Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Female pulp heros

G'day,

I'm hoping the knowledgeable readers here can help me. were there any pulp era heroines? The only one I can think of is Domino Lady. I'm thinking of actual pulp magazines here not comics.

That's the one. I assume you're talking about "masked mystery woman" type characters. Domino Lady, who originally appeared in only five short stories in SAUCY ROMANTIC ADVENTURES and MYSTERY ADVENTURE MAGAZINE is the only one.

There were certainly other female protagonists in the pulps, whether important supporting characters like Doc Savage's cousin Pat Savage, Justice Inc.'s Nellie Gray, and The Shadow's agents Margo Lane and Myra Reldon (a.k.a. Ming Dwan), or ones that starred in their own series of short stories, like Carrie Cashin, who appeared in Street & Smith's CRIME BUSTERS. If you include fantasy and science fiction pulps, the list expands dramatically with characters like Helene (mate of Ki-Gor in Fiction House's JUNGLE STORIES pulp), The Golden Amazon by John Russell Fearn in AMAZING STORIES, or C.L. Moore's Jirel of Joiry from WEIRD TALES. Even westerns had costumed female characters like Senorita Scorpion in ACTION STORIES.
    Last edited by pulphero; 05-22-2016, 03:01 AM.

Comment

G'day,

Yeah I'm reading the Domino Lady stories now. They are available as an e-book from Radioarchives.com . There weren't too many heroines that could lead stories but she was one. I don't know what the copyright is on her but would love to see Dynamite team her up with Pat Savage and Margo Lane.

I never heard of Carrie Cashin until know but as she is a Street Z& Smith character I would be good to see her pop up in one of DE S&S characters books.

Ralph

Originally posted by pulphero View Post
      That's the one. I assume you're talking about "masked mystery woman" type characters. Domino Lady, who originally appeared in only five short stories in SAUCY ROMANTIC ADVENTURES and MYSTERY ADVENTURE MAGAZINE is the only one.

There were certainly other female protagonists in the pulps, whether important supporting characters like Doc Savage's cousin Pat Savage, Justice Inc.'s Nellie Gray, and The Shadow's agents Margo Lane and Myra Reldon (a.k.a. Ming Dwan), or ones that starred in their own series of short stories, like Carrie Cashin, who appeared in Street & Smith's CRIME BUSTERS. If you include fantasy and science fiction pulps, the list expands dramatically with characters like Helene (mate of Ki-Gor in Fiction House's JUNGLE TALES pulp), The Golden Amazon by John Russell Fearn in AMAZING STORIES, or C.L. Moore's Jirel of Joiry from WEIRD TALES. Even westerns had costumed female characters like Senorita Scorpion in ACTION STORIES.

Comment

The Golden Amazon sounds cool. Sort of Doc Savage and Wonder Woman all in one package. Has anyone put out reprints of her stories? I have found a couple of collections but they were pricey and out of print.

Comment

Originally posted by ralphuniverse View Post
          G'day,
          I don't know what the copyright is on her but would love to see Dynamite team her up with Pat Savage and Margo Lane.
          DL author "Lars Anderson" is a complete unknown and probably a pseudonym. Copyrights have long since expired, and were never passed on to successor publishers. Domino Lady appeared in two miniseries from Eros Comix (Fantagraphics) in the early 1990s, and has been published by Moonstone Books since 2009 in both prose and comics form, most recently in a Domino Lady/Sherlock Holmes TPB (reprint with some additional new material) which was released just last week. Besides the new prose fiction published by Moonstone, Domino Lady has also appeared in new stories published by Airship 27 and Bold Venture Press (who had previously released the first hardcover collection of her original pulp adventures - illustrated by Jim Steranko - in 2004).

It actually surprises me that Dynamite hasn't taken a shot at publishing the public domain Domino Lady, since they've already poached some of Moonstone's biggest former licensed characters such as The Spider and The Phantom (that's not including Moonstone's various collections of prose stories like The Avenger, Lone Ranger, Zorro, and Green Hornet). It seems like DE publisher Nick Barrucci and Moonstone publisher Joe Gentile have similar tastes.
          Last edited by pulphero; 05-22-2016, 03:41 AM.

Comment

I do wish Dynamite would do more with their take on the comic book character Miss Masque, a.k.a. Masquerade. I enjoyed her mini-series.

Comment

The Domino Lady

By the way, does anybody know if "Domino Lady" is a public domain character, or if not, who Moonstone licenses the character from?

I do wish Dynamite would try to either use some of the Golden Age pulp-like females (like Miss Masque/Masquerade and Miss Fury) in a limited series as they did with Miss Fury and Sparrow in Noir (but with a different writer this time).
              And if they aren't going to be doing any new Project Superpowers series any time in the foreseeable future, ladies like Lady Satan and the Woman in Red would be welcomed additions to any such story.

Comment

Originally posted by MajorHoy View Post
                By the way, does anybody know if "Domino Lady" is a public domain character, or if not, who Moonstone licenses the character from?

