No announcement yet.

WARLORD OF MARS RETURNING IN NOVEMBER!!

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Interview with Ron Marz but still no idea when this takes place, whether Carthoris has been born yet or not. This is frustrating me.

http://www.comicbookresources.com/?p...ticle&id=57629

Comment

And yes, I know, he's being kind of vague about it--in your interview linked above, he says, "I’m not getting overly precious with the continuity in terms of exactly when these stories take place, other than the “classic” period with John and Dejah front and center"--but that tells me nothing. Was there a non-classic period, without them front and center? Help...

Comment

Oh wait, I hadn't read far enough: "Starting with the fourth book in the series, John Carter takes a backseat to new Barsoomian heroes..." Oh! Okay, that's a bit clearer, I think.

I'm going to just assume this all takes place after the last of the previous Dynamite series, I suppose, with anything following up on unfinished business as "as yet untold tales" that I hope we eventually get.

Comment

Originally posted by ChastMastr View Post
          And yes, I know, he's being kind of vague about it--in your interview linked above, he says, "I’m not getting overly precious with the continuity in terms of exactly when these stories take place, other than the “classic” period with John and Dejah front and center"--but that tells me nothing. Was there a non-classic period, without them front and center? Help...
          "Non-classic" is a pretty subjective descriptor here, but Marz refers to the novels after the original trilogy (Princess/Gods/Warlord). Beginning with the fourth novel, (Thuvia Maid of Mars), Carthoris took center stage as the main hero, followed by others like Tara of Helium and Gahan of Gathol (in Chessmen of Mars), Vad Varo - originally Ulysses Paxton of Earth (in The Master Mind of Mars), and Tan Hadron of Hastor (in A Fighting Man of Mars). Carter and Dejah weren't front and center again until Swords of Mars, which was followed by yet another novel (Synthetic Men of Mars) in which Vor Daj (a padwar of Helium) is the main hero, and the next (actually a collection of four novelettes) centered around Llana of Gathol, Carter and Dejah's granddaughter. Finally Carter returns again as the main hero in the novelette Skeleton Men of Jupiter, which forms one half of the final Barsoom book, John Carter of Mars.

Comment

Originally posted by ChastMastr View Post
            I'm going to just assume this all takes place after the last of the previous Dynamite series, I suppose, with anything following up on unfinished business as "as yet untold tales" that I hope we eventually get.
            That final Dejah Thoris miniseries seemed to contain hints of a forthcoming alien invasion of Barsoom, but after reading the new John Carter series, I'm no longer convinced that the invasion hinted at is THIS one, now.

Comment

I'm personally treating everything as a clean slate now in terms of past comics. Since Dynamite and ERB Inc. have joined forces, its a whole new ballgame.

In my mind, when it comes to the new Dynamite stuff published with the blessing of ERB Inc...it's going to be the original Burroughs stories, and the new Dynamite stuff as canon.

But who knows, Dynamite doesn't seem to be overly concerned about continuity in their other pulp titles. I like that, no use of letting continuity get in the way of telling good stories. Plus it makes each series and mini series more accessible.

Comment

G'day,

Just finished number 2. Very good I thought, it picking up from the first issue and looks like being an exciting story. Well drawn too.

Ralph

Comment

Working...
                X