John Carter

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by ralphuniverse View Post
    Sorry ChastMastr my opinion of feminist, at least of the SJW types have been formed from my own experiences. I now place SJWs in the same class as Nazis, Islamic fanatics, Communists, the Westbro Baptist Church and the Klu Klax Klan.
    Gee, thanks. And people wonder why I say, "Whatever"?

Comment

Originally posted by ChastMastr View Post
      Gee, thanks. And people wonder why I say, "Whatever"?
      The "problem" is that the "bad" feminists too often drown out the "good" ones. That's the distinction in Ralph's quote that you replied to. I don't know of "good" KKK members.

I doubt anyone is seriously opposed to equality for women. But by the same token, no one likes to be preached to, either. That's where Ralph gets annoyed and I admit that I get tired of it too even when I agree with the basic message.

At the end of the day, I buy these things to be entertained and as an escape. Not to have the writer's personal opinion crammed down my throat repeatedly. If I buy Vampirella, I expect certain things from the book based on past material. If someone wants to change the character to suit his or her opinion, then backlash is to be expected.
      Last edited by Captain Canuck; 01-14-2016, 03:41 PM.

Comment

Click image for larger version

Name:	azizfeminism.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	72.0 KB
ID:	49103

Hopefully this will make what I have been trying to say clearer.

Comment

Originally posted by The Namer View Post
          Does the current series end with issue 14?

Nothing has been listed since December 2015????

As I have no intention of collecting the new Dejah Thoris series, this was my last bastion of seeing the characters done correctly.
          So after all of the nonsense that this thread derived into........ I think we have ascertained that the John Carter book has ended.

Thank you for contributing............

Comment

Originally posted by ChastMastr View Post
            Not anyone I'd voluntarily hang around with. And I think that notion does a great disservice to male heterosexual readers by assuming that they're that ignorant.
            I did qualify that using the word "unfortunately", didn't I? I'm just telling you what it's come to mean in the context of what we're discussing, which is the changing image of women as portrayed in comic books. You seemed a little confused on that particular point. That said, I don't think it's any sort of exaggeration to say that it is not, by and large, what the male heterosexual readers of comic books want, and I really don't think you're in any position to refute that. It has nothing to do with ignorance, it has to do with consumer choice, and what factors go into making a comic book about a female character into a comic book that those readers would want to spend their money on. It's not the only factor, but it's certainly a key one. We get to spend our money on the things we prefer, and I find it insulting that you seem to think we should spend our money on the type of comics that YOU prefer. You can certainly make your own choices, as can the female comic book readers, and let the chips fall where they may.

I might add that from the very beginning, female comic book characters who were the protagonists of their own series were much more "feminist" in the literal sense than was common for the average woman in Western culture, but somehow it never seemed to stop them from being sexy as well, from Sheena and Wonder Woman moving forward. Now however, the current perception in the comic book industry seems to be that you can't be sexy in any overt sort of way (as were those older characters) and still be properly feminist, and that is exactly what you seem to be blind to.
            Last edited by pulphero; 01-19-2016, 04:49 PM.

Comment

We're going to have to disagree on a lot of this, alas, and no, I don't think I'm blind to anything--we just don't agree. I do appear to be the only one on this board with this position, but such is life.

Comment

John Carter the end

http://www.bleedingcool.com/2016/11/...d-john-carter/
                Click image for larger version

Name:	JCEnd01-Cov-E-Sub-Tan.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	90.0 KB
ID:	49138
                This looks very interesting.

Comment

I have not been a fan of Brian Wood's comics up to this point in time, and I'm totally unfamiliar with Alex Cox's art, so they'll have to show me some pages before I go pre-ordering this. Possibly interesting on a conceptual level, but the execution is everything to me.
                  DE pull list: Will Eisner's The Spirit: The Corpse Makers, ERB's The Greatest Adventure, Green Hornet '66 Meets The Spirit, PSP: Herokillers, KISS/Vampirella, Mighty Mouse

Comment

I want to try to get into this series but don't know what order to read the books in.

If someone could give me a list of the various John Carter/Barsoom TPBs in chronological order so I know what order to read them in that would be great. I am also interested in the Tarzan and Pathfinder crossover but I will likely pass on "feminist Dejah Thoris". To each his own but one of the great things about pulp is that it represents a time before all of the PC nonsense ruined media.

