Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The Sword Women of Robert E. Howard & C.L. Moore: The Lineage of Red Sonja

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9-sMyI6FYDQ

I haven't read every Red Sonja comic that Dynamite has put out, but I do enjoy the ones I pick up. I'm a huge fan of the sword women from the pulp magazines. A lot of their traits are present in the character of Red Sonja.

From what I have seen Red Sonja is valiantly carrying on the tradition of the red-haired sword women of the pulps. I really enjoyed making the attached video.

However, Dynamite, I have a question I would like to throw out to you, as I did at the end of my video.

Red Sonja's lineage comes from prose fiction, how about bringing the character full circle and doing a Red Sonja prose anthology?

I think that would be pretty cool.
    Last edited by PulpCrazy; 11-30-2014, 12:05 AM.

Why do you think they always have red hair? Why not blonde or brunette? Or is it just one creator copying what came before by another creator?

Comment

Originally posted by pulphero View Post
      Why do you think they always have red hair? Why not blonde or brunette? Or is it just one creator copying what came before by another creator?
      Robert E. Howard's Red Sonya appeared in print first, then Jirel of Joiry by C.L. Moore.

Red Sonya - January 1934

Jirel of Joiry - October 1934

Robert E. Howard sent the Sword Woman manuscript starring Dark Agnes to C.L. Moore. She sent him back an appreciative letter about it that was dated January 1935.

It's kind of a like a chicken and the egg situation with REH and CLM.

It should also be pointed out that Red Sonya and Dark Agnes (with Mistress of Death being the exception) appeared in straight up historical fiction. Jirel of Joiry and Red Sonja are sword and sorcery characters.

Both REH and CLM were members of the Lovecraft Circle, and it seems like everyone in the circle was reading the pulps at the time. Since the characters came out so close together, they could also have been tapping into the same zeitgeist.

Or maybe they both decided that having a red haired sword woman would be more exotic than blonde or brunette?

Comment

Here is a nice article of the Red Sonja prose novels at BlackGate: http://www.blackgate.com/2013/04/09/...ja-the-novels/

Apparently the last one is a prequel to H.P. Lovecraft's "The Colour Out of Space".

Comment

G'day,

Never knew about these books. Hope somebody republishes them as eBooks.

Ralph

Originally posted by PulpCrazy View Post
          Here is a nice article of the Red Sonja prose novels at BlackGate: http://www.blackgate.com/2013/04/09/...ja-the-novels/

Apparently the last one is a prequel to H.P. Lovecraft's "The Colour Out of Space".

Comment

Working...
          X