Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

The Shadow / Batman

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • The Shadow / Batman

    DC hasn't yet to release all their April solicitations and that I know of, Dynamite hasn't released any, but apparently we can expect the following, according to Bleeding Cool, who very badly wants you to know they were the first to report it.

    BATMAN/SHADOW #1 (1 of 6)

    Written by STEVE ORLANDO & SCOTT SNYDER
    Art and cover by RILEY ROSSMO

    Two of history’s greatest vigilantes are reunited at last! Murder has come to Gotham City, and Lamont Cranston appears to be the culprit…but he’s been dead for over fifty years! Batman will go to the ends of the Earth to unravel the mystery of Cranston’s life, but the mysterious Shadow will do everything in his power to stop him from learning too much…

    The superstar team of writers Scott Snyder and Steve Orlando and artist Riley Rossmo brings you a dark and twisty modern noir like nothing you’ve seen before, with a brand-new villain unlike any either hero has faced! This is the unmissable crime series of 2017, so get on board now! Co-published with Dynamite.

    12+ Available on April 26 2017 32 pg $3.99

  • #2
    Hopefully they'll manage to reprint those two DC Batman/Shadow stories from the 1970s as bonus material in the back of the trade collection. I'm not familiar with Riley Rossmo's art, and I would have hoped that Scott Snyder would NOT be involved, but I'll keep my fingers crossed and hope that it's not a total train wreck. I note that they appear to be ignoring the whole Chaykin continuity, and THE SHADOW NOW, as well, but I can't say that's a shock.
    DE pull list: Will Eisner's The Spirit: The Corpse Makers, ERB's The Greatest Adventure, Green Hornet '66 Meets The Spirit, PSP: Herokillers, KISS/Vampirella, Mighty Mouse

    Comment


    • #3
      Originally posted by positronic View Post
      Hopefully they'll manage to reprint those two DC Batman/Shadow stories from the 1970s as bonus material in the back of the trade collection. I'm not familiar with Riley Rossmo's art, and I would have hoped that Scott Snyder would NOT be involved, but I'll keep my fingers crossed and hope that it's not a total train wreck.
      Snyder can be annoying, but I'm even more concerned by the inclusion of Steve Orlando (since I really have been disappointed with his handling of Supergirl under Rebirth).

      Comment


      • #4
        I don't know, but I think the description "dark and twisty modern noir" is making me concerned as much or more than the credits.

        Comment


        • #5
          More of this to come, I guess!

          Batman and The Shadow, two of comics’ most iconic characters, will again join forces this October as Dynamite Entertainment, DC Entertainment, and Conde Nast partner for a brand new, six-issue crossover event that will unite history’s most well-known vigilantes. Writer Steve Orlando (Batman/The Shadow, Justice League of America) and artist Giovanni Timpano (The Shadow, Transformers) will team to tell a tale of noir, mortality and generational heroes and villains, set to hit stores October 4th!

          The World’s Greatest Mystery. The World’s Greatest Detective. They can barely stand each other, so how will they possibly deal with the World’s Greatest Evil? What legacy can two of the world’s most enduring icons of justice leave once they discover an ancient evil has been living inside the world they protect for centuries, attached to its heart. Can Batman and the Shadow save the world without killing it in the process?

          Comment


          • #6
            Originally posted by Captain Canuck View Post
            More of this to come, I guess!
            Here's the main (I guess) cover...

            https://www.previewsworld.com/news_i..._1118474_6.jpg
            DE pull list: Will Eisner's The Spirit: The Corpse Makers, ERB's The Greatest Adventure, Green Hornet '66 Meets The Spirit, PSP: Herokillers, KISS/Vampirella, Mighty Mouse

            Comment


            • #7
              Y'know, it really seems unfair that for the Dynamite version of the team-up they're also having Steve Orlando writing it.

              After the mediocre mess that the DC version has been, I really may need to think twice about buying the Dynamite version too.
              (Maybe I'd be better off trade-waiting it if I do.)

              Comment


              • #8
                Originally posted by MajorHoy View Post
                Y'know, it really seems unfair that for the Dynamite version of the team-up they're also having Steve Orlando writing it.

                After the mediocre mess that the DC version has been, I really may need to think twice about buying the Dynamite version too.
                (Maybe I'd be better off trade-waiting it if I do.)
                I haven't liked DC's Batman/Shadow crossover, but I know I don't like Scott Snyder's Batman. I have no opinion one way or the other on Steve Orlando because I haven't read enough of his writing to form an opinion, so it's just easier for me to attribute my dislike of the DC crossover to Snyder's plot. I don't know what else Steve Orlando has written.
                DE pull list: Will Eisner's The Spirit: The Corpse Makers, ERB's The Greatest Adventure, Green Hornet '66 Meets The Spirit, PSP: Herokillers, KISS/Vampirella, Mighty Mouse

                Comment


                • #9
                  My idea of a Dynamite Shadow/Batman crossover would involve them going up against Benedict Stark, Prof. Hugo Strange, and a Nazi Bund in 1940, and be written & drawn by Matt Wagner. Or at least be written by Michael Uslan and drawn by one of the better DE artists like Aaron Campbell.
                  DE pull list: Will Eisner's The Spirit: The Corpse Makers, ERB's The Greatest Adventure, Green Hornet '66 Meets The Spirit, PSP: Herokillers, KISS/Vampirella, Mighty Mouse

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Originally posted by positronic View Post
                    My idea of a Dynamite Shadow/Batman crossover would involve them going up against Benedict Stark, Prof. Hugo Strange, and a Nazi Bund in 1940, and be written & drawn by Matt Wagner.
                    That sounds good to me . . . or bring back the Monk and Dala from Detective Comics #31-32 (1939).

                    Originally posted by positronic View Post
                    Or at least be written by Michael Uslan . . .
                    I would be more likely to pass on that.
                    Uslan's last two efforts for Dynamite (Justice Inc. and The Lone Ranger / Green Hornet) didn't really work for me.
                    He tried to insert too much history / esoteric minutia at the expense of the on-going story's plot development.

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      Originally posted by positronic View Post
                      My idea of a Dynamite Shadow/Batman crossover would involve them going up against Benedict Stark, Prof. Hugo Strange, and a Nazi Bund in 1940, and be written & drawn by Matt Wagner. Or at least be written by Michael Uslan and drawn by one of the better DE artists like Aaron Campbell.
                      I don't buy a lot of Shadow stuff, and I don't buy a lot of Batman stuff, but I would buy the hell out of that.

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        Originally posted by MajorHoy View Post
                        I would be more likely to pass on that.
                        Uslan's last two efforts for Dynamite (Justice Inc. and The Lone Ranger / Green Hornet) didn't really work for me.
                        He tried to insert too much history / esoteric minutia at the expense of the on-going story's plot development.
                        He did Dark Nights too, eh? I enjoyed the historical detail though I can see how it could be considered distracting, especially when it's randomly thrown in.

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          Originally posted by Captain Canuck View Post
                          He did Dark Nights too, eh? I enjoyed the historical detail though I can see how it could be considered distracting, especially when it's randomly thrown in.
                          Dark Nights I liked.
                          But in Justice Inc. and especially LR/GH, all that historical information insertion seemed to get in the way of the actual story he was suppose to be telling.

                          Comment


                          • #14
                            Well, issue #5 of Dynamite's The Shadow / Batman six-issue series came out this week, and the last issue (#6) is due out on March 7th.

                            Is anybody buying this run? If so, how is it?

                            Comment

                            Working...
                            X