Comment

1. A Princess of Mars
                      2. The Gods of Mars
                      3. The Warlord of Mars
                      4. Thuvia, Maid of Mars
                      5. The Chessmen of Mars
                      6. The Master Mind of Mars
                      7. A Fighting Man of Mars
                      8. Swords of Mars
                      9. Synthetic Men of Mars
                      10. Llana of Gathol
                      11. John Carter of Mars

EDIT: Oh, you meant the DE comics. Well, there are 4 TP volumes of the WARLORD OF MARS series, followed by 2 volumes of the JOHN CARTER WARLORD OF MARS series.
                      There are 7 volumes of the WARLORD OF MARS DEJAH THORIS series (which takes place hundreds of years earlier than WoM -- or thousands, I forget).
                      Then there are 3 volumes of DEJAH THORIS AND THE GREEN MEN OF MARS, followed by one of DEJAH THORIS AND THE WHITE APES OF MARS.
                      Then there are the one-shot TPs FALL OF BARSOOM (prehistory of Mars), WARRIORS OF MARS (John Carter and Gullivar Jones), and LORDS OF MARS (John Carter and Tarzan).
                      That's about it except for the recently-rebooted Dejah Thoris miniseries (which I didn't read, so I don't know how -or if- it relates).
                      It doesn't really matter which order you read these in, apart from the individual series which had multiple volumes (and the volume #s are right on the cover).
                      Chronologically speaking, FALL OF BARSOOM is the earliest in time, followed by the WARLORD OF MARS DEJAH THORIS series, followed by WARLORD OF MARS and JOHN CARTER.
                      DEJAH/GREEN MEN and WHITE APES take place roughly concurrent with the latter part of (or possibly after) WARLORD OF MARS.

One possible reading order:
                      WARLORD OF MARS FALL OF BARSOOM
                      WARLORD OF MARS DEJAH THORIS 1-7
                      WARLORD OF MARS 1-4
                      WARRIORS OF MARS
                      DEJAH THORIS AND THE GREEN MEN OF MARS 1-3
                      DEJAH THORIS AND THE WHITE APES OF MARS
                      LORDS OF MARS
                      JOHN CARTER WARLORD OF MARS 1-2

Another possible order would be:
                      WARLORD OF MARS 1-4
                      WARRIORS OF MARS
                      LORDS OF MARS
                      JOHN CARTER WARLORD OF MARS 1-2

WARLORD OF MARS FALL OF BARSOOM
                      WARLORD OF MARS DEJAH THORIS 1-7
                      DEJAH THORIS AND THE GREEN MEN OF MARS 1-3
                      DEJAH THORIS AND THE WHITE APES OF MARS
                      Last edited by positronic; 12-10-2016, 09:38 PM.
                      DE pull list: Will Eisner's The Spirit: The Corpse Makers, ERB's The Greatest Adventure, Green Hornet '66 Meets The Spirit, PSP: Herokillers, KISS/Vampirella, Mighty Mouse

Comment

Nice job, 'tronic. Whenever these go on sale on Comixology I get a little thrown off by the various titles and such too. I'll be referring back to this.

Comment

Picked up a couple of DE titles this week and there's a couple of ERB/John Carter things in the house ads. One is an interview with Woods and Cox about JOHN CARTER: THE END. Have to say it doesn't sound promising to me, especially if the interior artwork is the same as depicted on the facing page (the artist's name is never mentioned). It takes places thousands of years in the future, Barsoom's climate and ecology is completely transformed and the planet is dying, Carter and Dejah are now physically aged, and no longer in love, living on one of Mars' deserted moons. Think I'll pass on this one.

The other thing was a blurb about Bill Willingham's upcoming ERB heroes mashup, THE GREATEST ADVENTURE (the blurb promises more info to come in upcoming weeks and months). It features artwork by Cezar Rezek, a former artist on WARLORD OF MARS, and unites characters like Jason Gridley, John Carter, Tarzan, Korak, Dejah (and probably a lot of others, though not mentioned by name). I'd expect to at least see David Innes and Carson of Venus, and probably lesser-known ERB heroes as well. I've got a much better feeling about this one.
                          Last edited by positronic; 12-15-2016, 02:32 AM.

Comment

The Greatest Adventure: https://t.co/A6086RUZNn

Comment

Originally posted by rasx View Post
                              The Greatest Adventure: https://t.co/A6086RUZNn
                              Not much more by way of information, apart from the release date, but I liked the cover art, and the logo which emulates Ballantine's paperback reprints of the Mars series from the 1980s.

Comment

Dynamite Pulp solicits for May 2017 including lots of ERB stuff: https://www.bleedingcool.com/2017/02...ping-may-2017/

Comment

Working...
                                X