Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Doc Savage vs. The Sinister Shadow (Coming Soon)

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Doc Savage vs. The Sinister Shadow (Coming Soon)

He sure doesn't look like he's wearing his bulletproof vest... Ouch! That's gotta sting.
    Click image for larger version

Name:	altuspress-docsavage-sinistershadow.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	80.6 KB
ID:	49638

I enjoyed 'Escape from Loki' by Philip Jose Farmer and a couple of the Will Murray books so I'll probably give this a try.
    Always remember, Murphy was an optimist
    Munchkin 1, 2, 4, 7 Super Munchkin 1&2, Munchkin Bites 1&2, Munchkin Fu, Star Munchkin Deluxe and Star 2
    http://ghornet.deviantart.com/

Comment

If there's one man alive whom I trust to know both of these characters inside and out, it's Will Murray. Probably even more so than the late Philip Jose Farmer. Will Murray wrote THE DUENDE HISTORY OF THE SHADOW MAGAZINE, the go-to source on the character and his pulp adventures, and worked closely with Walter Gibson in compiling THE SHADOW SCRAPBOOK. He's read every Shadow and Doc Savage novel multiple times, had personal contact with Shadow creator Walter Gibson, and Doc Savage creator Lester Dent's widow (and she gave him access to all of Dent's notes and records). Yet it's the first time he'll be tackling The Shadow in a fictional context (even though he's been writing Doc Savage novels, based on notes and outlines of Lester Dent's, for 25 years). So I'll be looking to snap this up just as soon as it's released, and read it just as soon as can possibly find time to.
      Last edited by pulphero; 04-12-2015, 11:43 AM.

Comment

G'day,

Didn't realize they were publishing new Doc Savage novels. I see through Amazon they are available as e-books. There seems to be some Avenger stories to. Might purchase one to see what they are like.

ta

Ralph
        Last edited by ralphuniverse; 04-12-2015, 03:09 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by ralphuniverse View Post
          G'day,

Didn't realize they were publishing new Doc Savage novels. I see through Amazon they are available as e-books. There seems to be some Avenger stories to. Might purchase one to see what they are like.

ta

Ralph
          Where've you BEEN, Ralph? The Sinister Shadow will be Will Murray's 17th Doc Savage novel (the first was Python Isle, published by Bantam Books in 1991). The current series is now published by Altus Press, since reviving the series in 2011 (reprints of the original pulp novels are handled by Sanctum Books). It will, however, be absolutely the first new prose fiction story to feature The Shadow since Walter Gibson died. The last previous author other than Gibson to have a new Shadow prose story published was Dennis Lynds in 1964-1965 (not counting the movie "novelization").

Moonstone Books has been publishing the anthologies of short prose fiction (and a few novels) based on characters like The Spider, The Phantom, Green Lama, The Avenger, Lone Ranger, Green Hornet, Domino Lady, Captain Midnight, Captain Action, Zorro, and probably a half-dozen others that slip my mind at the moment for something like 10 years.
          Last edited by pulphero; 04-12-2015, 12:29 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by pulphero View Post
            Moonstone Books has been publishing the anthologies of short prose fiction (and a few novels) based on characters like The Spider, The Phantom, Green Lama, The Avenger, Lone Ranger, Green Hornet, Domino Lady, Captain Midnight, Captain Action, Zorro, and probably a half-dozen others that slip my mind at the moment for something like 10 years.
            I have all 3 Green Hornet books, the first Zorro book and the one they did for the Phantom. They were pretty good. As with most anthologies there were a few stories I didn't care for and a few really good ones. All in all not bad. Wish they'd do another Phantom and more Green Hornet.
            Munchkin 1, 2, 4, 7 Super Munchkin 1&2, Munchkin Bites 1&2, Munchkin Fu, Star Munchkin Deluxe and Star 2

Comment

Originally posted by Ghornet2 View Post
              I have all 3 Green Hornet books, the first Zorro book and the one they did for the Phantom. They were pretty good. As with most anthologies there were a few stories I didn't care for and a few really good ones. All in all not bad. Wish they'd do another Phantom and more Green Hornet.
              But they DID do The Phantom Chronicles 2...!

