Doc Savage Reprint

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Doc Savage Reprint

Dynamite is releasing a reprint of the B&W Curtis/Marvel Magazine. Looks interesting but I have the recent DC reprint of the same issues. I'd like to see Dynamite reprint the issues from Millennium. Decent art and pretty good stories as I remember.
    Always remember, Murphy was an optimist
    Munchkin 1, 2, 4, 7 Super Munchkin 1&2, Munchkin Bites 1&2, Munchkin Fu, Star Munchkin Deluxe and Star 2
    http://ghornet.deviantart.com/

Originally posted by Ghornet2 View Post
    Dynamite is releasing a reprint of the B&W Curtis/Marvel Magazine. Looks interesting but I have the recent DC reprint of the same issues. I'd like to see Dynamite reprint the issues from Millennium. Decent art and pretty good stories as I remember.
    I have the DC "Showcase" version as well, but it's not ideal. I thought it was worth the money to get those stories in the same magazine size format as Vampirella Archives. Now, for the Millenium ones the Showcase/Essential format would work just fine.

Comment

OMG that's awesome! Are the Dynamite solicits out yet?

Comment

Originally posted by ChastMastr View Post
        OMG that's awesome! Are the Dynamite solicits out yet?
        Er, I think you misunderstood. Doc Savage Archives is shipping next week. You apparently missed it in the solicitations a few months ago.

Comment

Ah! No, I just forgot about it. I checked and I'd already added it to my list of books to get.

Comment

I'm doing up a list of the Doc Savage pulps with notations on the Bantam and Sanctum Press reprints as well as the Novels and Comic Book appearances. It's for my own benefit but I'm willing to share.
            Munchkin 1, 2, 4, 7 Super Munchkin 1&2, Munchkin Bites 1&2, Munchkin Fu, Star Munchkin Deluxe and Star 2

Comment

Please do!

Comment

It's way to big to attach. send me a PM with an email address and I'd be happy to send it along. The notes and cast list is rather skimpy at this point but I'm sure everybody is willing to expand on my start.

Comment

Just finished reading Brand of the Werewolf. Marvel really changed the ending when they did it way back when. I know they had to make some changes to do the story in two issues but they added a guy in a werewolf costime and some other stuff.

Comment

Doc trivia

Lester Dent co-wrote 18 of the pulps.
                    13 with Harold A. Davis
                    3 with W. Ryerson Johnson
                    2 with William G. Bogart
                    Alan Hathaway wrote 3
                    Lawrence Donovan wrote 9
                    William G. Bogart wrote 11
                    That means Dent wrote a total 141 of the Doc Savage pulps on his own.

There is one known rejected novel (Red Spider) that was completed. It was published by Bantam as #95 in their reprint series.
                    During the Pulps we were never told how Doc met his five aids. Philip Josť Farmer told the story in “Escape From Loki”, the first new Doc Savage Novel from Bantam in 1991. He has also written Doc's biography, “Doc Savage: His Apocalyptic Life” in 1973.
                    Will Murray wrote 16 Doc Savage Novels
                    1 of his own
                    14 from Lester Dent's plots
                    1 from a W. Ryerson Johnson plot

Six different companies have published comics featuring Doc Savage. He has also shown up in comics from a half a dozen other companies.
                    He had a “Fortress of Solitude” long before Superman and a “Utility Vest” long before Batman's belt.
                    There was one movie released (starring Ron Ely), with one more partially filmed but not completed.
                    Doc's most familiar look (torn shirt & slicked back hair) comes not from the pulps, but the Frank Bama covers for the Bantam paperback reprints.

Comment

Originally posted by Ghornet2 View Post
                      Doc's most familiar look (torn shirt & slicked back hair) comes not from the pulps, but the Frank Bama covers for the Bantam paperback reprints.
                      Eh? Bama took the torn shirt from Walter Baumhofer's pulp covers. The skullcap was the idea of the Bantam editor, not (James, not Frank) Bama, to make the character look more 'science-fictional'. The bronze skullcap also came directly from Lester Dent's novels, but of course in the novels he didn't wear it all the time, any more than he wore the exact same clothes or his shirt was always torn. The never-varying visual appearance of Doc from cover to cover on the Bantam reprints was one of three design elements (along with the consistent logotype and monochromatic color scheme) used to unify the series and make it immediately stand out visually on the paperback racks. And it all worked brilliantly, too. Bama actually owned the torn shirt that he had Doc Savage cover model Steve Holland wear for each new cover.

Click image for larger version

Name:	doc_savage_193303_v1_n1.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	86.3 KB
ID:	48978Click image for larger version

Name:	doc_savage_193404.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	66.2 KB
ID:	48979
                      Last edited by pulphero; 04-13-2015, 02:18 AM.

Comment

Working...
                      X