No announcement yet.

WARLORD OF MARS RETURNING IN NOVEMBER!!

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Yeah, they've been doing those low-priced omnibus editions of the classics for a few decades now, but it seems like the market has recently exploded for this type of material due to its popularity on digital readers like Nook and Kindle (people always looking for cheap or free stuff, and a good excuse to read those things they've been meaning to for years). I remember seeing a lot of those same basic HC collections (seen in "Customers Who Bought This Also Bought" section below) over the past 30 years at B&N (although last time I saw it, the ERB Mars omnibus was just the first 3 books). But that's where B&N really shines, they've had these exclusive hardcover collections you can't get anywhere else. In the brick and mortar stores they usually have a section located directly opposite the registers with these and whatever current closeouts and remaindered discounted hardcovers and trade paperbacks they currently have stock of, and it's the section a lot of people head to immediately to check out and see what's recently available at less than cover price. It obviously occurred to B&N that they could get their own public domain classics collections printed, price them accordingly, and move a lot of them through that section, which they do.

I was kind of shocked after poking around on the site to see B&N had no similar TARZAN omnibus hardcover.

Comment

Originally posted by pulphero View Post
      I was kind of shocked after poking around on the site to see B&N had no similar TARZAN omnibus hardcover.
      I wonder if it's rights-related? Maybe the reason the John Carter omnibus went from 3 to 5 is the latest two are now in public domain?

Comment

G'day,

OK what do people think of John Carter Warlord of Mars #1 ? I thought the art was terrific the story showed promise, it needed to set up the series for new readers, which it did, so was a bit slow but am looking forward to issue 2.

ta

Ralph

Comment

Abishek Malsuni is a real find. I just hope Dynamite can hold on to him for a while, at least. It does seem inevitable that sooner or later he's going to be scooped up by DC or Marvel.

Storywise, there's not much here to comment on.

Comment

it was a decent first issue. just setting things up and giving back story for those who may be unfamiliar with Barsoom and such.

Comment

Is this set basically after John and Dejah have had Carthoris, or before?

Comment

G'day.

Good question. Unknown at this stage.

Ralph

Originally posted by ChastMastr View Post
                Is this set basically after John and Dejah have had Carthoris, or before?

Comment

Definitely liked the first issue!

For those who have not read it yet, possible spoilers below:

I like the idea of John Carter's confederate past being explored. The addition of a union commander who is using his skills to conquer the universe sounds interesting!!!

I posted a variation of that idea on this site years ago--suggesting that an escaped slave from Virginia (maybe even was whipped by John Carter) finds himself on Barsoom. Obviously, over the course of the adventure, a peace would occur between the two characters. I am anxious to see where this storyline will go!

Love the artwork!!!

Comment

Originally posted by Blinky McQuade View Post
                    I posted a variation of that idea on this site years ago--suggesting that an escaped slave from Virginia (maybe even was whipped by John Carter) finds himself on Barsoom. Obviously, over the course of the adventure, a peace would occur between the two characters.
                    I cannot see John Carter (despite fighting for the Confederacy) being a slave owner. Nobody knows exactly how old John Carter is, and for all we know he may have been a slave himself at one time or another.

Comment

I know some of you don't like Bleeding cool, so here is the Feb solicits:
                      JOHN CARTER: WARLORD OF MARS #4
                      Covers: Ed Benes, Bart Sears, Emanuela Lupacchino Writer: Ron Marz Art: Abhishek Malsuni

With John Carter lost and presumed dead in the Martian desert, his enemy’s triumph is all but assured. But who is Captain Joshua Clark of Earth, and why does his hatred for John Carter know no bounds? As Dejah Thoris prays for her warlord’s safe return, the shocking origin of John Carter’s arch-enemy is finally revealed! Superstar writer Ron Marz and rising-star artist Abhishek Malsuni continue their acclaimed, official run!
                      Click image for larger version

Name:	JCWoM04-Cov-A-Benes.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	93.2 KB
ID:	48916

Comment

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m1aNZng10dE

I think the first issue shows a lot of potential. The artwork is gorgeous, I was blown away by it. I hope to see more action scenes though now that the landscape has been established.

Comment

This first issue was sort of like treading water while waiting for the main event to begin. I was also blown away by the artwork. Dejah has never looked sexier in the interior artwork. I understand the need to make this accessible to first-time readers who've never read any of the novels or DE's previous WoM comics, so in that sense issue #2 will be more like the actual first issue for people like me. I stand pretty unimpressed so far by both the villain, and his ravaging hordes of a (as you say, pretty stock) warlike alien race. I actually have little hope of the aliens being developed beyond one-dimensional savages who'll essentially act as an extention of the main villain's will. It would have helped a little if they'd at least been more original looking in design, less humanoid, to distinguish them somehow. As it was, they could have shown up in any '90s issue of Marz' SILVER SURFER or GREEN LANTERN. They're introduced, along with the main villain, with the sketchiest of background, but that's about it. Hopefully, once we get some background of the main villain's backstory he'll develop into some kind of credible threat.

Comment

Originally posted by PulpCrazy View Post

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m1aNZng10dE

I think the first issue shows a lot of potential. The artwork is gorgeous, I was blown away by it. I hope to see more action scenes though now that the landscape has been established.
                            Good review, do you also post reviews on ERB Online comics?

Comment

Originally posted by rasx View Post
                              Good review, do you also post reviews on ERB Online comics?
                              Thanks rasx. As a matter of fact... I'm working on getting caught up on a few series. Once I am, I'll be doing a whole episode devoted to the ERB strips.

Comment

Ron Marz was nice enough to answer some of my questions about the new JC: Warlord of Mars comic, as well as the previously published Shadow Over Innsmouth One-Shot.

http://pulpcrazy.com/?p=719

Comment

Working...
                                X