There are also three Moonstone Avenger anthologies, 2 Spider anthologies, 2 Tales of Zorro, and one each of The Lone Ranger, Domino Lady, and Captain Midnight. Plus one original novel each for The Spider, The Lone Ranger, Domino Lady, and Green Lama.

Cornerstone Books/Airship 27 has two Green Lama anthologies, two Black Bat Mysteries, and four Secret Agent X anthologies, among various other more obscure characters.
              Last edited by pulphero; 04-19-2015, 04:11 PM.

Comment

I'm looking at getting a kindle or a tablet and realizing that a lot of Doc Savage and Spider stuff are out there fairly cheap. Including Will Murray's collection of articles on Doc Savage.
                http://www.amazon.com/Writings-Bronz...ds=will+murray
                Haven't seen much on The Shadow unfortunately.

Comment

I'm looking at getting a kindle or a tablet and realizing that a lot of Doc Savage and Spider stuff are out there fairly cheap. Including Will Murray's collection of articles on Doc Savage.
                  http://www.amazon.com/Writings-Bronz...ds=will+murray
                  Haven't seen much on The Shadow unfortunately.
                  Anthony Tollin's Sanctum Books has the reprint rights to the original Street & Smith pulp novels of Doc and The Shadow (as well as The Avenger and The Whisperer), and it looks to be an exclusive deal with Conde Nast (or Advance Magazine Publishers, as they're calling the fiction arm of the company). Unfortunately for the digitally inclined, he hasn't yet gone the digital route (although it would seem to be inevitable that he, or someone else, will). Both Altus Press and Radio Archives offer digital pulps. Altus Press also has a number of books related to pulp history. Anyone can do the public domain characters (like the Black Bat). Understandably, the pulps appeal mostly to the old school, print-type guys, but it's bound to become more common as tablets become more commonplace. Pulp guys are foot-draggers into the digital age.

Comment

Originally posted by pulphero View Post
                    Anthony Tollin's Sanctum Books has the reprint rights to the original Street & Smith pulp novels of Doc and The Shadow (as well as The Avenger and The Whisperer), and it looks to be an exclusive deal with Conde Nast (or Advance Magazine Publishers, as they're calling the fiction arm of the company). Unfortunately for the digitally inclined, he hasn't yet gone the digital route (although it would seem to be inevitable that he, or someone else, will). Both Altus Press and Radio Archives offer digital pulps. Altus Press also has a number of books related to pulp history. Anyone can do the public domain characters (like the Black Bat). Understandably, the pulps appeal mostly to the old school, print-type guys, but it's bound to become more common as tablets become more commonplace. Pulp guys are foot-draggers into the digital age.
                    Yeah it's the new Doc stuff that's available. Main reason I'm going digital is that some things are available that would cost through the nose otherwise. In truth I really do prefer a book in my hand. Hopefully the original Doc Savage and Shadow pulps will become available digitally. There some early Lester Dent stuff available which sounds interesting.
                    Hell In Boxes featuring Foster Fade & Lynn Lash
                    Weird Adventures of the Blond Adder
                    Last edited by Ghornet2; 05-07-2015, 07:51 PM.

