!
                Last edited by pulphero; 08-12-2015, 01:40 PM.

Comment

By the way, it doesn't necessarily look good for July's Masks 2. I found the Top 300 Comic Books list for July (which is mostly what's ordered by comic book shops from Diamond) and couldn't even find Masks 2 on the list. That would mean it sold fewer copies than the book at the 300th spot (Bart Simpson Comics #97, which was listed at 5,446 copies).

For comparison, last month had Masks 2 #3 at 5,287 copies, so it might not have been a decline from June to July. Who knows?

Comment

Bought and read Masks 2 #5 yesterday and was disappointed. The story felt to me like it's barely moving forward with any significant progress.

Oh, there were things we saw / learned, but it didn't feel like it really needed the entire issue just for those small portions, and I really don't remember seeing / learning anything more about the villain and why all this is happening.

Comment

Bought and read Masks 2 #5 yesterday and was disappointed. The story felt to me like it's barely moving forward with any significant progress.

Oh, there were things we saw / learned, but it didn't feel like it really needed the entire issue just for those small portions, and I really don't remember seeing / learning anything more about the villain and why all this is happening.
                      Likewise. This is definitely one of those written for the TPB mini series. I often wish they would just release things like this as a TPB, but then they sale would suffer because some people wouldn't pick it up and some people that picked it up at the start just hang on until the end hopeing.

Comment

I do wish if they did give us a Masks 3 they'd avoid the time travel stuff. Concentrate on one era, more like they had with the first mini-series. They can maybe make it more about fighting Nazi spies and sabotage or something like that.

Heroes I'd love to see in a third one would be:
                        * The Shadow
                        * Green Hornet and Kato
                        * The Spider
                        * Black Bat
                        * The Spirit (if licensing would allow it)
                        * Miss Fury
                        * Miss Masque / Masquerade (though that might require a little time-shifting for when she started her career)
                        * Lady in Red
                        * The Death-Defying 'Devil (Golden Age Daredevil)
                        * The Green Mask
                        * The Owl

Comment

MASKS 2 #8 ( OF 8 )

MASKS 2 #8 ( OF 8 )
                          Writer: Cullen Bunn
                          Art: Eman Casallos
                          Genre: Superhero, Crime Noir
                          ON SALE DATE: November 18

The masked heroes have been cast through time and twisted into strange versions of themselves. Now, they make one last attempt to set things right... without damaging the time stream any more than they already have. The final confrontation with the Red Death will lead to the emergence of a new masked hero!
                          (http://www.dynamite.com/htmlfiles/vi...13022697608011)Anybody else getting the feeling that the "new masked hero" will be . . .

. . . the former villain Red Death, who because of the heroes changing the past will instead become The Woman in Red or Madame Masque / Masquerade?

Comment

Originally posted by Lobster Johnson View Post
                            I hope they leave Zorro and Black Terror out of it. I like both of those characters, but they didn't fit in with the rest of the cast.
                            Only because Dynamite insists on sticking to their backwards Zorro (who they think like Batman) must now never use a gun.
                            Even though McCulley, Fairbanks, Power, Williams (Disney), etc. all had him use a gun((black-powder pistol).
                            As well as several of the Legacy, Republic serial characters, who updated to revolvers, Dynamite seems to insist on ignoring all this.
                            Not trying to rehash an argument here, just pointing out they had the perfect already established 1930s pulp era Zorro, in Zorro Rides Again's James (Santiago) Vega, the great grandson of Diego,

http://i.imgur.com/DzhHRbF.jpg?1

Love this shot of him fighting mobsters on a city roof top, swinging from buildings, dodging bullets, and racing to his black sedan bellow, driven by Bernardo. ...all (like his pulp contemporaries) before Batman

http://imagehost4.online-image-edito...kiIyQ9urEY.gif

http://i19.photobucket.com/albums/b1...ain%201937.gif

He would have fit in perfectly with Pulp era cast of MASKS.
                            The rich playboy (in this case inherited G.Grandfather's fortune, Railroad Tycoon), an urban setting, riding alongside automobiles, swinging from buildings, fighting mobsters and racketeers, and of course using "modern" revolvers, etc... (they could add Fighting Legion's retractable sword for the "gadget" update).

Dynamit to their credit, cleverly looked to the Movie-Serials for their Spider reinvention, why not Zorro?

Hopefully if there's a MASKS III they consider a Zorro closer to this incarnation, which actually existed alongside the other pulp heroes.
                            Last edited by Guicho; 11-17-2015, 09:21 AM.

Comment

Maybe they just don't want a Zorro who uses guns. *shrug*

Comment

Been re-reading this from the beginning, and it reads a lot better as a continuous reading rather than a monthly. The story's pretty dense, but it makes more sense when you see it unfolding issue to issue (and can keep the various elements in your mind). Really like it a lot more now than I had been. The art is really good too.

I think the suggestion that the new hero may be the Woman in Red or Masquerade might be right. Either of those would seem suitable given the themes of the storyline.

Hopefully we'll get a Masks 3. I've actually been enjoying these big crossovers of the DE pulp properties.

Comment

Working...
                                X