No announcement yet.

WARLORD OF MARS RETURNING IN NOVEMBER!!

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

BB: At what point in John Carter’s life are we exploring in this new title? Does it take over where the last volume of Warlord of Mars left off, with that continuity?

RM: No, we’re not picking up from any specific continuity, we wanted the series to be completely new reader-friendly, not dependent upon any familiarity with the previous series. Honestly, readers won’t even need to be familiar with the novels. The first issue sets up the characters and the world, everything you need to know. The goal is to tell great stories that anyone can read, with John Carter in his prime.
    I do wonder if this means it could be set after the last series. I'm a bit sad that the other novels won't be part of this, but perhaps those could be done as separate miniseries?

Will Carthoris be in this series?

Comment

Originally posted by ChastMastr View Post
      I do wonder if this means it could be set after the last series. I'm a bit sad that the other novels won't be part of this, but perhaps those could be done as separate miniseries?
      It does seem like the writer is making a pointed sales pitch to new readers to assure them that this is 'entry-level'.
      It might be an original story, but it's based on the world of ERB's novels, just as DE's prior WoM series was based on the novels, so there's not necessarily any conflict. I think this can be viewed as more of a "jump-on point" (as with Marvel's constant re-numbering) rather than a total reboot. And just as the prior WoM series was broad enough to encompass both adaptations and original stories, so might this series swing back and forth between original stories and adapted ones.
      Last edited by pulphero; 08-26-2014, 02:35 PM.

Comment

I hope so. I'd like to treat it as part of the same array of stories we've already had rather than a reboot. I also hope someday we get a resolution of the whole Tarzan/Mars thing...

Comment

I also hope someday we get a resolution of the whole Tarzan/Mars thing...
          Ditto. Arvid Nelson alluded to a brief tease of 'something' upcoming that would make ERB fans happy... while that could just be what we already know (DE obtaining ERB Inc's "authorized" sanction), I'd prefer to think he was referring not only that, but something further that he had stashed in his authorial bag of tricks.

An additional factor might be a certain waiting period necessary for DE to obtain the official trademark for Tarzan, allowing for the current agreement between Dark Horse and ERB Inc. for US rights to the trademark to expire.
          Last edited by pulphero; 08-26-2014, 05:25 PM.

Comment

G'day,

The way I read that press release from a few months ago ERB were OK with DE using "Lord of the Jungle" but not Tarzan, at least at this stage. I would think that a second series of "Lords of Mars" would be OK too.

I suppose we just have to wait and see.

Ralph

Originally posted by pulphero View Post
            Ditto. Arvid Nelson alluded to a brief tease of 'something' upcoming that would make ERB fans happy... while that could just be what we already know (DE obtaining ERB Inc's "authorized" sanction), I'd prefer to think he was referring not only that, but something further that he had stashed in his authorial bag of tricks.

An additional factor might be a certain waiting period necessary for DE to obtain the official trademark for Tarzan, allowing for the current agreement between Dark Horse and ERB Inc. for US rights to the trademark to expire.

Comment

Originally posted by ralphuniverse View Post
              G'day,

The way I read that press release from a few months ago ERB were OK with DE using "Lord of the Jungle" but not Tarzan, at least at this stage. I would think that a second series of "Lords of Mars" would be OK too.

I suppose we just have to wait and see.

Ralph
              Dark Horse has a "JUNGLE TALES OF TARZAN" graphic novel coming out in June/July 2015 and a "AT THE EARTH'S CORE" GN in 2015, under their Sequential Pulp imprint(whom a lot of the creators for SP work on ERB's online strips). With a Tarzan movie coming in 2016, I think DH is going to try their best to hold on to the Tarzan rights, even though they haven't done anything major with the property after the 90's.

Comment

Originally posted by rasx View Post
                Dark Horse has a "JUNGLE TALES OF TARZAN" graphic novel coming out in June/July 2015 and a "AT THE EARTH'S CORE" GN in 2015, under their Sequential Pulp imprint(whom a lot of the creators for SP work on ERB's online strips). With a Tarzan movie coming in 2016, I think DH is going to try their best to hold on to the Tarzan rights, even though they haven't done anything major with the property after the 90's.
                Maybe Sequential Pulp should change its name to "Stealth Pulp". I've been reading 'upcoming' news stories about their projects for the past 3 or 4 years. But I've yet to see one materialize in print, and it's not because I haven't been looking. From what I can tell, Dark Horse is just a partner here in covering the actual publishing (if any)...
                Last edited by pulphero; 08-27-2014, 04:40 PM.

Comment

Abishek Malsuni's interior artwork on this first issue of John Carter Warlord of Mars looks very nice indeed - a significant upgrade in what we're used to seeing (not that the previous WoM artists were, by and large, "bad" per se), in my opinion, based on the samples shown in PREVIEWS.

Comment

G'day,

Looks like the agreement with ERB Inc means no more nudie covers but I do like the Helium Navy pinup cover. Asked my LCBS to get that one for me.

Ralph

Abishek Malsuni's interior artwork on this first issue of John Carter Warlord of Mars looks very nice indeed - a significant upgrade in what we're used to seeing (not that the previous WoM artists were, by and large, "bad" per se), in my opinion, based on the samples shown in PREVIEWS.

Comment

Originally posted by ralphuniverse View Post
                      Looks like the agreement with ERB Inc means no more nudie covers
                      Well, never say never. This is John Carter; let's see if there might not be a Dejah Thoris, Princess of Mars companion series somewhere down the line. That retro-Marvel cover with the "Rated M - Suggested for Mature Readers" CCA stamp stand-in might be indicative that things aren't as automatically toned-down as you might assume. She's no Disney Princess.

Click image for larger version

Name:	M stamp.JPG
Views:	1
Size:	11.4 KB
ID:	48883
                      Last edited by pulphero; 08-29-2014, 09:25 AM.

Comment

And more John Carter beefcake. Me want beefcake.

Comment

Is this online anywhere? I just get my Previews info online...

Comment

And more John Carter beefcake. Me want beefcake.
                            Well, it's not realistic to expect any groinal nudity of either sex (or Tharks, for you Thark-lovers out there...), with OR without ERB Inc's involvement.
                            In MPAA terminology, that's a leap from R to NC-17. How Alan Moore got away with it in Watchmen and Miracleman... I'll have to assume it was the pointedly desexualized context. So assuming there's no real difference between beef and cheese, we're all getting plenty of both already. The only thing nude(r) in so-called "nudie covers" is nipples. If you're not getting enough of that from WoM, I recommend you spend some time viewing Joel Schumacher's Batman and Robin (Warning: The remedy may be worse than the ailment).

Comment

Is this online anywhere? I just get my Previews info online...
                              You'll have to google it without my help. (THAT didn't sound quite right...!)

Comment

Well, it's not realistic to expect any groinal nudity of either sex (or Tharks, for you Thark-lovers out there...), with OR without ERB Inc's involvement.
                                In MPAA terminology, that's a leap from R to NC-17. How Alan Moore got away with it in Watchmen and Miracleman... I'll have to assume it was the pointedly desexualized context. So assuming there's no real difference between beef and cheese, we're all getting plenty of both already. The only thing nude(r) in so-called "nudie covers" is nipples. If you're not getting enough of that from WoM, I recommend you spend some time viewing Joel Schumacher's Batman and Robin (Warning: The remedy may be worse than the ailment).
                                Yes, I'm thinking mainly of JC and friends in those Speedo-like loincloths they run around in, not full frontal.

Comment

Working...
                                X