Comment

Yeah it's the new Doc stuff that's available. Main reason I'm going digital is that some things are available that would cost through the nose otherwise. In truth I really do prefer a book in my hand. Hopefully the original Doc Savage and Shadow pulps will become available digitally. There some early Lester Dent stuff available which sounds interesting.
                      Hell In Boxes featuring Foster Fade & Lynn Lash
                      Weird Adventures of the Blond Adder
                      I have been narrowing down my search for a tablet as well. Mainly for the purposes of reading comics digitally (those that I don't decide to buy in trade paperback first). I've come down to a compromise between readability and portability & cost, and decided I must have a 10.1"(diagonal) display for reading comics. Since most comics nowadays are designed as story arcs meant to be eventually collected in trade pb anyway, this seems to make the most sense to me as the way to both read and collect them. The exceptions to this would be one-shot, done-in-one (or very small press) comic books, and the kid-friendly stuff like Archie Comics, Bongo Comics, and DC Kids titles like Scooby-Doo Team-Up, where all stories are complete in one issue. Meanwhile, digital comics provide a good way to read Digital-First, Digital-Only, webcomics and public domain comics, and purchase new titles to preview/read that I might be interested in getting later in trade. Pulps are in there somewhere, along with regular digital books, but the reprint market for pulp reprints has never been better, thanks to things like print-on-demand capabilities, the internet and the ability to sell to a widely dispersed niche market of readers (most comic shops carry little in the way of pulp reprints). In addition to the New Pulp writers from companies like Moonstone and Airship 27 (to name just 2 of the most prominent among many tiny self-publishers), companies like Adventure House, Altus Press, Jerry Schneider Enterprises, and Sanctum Books are all doing a good job covering the print versions of some of the classic hero pulps and SF pulps, with a good variety of less-recognizable pulp authors and genres. Who knows if someday I may not go the all-digital route... but it's way too soon to tell at this point.

You're right though, collecting print versions of pulps does get expensive... considering the cheapest print versions usually run about $15 for one book, and the longer series like The Shadow, Doc Savage, The Spider, G-8, Phantom Detective and The Black Bat all ran for 100 novels or more. $15 will usually net you either one "pulp replica" reprint, or a "pulp double novel". Somewhere from $25 to $40 will usually net you a collection equivalent to between 3 and 5 novel length stories (or an equal word-count in shorter stories). That said, the prices are generally fairly-comparable to the equivalent prices for trade pb comics. And let's face it, today a floppy comic costs (mostly) FOUR DOLLARS, for a mere 22 pages of story.
                      Last edited by pulphero; 05-08-2015, 05:16 AM.

Comment

G'day,

Well I just finished eading Doc Savage Phantom Lagoon (on my kindle) and thoroughly enjoyed it . I expect I'll ne getting more certainly that Shadow/Doc Savage book.

ta

Ralph

Comment

Some of the stuff I'm thinking about. Obviously not all at once. Most of Murray's new Doc Savage stuff is out of print and is listed for $15 to $30 and some of this stuff is only available digitally.

Complete Green Lama 2 . . . Kendall Foster Crossen . . . $4.99
                          Complete Green Lama 1 . . . Kendall Foster Crossen . . . $4.99
                          Weird Adventures of the Blond Adder . . . Lester Dent . . . $4.99
                          Bat Bat Omnibus 1 . . . Norman A. Daniels . . . $4.99
                          Bat Bat Omnibus 2 . . . Norman A. Daniels . . . $4.99
                          Hell In Boxes . . . Lester Dent . . . $4.99 . . . Early Pre Doc PulpsComplete Tales of Doctor Satan . . . Paul Ernst . . . $4.99
                          New Adventures of Foster Fade . . . Adam Lance Garcia . . . $2.99 . . . Characters from Hell in Boxes
                          Revised Complete Chronology of Bronze . . . Rick Lai . . . $4.99
                          Bat Strikes Again . . . Johnston McCulley . . . $4.99
                          Curse Of Capistrano/Zorro . . . Johnston McCulley . . . $0.99 . . . Several Versions
                          Man in Purple . . . Johnston McCulley . . . $4.99
                          Swift Revenge Of The Green Ghost . . . Johnston McCulley . . . $4.99
                          Doc Savage . . . Will Murray . . . $4.99 . . . All his new Doc Savage are at $.99
                          Writing In Bronze . . . Will Murray . . . $4.99 . . . Doc Savage Articles
                          New Adventures of Lynn Lash . . . Andrew Salmon . . . $2.99 . . . Characters from Hell in Boxes
                          The Spider . . . R.T.M. Scott/Grant Stockbridge . . . $2.99 . . . Most are available at $2.99
                          In the Pulps . . . Rex Stout . . . $0.99

