Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Dynamite Announces "The Lone Ranger Meets the Green Hornet: Champions of Justice"

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Dynamite Announces "The Lone Ranger Meets the Green Hornet: Champions of Justice"

http://www.comicbookresources.com/ar...ons-of-justice

What is the connection between the Lone Ranger and the Green Hornet? Dynamite Entertainment's new "The Lone Ranger Meets the Green Hornet: Champions of Justice" series has the answer. CBR can exclusively reveal that writer Michael Uslan and artist Giovanni Timpano are reuniting for the new series, a crossover 80 years in the making.

According to an official series description,

The first chapter, entitled "Return With Us Now," creates a world of carefully researched alternative history in 1936. Readers will learn whatever happened to The Lone Ranger and discover his familial link to the emergence of a man who is a modern day urban version of The Lone Ranger himself. What is the blood connection of The Green Hornet to The Lone Ranger? What is the link of Olympic runner Jesse Owens to The Green Hornet? What role does Bat Masterson play in The Lone Ranger's New York adventure? What intense rift tears a family apart just when America desperately needs a great champion of justice? The shocking answers lie in the landmark new series 'The Lone Ranger Meets the Green Hornet: Champions of Justice!'
    "This is a golden opportunity and a golden age opportunity for me as a comic book fanboy, a movie buff, a fan of old-time dramatic radio, a comic book historian and a writer," Uslan shared. "It's a story I dreamed of for so many years, understanding that legally it could never come true. But thanks to Nick Barrucci, that dream has now come true and I'm honored to be able to be the one to tell this very important story."

"Thematically, it's a story about family and the forces that can tear it apart and bring it together," he continued. "It is an action-packed tale with scenes from the Wild West and scenes from Chicago in the 1930s filled with public enemies on the loose and Nazi Bund members inciting the worst in people... making it seem like the Wild West redux."

"Michael did an excellent job on our previous team up for 'The Shadow' and 'Green Hornet,' so of course we thought of him first for our next pairing some of our favorite masked men," added Dynamite CEO/Publisher, Nick Barrucci. "It's exciting to bring these two characters together for the first time ever with a series that fans of any age will be thrilled by!"

"The Lone Ranger Meets the Green Hornet: Champions of Justice" #1 goes on sale July 6.

I'm glad to see the connection finally developed in comics and surprised it's never been explored fully.
    Although I'm not sure about them "meeting", the legacy connection is a must.
    Excited to see how this pans out,

Comment

Originally posted by Guicho View Post
      I'm glad to see the connection finally developed in comics and surprised it's never been explored fully.
      They were never both licensed by the same company at the same time. The closest we've come is an occasional picture on the wall of the Green Hornet's study. Truthfully I'm not sure what took Dynamite so long.
      Always remember, Murphy was an optimist
      Munchkin 1, 2, 4, 7 Super Munchkin 1&2, Munchkin Bites 1&2, Munchkin Fu, Star Munchkin Deluxe and Star 2
      http://ghornet.deviantart.com/

Comment

Originally posted by Ghornet2 View Post
        Truthfully I'm not sure what took Dynamite so long.
        They needed to come up with a pitch that would convince both of the respective rights holders. There was an interview with Michael Uslan about LR/GH crossover in this week's Comic Shop News. After mentioning his prior experience writing pulp hero crossover stories for DE (The Shadow/Green Hornet, Justice Inc.) and discussing some specifics about the story (no, it won't feature any cameos by other pulp characters DE has licensed), Uslan mentioned he has at least 3 more potential crossovers on his "bucket list" to write, involving characters licensed by Dynamite. He has specific ideas but there's no point in producing a full script unless Nick Barrucci can surmount any resistance to the ideas by the respective rights holders. Sometimes it might take time to soften them up and bring them around to our way of thinking.

Not every pitch that DE comes up with always gets an automatic green light and stamp of approval from every rights holder, particularly when there are multiple rights holders involved.
        Last edited by pulphero; 05-13-2016, 08:03 AM.

Comment

Note from Michael Uslan that I just came across on a pulp-based Facebook group. It's a couple of weeks old, but sharing for those who may not have bsen it.

Just wanted to report in... I'm currently writing issue #4 of 5 of "The Lone Ranger Meets The Green Hornet: Champions of Justice," and I want you all to know I'm having a ball! This graphic novel/comic book mini-series requires extensive historical research on my part, every minute of which I love! I am loading it with Easter eggs...organically... for those hard-core fans like myself who get a kick out of these things when they do not interfere with or slow down the story. Every time I'm unsure about a word balloon for the Lone Ranger, I think about how Clayton Moore would talk. There are many real events in history and real people from history who appear in this saga, intertwined with Britt Reid and his great uncle John. I can't believe how fortunate I am that after 80 years this tale can finally be told and that I was in the right place at the right time to be able to write it. I accept the responsibility that this writing assignment brings. I am doing my utmost to honor Fran Striker, writing as if he is looking over my shoulder. Because some people consider the radio green Hornet to be the one true Green hornet, while others like the movie serial version, and many others prefer the 1960s TV version, I know I can't satisfy everybody with the tough choices I've had to make. But do know that I am trying my best to appeal to all Green Hornet and all Lone Ranger fans. What a complex and interesting and dramatic family story! Please take the ride with me and Giovanni Timpano when the first issue goes on sale July 6. And please pick up the following issues and give us a real shot to entertain you and show you our respect for the integrity of these characters and their story. Thanks!

Comment

Originally posted by Captain Canuck View Post
            Note from Michael Uslan that I just came across on a pulp-based Facebook group. It's a couple of weeks old, but sharing for those who may not have bsen it.
            Just wanted to report in... I'm currently writing issue #4 of 5 of "The Lone Ranger Meets The Green Hornet: Champions of Justice," . . .
            Wasn't this originally announced as a six-issue run?

Comment

Originally posted by MajorHoy View Post
              Wasn't this originally announced as a six-issue run?
              Apparently they changed the title too, from The Lone Ranger Meets The Green Hornet: Champions of Justice to the simpler Lone Ranger Green Hornet.
              DE pull list: Will Eisner's The Spirit: The Corpse Makers, ERB's The Greatest Adventure, Green Hornet '66 Meets The Spirit, PSP: Herokillers, KISS/Vampirella, Mighty Mouse

Comment

Well, after reading issue #3, I guess I'll be happy it's only five issues long.
                The art has been pretty mediocre in my eyes, and Uslan is once again getting too carried away with throwing in historical references / appearances that are either unnecessary or downright silly.
                (Did we really need to have an issue where they had Jesse Owens try to be the "new" Lone Ranger?)

Comment

Well, after buying and reading the fifth and final issue, overall I felt it was pretty lackluster, both art-wise and writing-wise. Was mostly disappointed with how this turned out.

Comment

Working...
                  X