I do wish Dynamite would try to either use some of the Golden Age pulp-like females (like Miss Masque/Masquerade and Miss Fury) in a limited series as they did with Miss Fury and Sparrow in Noir (but with a different writer this time).
                And if they aren't going to be doing any new Project Superpowers series any time in the foreseeable future, ladies like Lady Satan and the Woman in Red would be welcomed additions to any such story.
                Apparently she is, so it's a little bit puzzling as to why Dynamite wouldn't have used her yet. I think she matches up well with a lot of other characters.

Comment

Originally posted by Captain Canuck View Post
                  Apparently she is, so it's a little bit puzzling as to why Dynamite wouldn't have used her yet. I think she matches up well with a lot of other characters.
                  The one thing I can think of is that maybe the pulp-type comics haven't been attracting enough of an audience for Dynamite, so they only try stuff with more of the better-known names (like Doc Savage and The Shadow).

Comment

Maybe there's a little abrasion between Nick Barrucci and Joe Gentile of Moonstone. After all, DE scooped up the Phantom license (the most lucrative franchise Moonstone ever had for comics), and then a little while after that, DE scooped the license to The Spider (which was the other big thing Moonstone had, largely replacing their revenue from losing The Phantom). So if Moonstone were to be outsold by a DE version of Domino Lady, that might just be the last straw for Moonstone (as far as comics go), since it's the biggest thing they have left. Of course, if the truth be known, it was actually Eros Comics (an imprint of Fantagraphics) that was the first to bring Domino Lady back in comics form, in the early 1990s.
                    Last edited by positronic; 01-13-2017, 08:07 AM.
                    DE pull list: Will Eisner's The Spirit: The Corpse Makers, ERB's The Greatest Adventure, Green Hornet '66 Meets The Spirit, PSP: Herokillers, KISS/Vampirella, Mighty Mouse

Comment

Why not a Dynamite verion of Phantom Lady?

I'd also be curious to see Dynamite "bring back" / come up with their own version of Phantom Lady based on the Fox Comics version of the character, since as far as I know she's technically in the public domain (though it might not be a bad idea to rename the Dynamite version to avoid any possible problems with DC Comics). I know AC Comics would reprint the old Fox stories years ago (don't know if they still do) and took their own version of the character and renamed her "Blue Bulleteer" for new stories (at least back when I use to read FemForce and such in the 1980s and 1990s).

Comment

G'day,

Well if they can't call her Phantom Lady can they call her Sandra Knight? I can't see how you can bring her back if you can't call her Phantom Lady.

Ralph

Originally posted by MajorHoy View Post
                        I'd also be curious to see Dynamite "bring back" / come up with their own version of Phantom Lady based on the Fox Comics version of the character, since as far as I know she's technically in the public domain (though it might not be a bad idea to rename the Dynamite version to avoid any possible problems with DC Comics). I know AC Comics would reprint the old Fox stories years ago (don't know if they still do) and took their own version of the character and renamed her "Blue Bulleteer" for new stories (at least back when I use to read FemForce and such in the 1980s and 1990s).

Comment

Originally posted by ralphuniverse View Post
                          G'day,

Well if they can't call her Phantom Lady can they call her Sandra Knight? I can't see how you can bring her back if you can't call her Phantom Lady.
                          Well, Dynamite already did a bunch of re-names for Golden Age characters with Project Superpowers, like calling the Golden Age Daredevil "Death-Defying Devil". I'm not sure if there would be any problem with using "Sandra Knight" as her identity (especially since it probably wouldn't be part of a comic book's title) but that could probably be tinkered with, too, if Dynamite wanted to avoid hassles. (AC Comics' version had her secret identity of "Laura Wright".)

Comment

Story behind the story: "technically", DC never purchased the rights to Phantom Lady (or any of the "Freedom Fighters") from Quality Comics. The titles that they actually purchased from Quality included Plastic Man, Blackhawk and G.I. Combat, the latter two of which continued uninterrupted by DC beginning in 1957, following the original QC numbering (while Plastic Man had to wait another 9 years before putting in an official DC-published appearance) ... but DC's legal department can badger a small publisher like Bill Black to cease and desist from using the name Phantom Lady, if not from reprinting the public domain stories. Disputes involving abandoned intellectual properties can mainly be waged by legal bullying, if your opponent is much smaller than you are.

AC's version of the Phantom Lady character now exists in two variations: Blue Bulleteer (Golden Age) and Nightveil (modern) versions. Nightveil is now ageless, so despite the different names in different eras they're actually the same character. Nightveil is a current member of FemForce. When they have occasion to tell stories set in the 1940s or 1950s, Blue Bulleteer is the name Laura Wright uses.
                            Last edited by positronic; 01-15-2017, 02:07 AM.
                            DE pull list: Will Eisner's The Spirit: The Corpse Makers, ERB's The Greatest Adventure, Green Hornet '66 Meets The Spirit, PSP: Herokillers, KISS/Vampirella, Mighty Mouse

Comment

Has anybody heard anything about whether or not Dynamite might have a new series with Miss Fury?

I really enjoyed the two they've already had, but I'm probably in the minority there.

Comment

Working...
                              X