WARLORD OF MARS RETURNING IN NOVEMBER!!

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

http://t.co/2UbYGLcCGz
    This new villain could be another Earthman or Moonman or Venusian.

Comment

Or they could be octopoidal brains-in-a-sack with a couple of clusters of manipulating tentacles, who've mainly replaced physical action with machines to do that work for them.

Comment

G'day,

Doubt it. The new villain is supposed to be John Carter's equal. I expect him to be a humanoid physical opponent.

Ralph

Originally posted by pulphero View Post
        Or they could be octopoidal brains-in-a-sack with a couple of clusters of manipulating tentacles, who've mainly replaced physical action with machines to do that work for them.

Comment

Originally posted by ralphuniverse View Post
          Doubt it. The new villain is supposed to be John Carter's equal. I expect him to be a humanoid physical opponent.
          I would say Wells' alien invaders are more than a match for Carter's superbarsoomian abilities. If this invasion of Mars is merely leading up to a fistfight between two humans of equal physical strength, I'm going to be disappointed. White Apes and Tharks are already physically bigger and stronger (also heavier, so they don't have JC's prodigous leaping ability) than the Warlord, so it's hardly as if he hasn't faced many individuals of greater strength in single combat.

About the only thing interesting along these lines that I could think of would be if Carter came up against his "equal opposite" - another powerful, skilled, and brainy fighting man and superb military tactician from Earth who had ALSO been thrown onto an alien planet, surviving countless trials and rising to become its absolute dictator, and then turned his attention to Barsoom as his next likely conquest. Maybe even a man that John Carter knew once, in a previous lifetime... or even John Carter himself, the John Carter of a parallel Mars, one where, through whatever whim of fate, he made his astral journey to Mars a few hours earlier, or later... arriving in a completely different location on Barsoom, never rescuing and falling in love with the beautiful Dejah Thoris, or befriending the noble Tars Tarkas... instead, he arrives among the savage Warhoon tribe. He eventually conquers them and becomes their leader, but decades of daily battles for survival against savage enemies slowly turns him cold, ruthless... he does eventually rise to the position of Warlord of all Barsoom... "Carter the Cruel, Merciless Master of Mars". Then one day, his right-hand advisor, the evil scientist Ras Thavas, reveals that he has invented a gateway to other dimensions, where exists yet another Barsoom, this one ripe for conquest...

Interestingly enough, the conclusion to the Dejah of Mars miniseries seems to set up the new series. It appeared that the villain who captured and tortured John Carter was about to unleash upon Barsoom a whole slew of some type of supercannons. However...

"Oh, goddess... No... they are NOT cannons. They are... BEACONS!"

Dejah: "WHAT?!"

"Beacons. All of them. Not of Barsoom."

Dejah: "Beacons for WHAT, you lunatic?"

"Ohhh... To summon something... Something so much WORSE than cannons... ...so horrifying... Let it come to us."
          Another interesting thing... the aforementioned villain has just drunk a huge bottle of blood which he drained from JC before going into a kind of psychotic vision and ranting the above information... and what alien invaders do we know who also drink blood? (Admittedly, it could also be the Vampire Men of Saturn, as previously seen in the Dejah Thoris series...)

Yes, that "someTHING ... horrifying" is leading me in the direction of Wells' aliens. And how exactly did those ancient beacons get buried on Barsoom in the first place?
          Wells' Martians might even be some sort of super-evolved species related to Burroughs' Kaldanes (from Chessmen of Mars), who abandoned Barsoom sometime in the far distant past, and are now returning...
          Last edited by pulphero; 09-04-2014, 01:01 PM.

Comment

G'day well I suppose we will find out in November. Personally I wish they would pick up the story from Burroughs Skeleton Men of Jupiter, you might remember the Jovians were about to invade Mars. Unfortunately Burroughs died before he could finish that story line. But it seems "Dejah of Mars" was a bridge between "Warlord of Mars" and "John Carter: Warlord of Mars" which means the new series is in the continuity

ta

Ralph

Originally posted by pulphero View Post
            I would say Wells' alien invaders are more than a match for Carter's superbarsoomian abilities. If this invasion of Mars is merely leading up to a fistfight between two humans of equal physical strength, I'm going to be disappointed. White Apes and Tharks are already physically bigger and stronger (also heavier, so they don't have JC's prodigous leaping ability) than the Warlord, so it's hardly as if he hasn't faced many individuals of greater strength in single combat.

About the only thing interesting along these lines that I could think of would be if Carter came up against his "equal opposite" - another powerful, skilled, and brainy fighting man and superb military tactician from Earth who had ALSO been thrown onto an alien planet, surviving countless trials and rising to become its absolute dictator, and then turned his attention to Barsoom as his next likely conquest. Maybe even a man that John Carter knew once, in a previous lifetime... or even John Carter himself, the John Carter of a parallel Mars, one where, through whatever whim of fate, he made his astral journey to Mars a few hours earlier, or later... arriving in a completely different location on Barsoom, never rescuing and falling in love with the beautiful Dejah Thoris, or befriending the noble Tars Tarkas... instead, he arrives among the savage Warhoon tribe. He eventually conquers them and becomes their leader, but decades of daily battles for survival against savage enemies slowly turns him cold, ruthless... he does eventually rise to the position of Warlord of all Barsoom... "Carter the Cruel, Merciless Master of Mars". Then one day, his right-hand advisor, the evil scientist Ras Thavas, reveals that he has invented a gateway to other dimensions, where exists yet another Barsoom, this one ripe for conquest...

