Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Midnight in Moscow: Just What is Chaykin's Problem with Britain?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by pulphero View Post
    Somehow I remain entirely unconvinced that any English person ever used the expression, "Wot?", (apart from Captain Sensible).
    Wow! There's a reference you don't come across every day!!

Comment

Originally posted by Captain Canuck View Post
      Wow! There's a reference you don't come across every day!!
      Funny, I always thought that Bananarama sang the backing vocals on that song. Turns out it was a trio called Dolly Mixture.

Comment

Originally posted by pulphero View Post

He also makes an unsubstantiated claim that many Western secrets were leaked through MI6, and I have no idea where that came from (he doesn't bother explaining), but he is using that as the basis for his plot, that an atomic bomb is stolen from England by Benedict Stark (aka The Prince of Evil) and/or his confederates. I now suspect that he's going to show that the Saint John character working for MI6 (together with his American accomplice, Dixie Teagarden) is a traitor; they are also blackmailing a British physicist who seems to be a kind of precursor to Henry Pym. Having this as part of the plot, I guess I'd have to agree that Chaykin seems to believe this, although the way he flatly states it in captions, as if this were something that were commonly acknowledged, is pretty unconvincing. No idea where's he gotten that from. America certainly had its share of military secrets stolen.
        Late for this particular party, so apologies -- but I believe the leaking of secrets the story mentions is a reference to the Cambridge Five scandal. At least that's what I thought of when I saw that caption. A quick wiki search will give you the story (which I'd read about previously).

Overall I've no real problem with Chaykin's take on the character in this story (although it's a bit slow moving and not especially gripping).

To slightly derail things, all of this has made me realize I'd love to see someone like Brubaker or Rucka take on the character.

Comment

Originally posted by jsf View Post
          To slightly derail things, all of this has made me realize I'd love to see someone like Brubaker or Rucka take on the character.
          Brubaker and Sean Phillips, for sure. But unlikely as they're devoting all their energies to creator-owned projects for Image.

Comment

I've been avoiding Chaykin for a while . . . even when he re-did Blackhawk for DC, it seemed like too many of his lead characters were coming off as clueless-clones of Reuben Flagg.

Click image for larger version

Name:	21094-3285-23524-1-american-flagg.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	45.1 KB
ID:	48911

Comment

That IS a while. I guess you know where you stand. Nothing has changed.

Comment

Working...
              X