Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Justice Inc : The Avenger

G'day,

Just read the first issue, over all a very good story. Hand be enthralled until the end. Looking forward to the next issue. What do others think?

Ralph

Very Good. I think I'm going to wait until the TPB because it seems like it will read better as a whole piece.
    Always remember, Murphy was an optimist
    Munchkin 1, 2, 4, 7 Super Munchkin 1&2, Munchkin Bites 1&2, Munchkin Fu, Star Munchkin Deluxe and Star 2
    http://ghornet.deviantart.com/

Comment

It felt like it has potential, but I'll wait another issue or two before I decide if I'll stick with it or not.

Narration was a tad wordy (and this coming from a guy who grew up reading comic books back in the 1970s) compared to current styles. It may have been done to reflect how narration in the pulps from the 1930s and 1940s was done, but it was still a bit distracting for a 21st century-written comic book story.

Comment

Glaring error in issue #3?

This really seems like a stupid mistake to make.

In the issue, Benson had been attacked by and fought with some invisible lions. (No, that's not what I'm talking about as the mistake.) After being rescued by Nellie, who shoots one of the lions, we're told
        Within the hour, Benson returns to his Bleek Street headquarters ...
        . . . to receive expert first aid from Rosabel, a registered nurse, and vital intelligence from her and her husband, Josh.
        In the next panel we see somebody applying bandages to Benson's leg who tells him "Those cleaning jobs you set us up with at Engle Chemical paid off already, chief."

The problem is, the person speaking and applying the bandages is a white woman with blonde hair who looks strangely like Nellie, the one who shot the lion on the previous page. Josh and Rosabel are a black / African American couple who are drawn sitting at the table while Benson is being attended to but aren't doing or saying anything in that panel.

And there are other areas where it appears the word balloons for one character are instead linked to a different character. Overall, just sloppy, clumsy mistakes that take away from any possible enjoyment.

Comment

Originally posted by MajorHoy View Post
          This really seems like a stupid mistake to make.

In the issue, Benson had been attacked by and fought with some invisible lions. (No, that's not what I'm talking about as the mistake.) After being rescued by Nellie, who shoots one of the lions, we're told
          In the next panel we see somebody applying bandages to Benson's leg who tells him "Those cleaning jobs you set us up with at Engle Chemical paid off already, chief."

The problem is, the person speaking and applying the bandages is a white woman with blonde hair who looks strangely like Nellie, the one who shot the lion on the previous page. Josh and Rosabel are a black / African American couple who are drawn sitting at the table while Benson is being attended to but aren't doing or saying anything in that panel.

And there are other areas where it appears the word balloons for one character are instead linked to a different character. Overall, just sloppy, clumsy mistakes that take away from any possible enjoyment.
          Seems to have been a miscommunication between the writer's script and the artist, and it may be that the artist was totally unfamiliar with the characters of Josh and Rosabel, and somehow got confused. Doesn't look like this can be attributed to a colorist's mistake or the misplacement of dialogue balloons (or balloon pointers), so it seems unlikely to be fixed prior to a trade paperback. For what it's worth, this isn't an isolated incident for DE. More often, the problem is a production error with balloon placement. There have been several instances where whole pages of dialogue went missing with balloons from the wrong page placed over the art.

The only way I could see of fixing this involves an actual change to the script, with the word balloons and captions altered to indicate the sitting Rosabel and Josh verbally directing Nellie to apply the bandage to Benson's leg. Something like having the panel re-drawn usually seems out of the question. I gather DE doesn't have an in-house production department capable of making the art corrections.
          Last edited by pulphero; 08-15-2015, 01:55 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by pulphero View Post
            Seems to have been a miscommunication between the writer's script and the artist, and it may be that the artist was totally unfamiliar with the characters of Josh and Rosabel . . .
            Even though he was drawing his third issue with the characters, and even though he was the same guy who just drew Nellie shooting the lion on the previous page?
            Without knowing how they do things at this book, like whether the artist is working off a fully completed script or if he's given a looser outline and then the scripting is completed on top of the finished artwork, it's hard to say where the problem originated. But it would have been nice if someone bothered to proofread things before they get printed.

Comment

Originally posted by MajorHoy View Post
              Without knowing how they do things at this book, like whether the artist is working off a fully completed script or if he's given a looser outline and then the scripting is completed on top of the finished artwork, it's hard to say where the problem originated. But it would have been nice if someone bothered to proofread things before they get printed.
              Well, I know Mark Waid knows who the characters are, and even without seeing the page in question, it seems hardly likely he could have mistaken a drawing of Nellie Gray for a drawing of Rosabel, so I doubt he's putting dialogue and captions in after seeing the artwork. How to account for this, I don't know, unless the artist needs to start working ahead of Waid's finished script, and so is drawing from a plot synopsis, yet Waid never actually sees the art before committing the final script.

Two questions I would ask are: Does Ronilson Freire speak/write English fluently (I'm unfamiliar with the artist's nationality)? -- and what's up with Christopher Sequeira working with Waid on this as a co-writer? Something's obviously getting lost in communication, because there's no accounting for this as the fault of the production department in not placing the balloons correctly. They can hardly be expected to get it right if what the words are saying is at odds with what the artwork is depicting.

Comment

Working...
              X