Interestingly enough, the conclusion to the Dejah of Mars miniseries seems to set up the new series. It appeared that the villain who captured and tortured John Carter was about to unleash upon Barsoom a whole slew of some type of supercannons. However...

Another interesting thing... the aforementioned villain has just drunk a huge bottle of blood which he drained from JC before going into a kind of psychotic vision and ranting the above information... and what alien invaders do we know who also drink blood? (Admittedly, it could also be the Vampire Men of Saturn, as previously seen in the Dejah Thoris series...)

Yes, that "someTHING ... horrifying" is leading me in the direction of Wells' aliens. And how exactly did those ancient beacons get buried on Barsoom in the first place?
            Wells' Martians might even be some sort of super-evolved species related to Burroughs' Kaldanes (from Chessmen of Mars), who abandoned Barsoom sometime in the far distant past, and are now returning...

Comment

Personally I wish they would pick up the story from Burroughs Skeleton Men of Jupiter, you might remember the Jovians were about to invade Mars. Unfortunately Burroughs died before he could finish that story line.
              I agree and would like to see this as well. Someday. Perhaps as its own limited series. It feels too soon for that right now, as they'd have to skip over a large period of the ERB novels (assuming that these stories will be proceeding in more or less chronological fashion within this series) that the previous WoM didn't cover. I'm assuming the comic series is now set somewhere in the time period prior to Thuvia, Maid of Mars so far, and will get to the adaptations, interspersed between original stories like the first arc by Ron Marz, in their own time, with the ones not featuring Carter and Dejah as the main characters done as spinoff limited series.

Another possibility of doing the non-Carter Barsoom novel adaptations would be to incorporate them into the main John Carter series, written after the fashion of many television programs today, with an "A Plot" showing an original story of events unfolding involving John Carter and Dejah Thoris, while the "B Plot" would concern itself with say, the events happening to Carthoris concurrently (an adaptation of Thuvia Maid of Mars), with the invention of some tenuous connecting elements. In practice, this can be made to work pretty seamlessly. When you examine ERB's body of work, many of his novels are already written this way, with events flashing back and forth between chapters to what's happening to one character (or group of characters) and another in different places, and the beginning and ending tying the whole thing up.
              Last edited by pulphero; 09-06-2014, 06:56 AM.

Comment

At this point I'm not sure I need to worry about spoilers for Dejah of Mars, so tell me--there isn't a proper ending for the thing? :/

Comment

There's an ending to the events driving the plot of Dejah of Mars. But it's one of those stories that you could label in the final panel as "The End ...or The Beginning?"

Comment

Ah, OK, good. I was worried it would just leave everything hanging.

I know this isn't quite a reboot though it sounds almost rebooty...

Comment

Originally posted by ChastMastr View Post
                      Ah, OK, good. I was worried it would just leave everything hanging.

I know this isn't quite a reboot though it sounds almost rebooty...
                      I'm going to guess that the "beacons" may not even be referred to as such in "Invasion of Mars". I think it's just a nod to the people carrying over from the non-ERB Inc.-Authorized version of WoM. I would bet based on Ron Marz' comments that the story is clean of any direct references to Dejah of Mars, footnoted or not.

Comment

Click image for larger version

Name:	johncarter2c.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	114.9 KB
ID:	48888
                        Who is that guy holding Deja, he isn't dress like a Barsoomian, could he be the new villain?

Comment

It's a little hard to make out, but he seems to be wearing a hat with the crossed sabres of the Army of the Confederacy. And what are those, medals on his uniform...? Although it doesn't really look that convincingly like a Confederacy Army uniform.

If the mystery villain behind the invasion of Mars just turns out to be some power-mad ex-Confederate officer, an old grudge from Carter's days as a Captain in the Confederate Army, I must admit to some mild disappointment at the reveal. Or could he be some thinly-veiled homage to Jonah Hex? I'll wait and read the story, of course. Maybe the mystery villain turns out to be another ageless being like Carter himself, and thus would serve as a way to delve into the mysterious origins of John Carter's agelessness. That could be interesting.

Click image for larger version

Name:	Mystery Villain.JPG
Views:	1
Size:	18.9 KB
ID:	48889
                          Last edited by pulphero; 09-19-2014, 01:34 AM.

Comment

http://t.co/PFL5wgvTMw
                            The villain looks definitely human.

Comment

There's a first look here. http://www.bleedingcool.com/2014/09/...rlord-of-mars/

Dejah looks absolutely magnificent

Ralph.

Comment

Dejah looks absolutely magnificent
                                I think the word you're looking for here is (Burroughs' description) "incomparable". She does indeed look more beautiful than I've ever seen her looking before (at least interior art-wise) in a DE comic.
                                These are some of the same pages I'd seen (at smaller size) in last month's Diamond PREVIEWS catalog... Abhishek Malsuni, whose work I'd never seen before, is impressing me already.

Comment

Working...
                                X