Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Doc Savage vs. The Sinister Shadow (Coming Soon)

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Ghornet2 View Post
    You're right most of them are in print. For some reason where I was looking only the digital price was coming up. Not sure why.

I'm currently reading Writing In Bronze and it's very interesting.
    I enjoyed it. It makes a great companion book to Philip Jose Farmer's Doc Savage: His Apocalyptic Life (ALSO back in print, in a collaborative effort between Altus Press and Meteor House), Rick Lai's Chronology of Bronze, and Larry Wilden's Doc Savage: Arch Enemy of Evil.

And I was apparently wrong about Will Murray's The Frightened Fish being out-of-print. That Doc Savage novel was recently reprinted (in hardcover yet - price: $20) by Moonstone Books. That leaves but two of Murray's Doc novels still out-of-print.
    Last edited by pulphero; 05-09-2015, 04:15 AM.

Comment

Just finished reading the 3 Lash Lynn novellas in 'Hell in Boxes' by Lester Dent. Very enjoyable, I'm not sold on the Foster Fade stories but I'm not that far into the first one.
      Always remember, Murphy was an optimist
      Munchkin 1, 2, 4, 7 Super Munchkin 1&2, Munchkin Bites 1&2, Munchkin Fu, Star Munchkin Deluxe and Star 2
      http://ghornet.deviantart.com/

Comment

Just finished reading the 3 Lash Lynn novellas in 'Hell in Boxes' by Lester Dent. Very enjoyable, I'm not sold on the Foster Fade stories but I'm not that far into the first one.
        I have to say I find it odd what some of the reprint publishers choose to print. I had never even heard of many (maybe even most?) of the characters now being anthologized by Altus Press. Yet, on the other hand, things that I've wanted to read for years... like Johnston McCulley's complete Zorro stories, Fran Striker's Lone Ranger novels, the novelizations of Lee Falk's Phantom strip continuities, the Domino Lady stories (except in an expensive oversized hardcover), G.T. Fleming-Roberts' Green Ghost stories, the one-shot villain pulps The Octopus and The Scorpion, et. al. have been reprinted only spottily, digitally, or not at all.

Well, at least Altus Press announced recently that they're going to publish the complete Moon Man stories by Frederick Davis. It's about time. I mean, I'm grateful that they did get around to reprinting the complete Green Lama stories, and at least made a start on the run of Black Bat stories (which is now going to be published as Double Novels by Sanctum Books). But sometimes it seems like there's this huge gap between the most obvious star material (like The Shadow and Doc Savage and The Spider), and the truly obscure (which Altus seems to specialize in), with practically no middle ground for the second- and third-tier characters between them. Not that I'd call characters like Zorro, Lone Ranger, and The Phantom second-tier... but really!! ... no perceived audience for those stories? No, they skip over the more palatable choices and go straight to grade-Z characters like the Crimson Mask and the Masked Detective (... er, right -- who??)
        Last edited by pulphero; 05-17-2015, 03:06 PM.

Comment

It's part of the reason I gave in and got a tablet. There were things I wanted to read but didn't/couldn't spend the money on. At anywhere from .99 to 5.99 I can afford it. Once I get through my initial bunch there are about 20 that are on my list. With my comicbook outlay going down a little I can do at least 2 a month if not 1 a week. Green Ghost is on my list as well as a couple other McCulley or Dent titles.
          From what I can tell 'The <ark of Zorro' is available in at least a dozen versions including at least 1 comic book. 'Zorro Rides Again ' and 'The further Adventures of Zorro' are also available as well as a ton of other McCulley stuff including 'The Green Ghost', The 'Man in Purple' and 'The Whirlwind' Why Zorro gets the short end of the stick is anybody's guess.
          Last edited by Ghornet2; 05-17-2015, 09:15 PM.
          Munchkin 1, 2, 4, 7 Super Munchkin 1&2, Munchkin Bites 1&2, Munchkin Fu, Star Munchkin Deluxe and Star 2

