Zorro background

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Zorro background

Hi does anyone who worked Zorro comics and background realize that it's set in post Napoleonic war in 1820, but the main character would have bin educated in Spain during the Ucer period. In the original stories there is not mention Bonaparte Spain or the war

LW

Originally posted by lwhitehead View Post
    Hi does anyone who worked Zorro comics and background realize that it's set in post Napoleonic war in 1820, but the main character would have bin educated in Spain during the Ucer period. In the original stories there is not mention Bonaparte Spain or the war

LW
    If it's not mentioned in the original stories, then maybe it's not too important. And if it's not mentioned in the original stories, where's your source?

Comment

Well I for one like get those details right, your comic states that begins in 1820 alt cal.

Your comic does mention the Out of touch Spainish king of that timeframe, in 1820 would there be any Bonapartists left in the world.

LW

Comment

Well I for one like get those details right, your comic states that begins in 1820 alt cal.

Your comic does mention the Out of touch Spainish king of that timeframe, in 1820 would there be any Bonapartists left in the world.

LW
        Not quite clear on this, LW. If the comic states 1820, then it would seem you answer your own question about whether they're aware of when it's taking place. I can't recall exactly how much space they devoted to depicting Zorro's education, but unless this formed the basis of an entire story set in Spain during Diego's school days, it wouldn't seem to have much impact on his later adventures in California as Zorro. It would seem that the major point is that he IS an educated man, in addition to his heroic role in California. We can probably just assume a good general education customary to his status. The only time where details of that education might have some bearing is if the story required him to display some uncommon knowledge about a specific subject that had some bearing on a specific plot point, something like say geology or chemistry, demonstrating that Zorro was aware of or recognized some fact or detail that other characters in the story didn't.
        Last edited by pulphero; 08-16-2014, 08:00 AM.

Comment

I'm not trying to be a pain but as a hopeful Writer I like to get the history of my setting and characters right, good fiction shows these things.

LW

Comment

OK, I'll take one last guess at what's bugging you. Even though the events of the Napoleonic War are in fairly close chronological proximity to when Zorro's adventures are taking place, the fact that they are so widely separated geographically, if only by a fairly short amount of time, makes all the difference. It's a different part of the world, with different political concerns of the moment. Life has moved on, as it does. No doubt you have perceived that the very premise of Zorro's story is VERY focused on the political concerns of the time in Old California - and if it were not for those concerns, Zorro would not exist! Recent events in Europe don't have a huge impact on what is going on for Zorro years later in California (literally half a world away), so there's not going to be any reference to those things. If the events of Zorro's story were taking place in Europe, the likelihood of effects of the Napoleonic War would be much more likely to crop up. But since the stories are not spending a lot of time constantly flashing back in time to the years of Zorro's education in Spain, you're not seeing that.
            Last edited by pulphero; 08-17-2014, 03:49 AM.

Comment

Yeah if I was writing a character for your Zorro comic, I would make sure that it matched current timeframe and that character had tie to the Napoleonic War,

LW

Comment

Yeah if I was writing a character for your Zorro comic, I would make sure that it matched current timeframe and that character had tie to the Napoleonic War,
                LW
                -The original McCulley pulp began with Zorro already fully formed, no origin in Spain or much of it's history other than to say it's where he came from. It focuses on California. And in a later flash back describes how he reinvents himself as both the languid Diego and the masked Zorro.
                In later McCulley stories, as far as I know not allot of reference back to Spain, but I haven't read them all.
                -The 1920s Douglas Fairbanks Mark of Zorro followed the original McCulley story almost to the letter, again he is fully formed when the story begins. Not an origin story, so again not allot of focus on Spain, or any time spent there.
                -The 1940 Tyrone Power remake of Mark of Zorro, introduced the brief Origin, beginning with him having been sent to Spain to be educated where he becomes the expert swordsman, and immediately follows him back home to California, where he will adopt the Zorro ID.
                Neither of those self contained movies had much time to deal with or develop details of recent history of Spain and the time.

-1950s Disney Zorro, takes the brief Origin from the 1940 Tyrone power, and begins with Diego arriving home from being "educated" in Spain, and immediately developing the Zorro persona, again that is the extent of the origin. Throughout the ongoing series references are made to Spain, characters coming from Spain, and the ongoing politics, and wars, a Spain struggling to survive, blockades going on , and how they directly affect California.
                Not sure if they mention Napoleonic wars directly, but it's been a while since I've watched, and there are many episodes.

-2005 An extensive and first Origin for Zorro was commissioned by Zorro Inc. to Chilean/American Novelist Isabel Allende. She for the first time, tells not only the arrival of the De La Vega family in California, Diego's childhood there, and his eventual departure to Spain to be "educated". This origin not only references The Napoleonic Wars, and the Ulcer period, but makes great use of them throughout. Their effects on the time period, occupied Spain particularly as the Spanish are rebelling against Napoleonic control, and particularly Diego's arrival there, it's effects on his education, his encounter with a certain group. And it forms a big part of his development.
                Read it!
                The Novel finally builds to his return to California, and where the Disney (and other) series pick up.

-2008 - Dynamite comics somewhat retells the origin of the Novel, it definitely retells the time and struggles in Spain as per Allende during that period, it's been I while since I read the comic though , so I'm not sure if they reference it directly.

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedi...adrid_rdit.jpg
                Last edited by Guicho; 10-15-2015, 08:33 PM.

Comment

Working...
                X