Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

" The Green Hornet is Coming Back to Theaters With a Realistic, Contemporary Spin"

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• " The Green Hornet is Coming Back to Theaters With a Realistic, Contemporary Spin"

Obviously VERY early, but something to keep an ear to the ground for.

http://io9.gizmodo.com/the-green-hor...eal-1789008188

After spending years pursuing the rights to the franchise, director Gavin O’Connor will team with Paramount to make a reimagining of The Green Hornet.

“As a kid, when most of my friends were into Superman and Batman, there was only one superhero who held my interest: The Green Hornet,” O’Connor told Deadline. “I always thought he was the baddest badass because he had no superpowers. The Green Hornet was a human superhero.”

To that end, the director plans on taking the characters, which have usually been adapted with an eye on camp (like on TV) or traditional comedy (like in the 2011 Seth Rogen movie), and giving them a more serious, modern take.

“My intention is to bring a gravitas to The Green Hornet that wipes away the camp and kitsch of the previous iteration,” O’Connor said. “I want to re-mythologize The Green Hornet in a contemporary context, with an emphasis on story and character, while at the same time, incorporating themes that speak to my heart.”

O’Connor, who recently directed The Accountant but also did the underrated Pride & Glory and Warrior, will work closely with video game writer Sean O’Keefe on the screenplay—and Paramount, of course, hopes this is the start of a new franchise.

“I think of this film as Batman upside down meets Bourne inside out by way of Chris Kyle,” O’Connor said. “He’s the anti-Bruce Wayne. His struggle: Is he a savior or a destroyer? Britt made money doing bad things, but moving forward he’s making no money doing good things. He must realize his destiny as a protector and force of justice by becoming the last thing he thought he’d ever become: his father’s son. Which makes him a modern Hamlet. By uncovering his past, and the truth of his father, Britt unlocks the future.”

There’s no immediate timeline for the film.

I am very happy about this news.

Comment

Originally posted by Green Lantern View Post
      I am very happy about this news.
      Me too. There are already people grumbling that it should take place I 30s otherwise it's not the "real" Hornet and all that stuff, but I want to keep an open mind. Just make a quality movie and see the doors that it might open in terms of flashbacks, etc.

Comment

i'd prefer a 30s version. but hey, a totally serious and non campy version of the Hornet? sign me up!

Comment

Originally posted by Son of Tarzan View Post
          i'd prefer a 30s version. but hey, a totally serious and non campy version of the Hornet? sign me up!
          I think they can walk a certain line. Gotham, for whatever other flaws it might have, I find does a good job of making the exact time frame unclear. It doesn't look fully completely current-day in that there are no electronic billboards or modern looking architecture yet the characters don't dress like they belong in a specific past time period, either.

If they did something similar with the Hornet, without making specific reference to the year, I'd be perfectly happy with that.

Comment

30's or 60's over a modern version. But mostly a serious version. Not totally dark but only light touches of humor, please. If they do a series of movies ala Iron Man etc. I'd love to see a generational type thing like Ron Fortier did for Now comics.
            Always remember, Murphy was an optimist
            Munchkin 1, 2, 4, 7 Super Munchkin 1&2, Munchkin Bites 1&2, Munchkin Fu, Star Munchkin Deluxe and Star 2
            http://ghornet.deviantart.com/

Comment

I'm one of those people who is very skeptical. I tend to think that the worst sin Hollywood can make when adapting something is to "make it modern". It's bad enough when they do it to things like King Kong or the Mummy because we have versions of those set in the correct time period that still hold up but with GH we don't have a 1930s set film to fall back to.

I have also heard rumors that both Zorro and the Rocketeer are going to be set in more contemporary time periods and that is really disappointing.

Comment

Originally posted by Ghornet2 View Post
                30's or 60's over a modern version. But mostly a serious version..
                I've only seen one episode, but if it looked a little something like Boardwalk Empire...

Comment

Working...
                X