Comment

It's part of the reason I gave in and got a tablet. There were things I wanted to read but didn't/couldn't spend the money on. At anywhere from .99 to 5.99 I can afford it. Once I get through my initial bunch there are about 20 that are on my list. With my comicbook outlay going down a little I can do at least 2 a month if not 1 a week. Green Ghost is on my list as well as a couple other McCulley or Dent titles.
            From what I can tell 'The <ark of Zorro' is available in at least a dozen versions including at least 1 comic book. 'Zorro Rides Again ' and 'The further Adventures of Zorro' are also available as well as a ton of other McCulley stuff including 'The Green Ghost', The 'Man in Purple' and 'The Whirlwind' Why Zorro gets the short end of the stick is anybody's guess.
            I'm guessing that except for the first few Zorro novels written by McCulley -- and there was a big gap in between the original novel "The Curse of Capistrano" (subsequently released in book form as "The Mark of Zorro") and its first sequel (prompted by the popularity of Douglas Fairbanks' silent screen adaptation of McCulley's first book), and the later further adventures (which didn't start appearing until the 1930s), none of the following books is yet in public domain. Or at least, damn few of them. So any attempt to completely reprint McCulley's sequence of novels would require the authorization of Zorro Inc., and no U.S. publisher has been willing to strike a deal with them for that license. The same would of course apply to the paperback novels based on Lee Falk's The Phantom originally published by Avon Books in the 1970s, and Fran Striker's Lone Ranger novels written in the 1940s and 1950s (he had nothing to do with the 1936 LR pulp magazine novels -- all of which HAVE been reprinted by Adventure House -- whose actual authors remain unattributed, but there is some speculation that Gaylord DuBois, later to write numerous scripts for Gold Key comics, may have been one of them, possibly the first).

Oh, and I wasn't talking about the Johnston McCulley Green Ghost there (the single complete print collection of short stories is published by Altus Press, along with Alias The Whirlwind, The Man in Purple, and The Bat Strikes Again and Again), but the other, later, Green Ghost (originally debuting in his own magazine as simply The Ghost) written by G. T. Fleming-Roberts (and in public domain). That would be the one used as the basis for the George Chance character that appeared in Peter Hogan's Terra Obscura series. The only reprints I know of are one from Pulp Tales Press (Jerry Schneider LLC) that has 4 of the later, shorter stories after he lost his own magazine and moved over into Thrilling Mystery Magazine, and two of the earlier novels reprinted by Adventure House (shown below).

Click image for larger version

Name:	l_green_ghost_det_w41.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	73.6 KB
ID:	48986Click image for larger version

Name:	51Co0Q6pbxL.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	42.1 KB
ID:	48987
            Last edited by pulphero; 05-18-2015, 07:17 AM.

Comment

His Hooded Detective is available and one Green Ghost as well as a smattering of other stuff. Hooded is one of the Next three on my list, Dent's Blond Adder and McCulley's Bat are the other two.

Comment

His Hooded Detective is available and one Green Ghost as well as a smattering of other stuff. Hooded is one of the Next three on my list, Dent's Blond Adder and McCulley's Bat are the other two.
                Hooded Detective, the pulp magazine, was originally titled Black Hood Detective (based on the comic book character owned by the same publisher). It's speculated that the title change may have been forced by the similarity to Standard Magazines' Black Book Detective (home of the Black Bat). In any case, the magazine only ran three issues. The only other comic book character to reverse the usual trend and appear in the pulps after debuting in comic books first, was Fiction House's Sheena, whose pulp career was limited to a one-shot pulp magazine named after her, plus a couple of novelettes that appeared in Fiction House's Jungle Stories. Altus Press has reprinted all three of those under the generic title Adventures of the Jungle Queen, since "Sheena" is trademarked, although the novels (like the Black Hood novels) are now public domain.
                Last edited by pulphero; 05-23-2015, 06:29 AM.

Comment

@ Ghornet2 -- You may also be interested in the following sources of e-books that reprint some classic pulp stories:

Will Murray's Pulp Classics from RadioArchives.com. At $2.99 each, they're reasonably affordable.

