Article on THE SHADOW in comic in BACK ISSUE #89

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Article on THE SHADOW in comic in BACK ISSUE #89

BACK ISSUE #89 (published by the fine folks at TwoMorrows) has a 20-page retrospective on The Shadow in comics. Because it's a magazine devoted to Bronze Age (70s-80s) era comics, The Shadow comics from the 1940s, 1960s, and 2000s are merely noted in passing, although it does give a comprehensive accounting of Shadow comics from DC in the 1970s through Dark Horse in the 1990s. A couple of interesting notes here. Denny O'Neil comments in the article that he'd love to see a complete reprint of the 12 issues of The Shadow that he edited for DC in the 1970s, and Michael Uslan states that he'd love to see a complete reprinting of THE SHADOW STRIKES!, the late-1980s series written by Gerard Jones. At the conclusion of the article, it's also mentioned that Anthony Tollin (who's currently reprinting the complete run of Shadow pulp novels through his company, Sanctum Books) is also working on compiling a complete reprint of the 2-year run of The Shadow newspaper strip written by Walter Gibson and drawn by Vernon Green, sourced from the original syndicate proofs.

Other pulp-related articles in this issue are a retrospective of the KORAK, SON OF TARZAN comics, and an article on Marvel's WORLDS UNKNOWN comic book, the first 6 issues of which adapted many classic pulp SF stories.

I'd also love to see a complete collection of the '70's series. I know Kaluta is the draw, but I also like Robbins artwork, and would love to see that whole series in one volume (preferably HC). And the Shadow Strikes being collected is long, long overdue.

Comment

They could reprint the Dark Horse stuff as well. Only 15 issues, so that would presumably fit in one hardcover or two trade paperbacks.
      DE pull list: Will Eisner's The Spirit: The Corpse Makers, ERB's The Greatest Adventure, Green Hornet '66 Meets The Spirit, PSP: Herokillers, KISS/Vampirella, Mighty Mouse

Comment

Working...
      X