The Shadow: The Death of Margo Lane

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The Shadow: The Death of Margo Lane

Seriously, one of the best series Dynamite has EVER published, and certainly the best Shadow series overall. Matt Wagner continues to be the apex of all writers in DE's pulp genre titles, going from ZORRO (and DJANGO/ZORRO) to GREEN HORNET YEAR ONE to THE SHADOW YEAR ONE, to GRENDEL VS. THE SHADOW (co-published by Dark Horse) to WILL EISNER'S THE SPIRIT to THE SHADOW: DEATH OF MARGO LANE. I'm surprised they haven't given Wagner a crack at The Lone Ranger yet (although overall I've been pretty happy with most of the LR comics DE has put out). Mark Waid did a pretty decent job on both The Green Hornet and The Avenger, and Michael Uslan on both, plus the Shadow, Doc Savage, and Lone Ranger. Still, Wagner tops them all for sheer pulpy mood, and fortunately thus far he just gets to write the classic versions of the characters without updating them to modern times. Though he's worked with some good artists on many of the DE titles, there's just nothing like when he gets to both write AND draw the story.

I'd say the only other creative team currently doing pulp-type characters at this level is John Arcudi & Tonci Zonjic over in Dark Horse's LOBSTER JOHNSON.

I've really enjoyed getting a little peek into Margo's thoughts via her journal entries in this series. For a character that's been a major part of the Shadow mythos for so many decades, she's really been given very little depth until quite recently.

Question: Does anyone think Margo Lane really died in that warehouse explosion (in issue #2)? I don't (assuming this series has no continuity with Howard Chaykin's work set later in time), but it gives us a chance to witness The Shadow's reaction and behavior if HE believes she did.
    Last edited by positronic; 08-01-2016, 05:51 AM.
    DE pull list: Will Eisner's The Spirit: The Corpse Makers, ERB's The Greatest Adventure, Green Hornet '66 Meets The Spirit, PSP: Herokillers, KISS/Vampirella, Mighty Mouse

Along with Shadow vs Grendel, I agree this is the best DE Shadow work so far. I have to mention Shadow\Twilight Zone #3 as being really great, too.

With all that said, I'm still hoping for Shadow Strikes collections.

Comment

Is there anything in the story to tell us when it takes place, a year, etc.?

Comment

Originally posted by ChastMastr View Post
        Is there anything in the story to tell us when it takes place, a year, etc.?
        Not that I noticed, and I'm sure I was looking. It still feels like the 1930s, in terms of the mood/atmosphere invoked in the story, with Chinatown gangs still active -- i.e. more "pulp" than "noir", the latter of which is what you'd expect if it were taking place at the end of the 1940s. Probably another reason to believe that the apparent death of Margo is not her final fate.
        DE pull list: Will Eisner's The Spirit: The Corpse Makers, ERB's The Greatest Adventure, Green Hornet '66 Meets The Spirit, PSP: Herokillers, KISS/Vampirella, Mighty Mouse

Comment

G'day,

Should have ordered the series. Anyway its a must for the trade.

Ralph

Originally posted by positronic View Post
          Seriously, one of the best series Dynamite has EVER published, and certainly the best Shadow series overall. Matt Wagner continues to be the apex of all writers in DE's pulp genre titles, going from ZORRO (and DJANGO/ZORRO) to GREEN HORNET YEAR ONE to THE SHADOW YEAR ONE, to GRENDEL VS. THE SHADOW (co-published by Dark Horse) to WILL EISNER'S THE SPIRIT to THE SHADOW: DEATH OF MARGO LANE. I'm surprised they haven't given Wagner a crack at The Lone Ranger yet (although overall I've been pretty happy with most of the LR comics DE has put out). Mark Waid did a pretty decent job on both The Green Hornet and The Avenger, and Michael Uslan on both, plus the Shadow, Doc Savage, and Lone Ranger. Still, Wagner tops them all for sheer pulpy mood, and fortunately thus far he just gets to write the classic versions of the characters without updating them to modern times. Though he's worked with some good artists on many of the DE titles, there's just nothing like when he gets to both write AND draw the story.

I'd say the only other creative team currently doing pulp-type characters at this level is John Arcudi & Tonci Zonjic over in Dark Horse's LOBSTER JOHNSON.

I've really enjoyed getting a little peek into Margo's thoughts via her journal entries in this series. For a character that's been a major part of the Shadow mythos for so many decades, she's really been given very little depth until quite recently.

Question: Does anyone think Margo Lane really died in that warehouse explosion (in issue #2)? I don't (assuming this series has no continuity with Howard Chaykin's work set later in time), but it gives us a chance to witness The Shadow's reaction and behavior if HE believes she did.

Comment

Originally posted by ralphuniverse View Post
            G'day,

Should have ordered the series. Anyway its a must for the trade.
            Hardcover collected edition was released back in late 2016; the trade paperback came out in December 2017.

Comment

Working...
            X