Wildside Press offers numerous authors in ebook format. Of particular interest are their Megapacks, that bundle a lot of classic pulp fiction for the low price of 99 cents.

I think most of these may be available on Amazon.com as well.
                  Last edited by pulphero; 05-23-2015, 06:29 AM.

Comment

I had been looking at a bunch of the Mega packs and will probably grab a couple in the near future. I'm currently reading 'The Bat' between the hood he wears and the origin of the name, it's hard to miss the obvious influence on Batman. Blond adder is next then maybe a megapack to get a range of authors.

Comment

I had been looking at a bunch of the Mega packs and will probably grab a couple in the near future. I'm currently reading 'The Bat' between the hood he wears and the origin of the name, it's hard to miss the obvious influence on Batman. Blond adder is next then maybe a megapack to get a range of authors.
                      An entire book could probably be written on the key connection between pulp publisher (of both The Bat and The Black Bat) Standard Magazines, and comic book publisher National Comics (Batman) -- the one hands-on writer and editor that links the two publishers and two similar characters -- Whitney Ellsworth. As far as is known, he was never asked on record about exactly what went on there, but he had worked for Standard as a writer and editor, and was editor of National at the time Bob Kane was given the assignment to come up with a new 'super-type' character for Detective Comics. Jack Schiff, another former alumnus of Standard Magazines, who also left Standard to come to National Comics (replacing draftee Mort Weisinger, who had previously moved from Standard to National), swore that he remembered Ellsworth writing 'some' Black Bat stories for him when he edited Black Book Detective for Standard -- although there's no way of proving this -- and ironically, if it were true, Ellsworth would have had to written any Black Bat novels after the publication of Detective Comics #27... which appeared on newsstands a month or two before the Black Bat's first appearance in Black Book Detective! Is it possible Schiff was remembering not the Black Bat, but the earlier Bat now attributed to Johnston McCulley? Very curious indeed...

Comment

Enjoying The Bat stories to bad there are only three. Is The Man In Purple any good?
                        Enjoyed Lash Lynn and Foster Fade wasn't to bad either.

Comment

Just read "The Bat" stories followed by the "Curse of Capistrano". Batman owes so much to both characters I almost feel Johnston McCulley should be given creator credit for Batman. I definitely recommend "The Bat" for any Batman fan.

Comment

I enjoyed 'Escape from Loki' by Philip Jose Farmer and a couple of the Will Murray books so I'll probably give this a try.
                            The e-book version of The Sinister Shadow is priced at $5.99, a fraction of the printed book's $24.95 cover price.
                            http://www.adventuresinbronze.com/pr...-shadow-ebook/

Ditto for Will Murray's TARZAN novel, Return to Pal-Ul-Don:
                            http://www.adventuresinbronze.com/pr...-ul-don-ebook/

Comment

Originally posted by pulphero View Post
                              The e-book version of The Sinister Shadow is priced at $5.99, a fraction of the printed book's $24.95 cover price.
                              http://www.adventuresinbronze.com/pr...-shadow-ebook/

Ditto for Will Murray's TARZAN novel, Return to Pal-Ul-Don:
                              http://www.adventuresinbronze.com/pr...-ul-don-ebook/
                              Thanks for the links. I've got a little bit of a back log but doc/Shadow is next on the list.

Comment

Thanks for the links. I've got a little bit of a back log but doc/Shadow is next on the list.
                                http://www.altuspress.com/lester-dent/genius-jones/

Here's another one for you. Genius Jones by Lester Dent. That comment, in the description of the character, "raised on enycyclopedias" made me think of the identically-named DC Golden Age character Genius Jones (in this case written by Alfred Bester, later a Hugo and Nebula Award-winning SF author). The DC character appeared first in Adventure Comics (and later in More Fun Comics), at the time, I'm pretty sure, edited by Mort Weisinger. Weisinger knew Lester Dent, and frequently "borrowed" ideas... er, "paid homage" to his ideas, like giving Superman a Fortress of Solitude just like Lester Dent had given Doc Savage a Fortress of Solitude.

Comment

Working...
                                X