Comment

Most of Murray's new Doc Savage stuff is out of print and is listed for $15 to $30 (...)
                            Well, THAT statement certainly mystifies me... unless by "most" what you really meant is, in fact, "three". Of Will Murray's 16 Doc Savage novels, only The Frightened Fish (1992), The Jade Ogre (1992), and Flight Into Fear (1993), all of them originally published by Bantam Books, are out-of-print. The other 13 are most definitely IN-print (although technically, perhaps more accurately described as "ready to be printed to order"), although some (possibly even "most") may not be available digitally... I haven't checked. List price of the All New Adventures of Doc Savage series from Altus Press is $24.95 each (but shipping is free), available directly from Altus Press.

Additionally, these titles are available from Amazon.com (some for less than list price).

Now, the good news is, those three out-of-print Doc Savage novels by Will Murray ARE available as audiobooks, from Radio Archives, along with a few other Doc novels, as well as many other original pulp stories, like The Spider, The Black Bat, and The Green Lama, as part of the "Will Murray's Pulp Classics" audiobooks collection -- read word-for-word from the original pulp novels.

(...) and some of this stuff is only available digitally.

Complete Green Lama 2 . . . Kendall Foster Crossen . . . $4.99
                            Complete Green Lama 1 . . . Kendall Foster Crossen . . . $4.99
                            Weird Adventures of the Blond Adder . . . Lester Dent . . . $4.99
                            Bat Bat Omnibus 1 . . . Norman A. Daniels . . . $4.99
                            Bat Bat Omnibus 2 . . . Norman A. Daniels . . . $4.99
                            Hell In Boxes . . . Lester Dent . . . $4.99 . . . Early Pre Doc PulpsComplete Tales of Doctor Satan . . . Paul Ernst . . . $4.99
                            New Adventures of Foster Fade . . . Adam Lance Garcia . . . $2.99 . . . Characters from Hell in Boxes
                            Revised Complete Chronology of Bronze . . . Rick Lai . . . $4.99
                            Bat Strikes Again . . . Johnston McCulley . . . $4.99
                            Curse Of Capistrano/Zorro . . . Johnston McCulley . . . $0.99 . . . Several Versions
                            Man in Purple . . . Johnston McCulley . . . $4.99
                            Swift Revenge Of The Green Ghost . . . Johnston McCulley . . . $4.99
                            Doc Savage . . . Will Murray . . . $4.99 . . . All his new Doc Savage are at $.99
                            Writing In Bronze . . . Will Murray . . . $4.99 . . . Doc Savage Articles
                            New Adventures of Lynn Lash . . . Andrew Salmon . . . $2.99 . . . Characters from Hell in Boxes
                            The Spider . . . R.T.M. Scott/Grant Stockbridge . . . $2.99 . . . Most are available at $2.99
                            In the Pulps . . . Rex Stout . . . $0.99
                            Once again... a big "Nope!". ALL of that stuff is available in print, although not at the discount digital prices you're quoting here. "But WHY..." (I hear you asking) "...does a new (or reprint) pulp novel cost me $25, when I remember buying the old Bantam Docs for a mere (fill in your price here, from 60c to $2.95)??? WHY, for the love of God?!?" Because these are not MASS-market paperbacks, they're made-to-order, print-on-demand books... one copy made for each customer that orders one. $25 is simply the price of doing business for a niche market of (at best) a few thousand people.

PS -- You may want to look for Rick Lai's Chronology of Shadows, as well.

I might also add that if you're interested in New Pulp stories (particularly in the .PDF format, at $3 each), you should check out Ron Fortier's Airship 27 Hangar, where you should find something to appeal to your interests in digital pulp.
                            Last edited by pulphero; 05-08-2015, 11:57 AM.

Comment

You're right most of them are in print. For some reason where I was looking only the digital price was coming up. Not sure why.

I'm currently reading Writing In Bronze and it's very interesting.
                              Last edited by Ghornet2; 05-08-2015, 09:45 PM.

Comment

Working...
                              X