Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

ONGOING SPIRIT SERIES BY MATT WAGNER IN JULY!!

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• ONGOING SPIRIT SERIES BY MATT WAGNER IN JULY!!

This is awesome!!!

http://www.comicbookresources.com/?p...ticle&id=59405

Definitely on my pull list I'd like to see Wagner give it a shot.

EDIT

I meant as the artist & writer.
    Last edited by Ghornet2; 02-24-2015, 09:14 PM.
    Always remember, Murphy was an optimist
    Munchkin 1, 2, 4, 7 Super Munchkin 1&2, Munchkin Bites 1&2, Munchkin Fu, Star Munchkin Deluxe and Star 2
    http://ghornet.deviantart.com/

Comment

As I mentioned in the other thread, now we have to see who Dynamite gets to do the artwork.

And unfortunately, they don't have as good a track record when it comes to decent art for a story.

Comment

Originally posted by MajorHoy View Post
        As I mentioned in the other thread, now we have to see who Dynamite gets to do the artwork.

And unfortunately, they don't have as good a track record when it comes to decent art for a story.
        That is a good point, but with Wagner as the writer I will still buy at least the first issue.

I am very excited about this project!

Comment

New interview!

http://www.comicbookresources.com/ar...-from-the-dead

Comment

Another new interview!

http://www.newsarama.com/24265-wagne...he-spirit.html

Comment

Did anyone read this? I wanna check it out but haven't been to my LCS yet.

Comment

Originally posted by JDH View Post
                Did anyone read this? I wanna check it out but haven't been to my LCS yet.
                Picked up my copy this afternoon. Not bad. Mostly set up but a good bit of action and a few dangling plots to keep people interested.
                Munchkin 1, 2, 4, 7 Super Munchkin 1&2, Munchkin Bites 1&2, Munchkin Fu, Star Munchkin Deluxe and Star 2

Comment

Originally posted by Ghornet2 View Post
                  Picked up my copy this afternoon. Not bad. Mostly set up but a good bit of action and a few dangling plots to keep people interested.
                  It was one of those things that had changes / updates that made sense for the current world (you couldn't keep Ebony exactly as he was originally portrayed back in the day in newly written and illustrated stories) and some that seemed . . . unnecessary. (Like Ellen Dolan on the City Council? Why?)

Comment

It was one of those things that had changes / updates that made sense for the current world (you couldn't keep Ebony exactly as he was originally portrayed back in the day in newly written and illustrated stories) and some that seemed . . . unnecessary. (Like Ellen Dolan on the City Council? Why?)
                    Yet why not? She's accepted The Spirit as dead and is moving on with her life, while leaving some of the more frustrating aspects of that relationship behind her. (Or so she thinks... but obviously not.) I find that no harder to accept as believable than Ebony and Sammy starting their own detective agency.

I personally loved the first issue (haven't read the 2nd one yet). I would rank this series very highly among DE's various character revivals, and am even tempted to say (somewhat prematurely at this point) that I like it better than either of DC's two runs on the character, both of which I enjoyed quite a bit.

Comment

Originally posted by pulphero View Post
                      Yet why not? She's accepted The Spirit as dead and is moving on with her life, while leaving some of the more frustrating aspects of that relationship behind her. (Or so she thinks... but obviously not.) I find that no harder to accept as believable than Ebony and Sammy starting their own detective agency.
                      But, as far as I'm aware, women were not as common as they currently are in local politics in the 1940s. That's what didn't feel quite so right to me.

Plus, you would think additional problems could arise in the conflict-of-interest area because her father is the Police Commissioner, again raising a flag over how likely it would have been to have her elected (or possibly appointed) to the city council back then.

Comment

But, as far as I'm aware, women were not as common as they currently are in local politics in the 1940s. That's what didn't feel quite so right to me.

Plus, you would think additional problems could arise in the conflict-of-interest area because her father is the Police Commissioner, again raising a flag over how likely it would have been to have her elected (or possibly appointed) to the city council back then.
                        I agree that it would be unlikely for her to be in politics back then but if she was, the political patronage/old boy network would probably seen it as a way to control her father or gain his favor.

Comment

And you find this less believable than a young "colored" man running a private detective agency in the 1940s?

Or wouldn't this be the early 1950s by now? A somewhat older looking Ebony White seems to place the events of this series after those of the original published weekly comic book section, which ended in 1952.

Comment

And you find this less believable than a young "colored" man running a private detective agency in the 1940s?
                            It was necessary to change Ebony. The young colored kid (to phrase it in a way that might have been used back then) wouldn't be socially acceptable in a modern comic book and might even be considered offensive by some. So they made him a bit older and made him I believe a co-owner / partner with Sammy. (And there were minority own / run businesses back then, especially depending on where people lived and what clients they catered to.) It would be nice if they didn't have to change him, but I realize it was necessary. Ellen, on the other hand, could have had some changes to make her more essential to the story, but I question if a member of the City Council really was the best way to go there.

Or wouldn't this be the early 1950s by now? A somewhat older looking Ebony White seems to place the events of this series after those of the original published weekly comic book section, which ended in 1952.
                            Or, it might have been that they felt it was necessary / desirable to age him slightly as part of the revamp. It's not like there are necessarily any kids who would be reading a Spirit comic book these days. As to when this is set, I can't remember if they've said 1940s, 1950s, or just been vague on that point.

Comment

It was necessary to change Ebony. The young colored kid (to phrase it in a way that might have been used back then) wouldn't be socially acceptable in a modern comic book and might even be considered offensive by some. So they made him a bit older and made him I believe a co-owner / partner with Sammy. (And there were minority own / run businesses back then, especially depending on where people lived and what clients they catered to.) It would be nice if they didn't have to change him, but I realize it was necessary. Ellen, on the other hand, could have had some changes to make her more essential to the story, but I question if a member of the City Council really was the best way to go there.
                              Without the Spirit around, Ellen really has no function (as she existed in the original stories), so yes, changes to her character to update her role to fit modern sensibilities were needed. Wagner's trying to show that she isn't defined by her relationship to either her father or to the Spirit. He's also contrasting the Spirit as an outsider, a rogue element that doesn't fit into normal ordered society, with Ellen's new world of social responsibility and a "normal" romantic relationship. To some extent the changes to both her and Ebony's characters are concessions to a modern audience's sensibilities rather than strictly the most realistic choice, but I have no problem understanding and accepting that decision on Wagner's part. It also gives some more definition to what was largely, in the 1940s, a vaguely defined character. Who WAS Ellen Dolan, besides being the commissioner's daughter and the Spirit's "good girl" love interest? We never really knew, did we? Matt Wagner is saying, "Oh look, I guess she did have a brain in her head after all." OH! So that's why she's worthy of competing for the Spirit's attention with women of more obvious talents like P'Gell, Sand Saref, etc.
                              Last edited by pulphero; 08-10-2015, 05:09 PM.

Comment

Working...
                              X