The Greatest Adventure

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The Greatest Adventure

I have yet to read the second issue, but I read the first this morning and enjoyed the set up quite a bit. I'm not particularly familiar with the ERB stable of characters but it seems Willingham is. Anyone else getting this book?

Me. I have read both issues, the second one is better . It explains one of the mysteries that bothered me in the first one, Why weren't the Martians left immobile by Earth's gravity? The art was OK but we are dealing with a bunch of white people and everyone looked the same. Was a bit hard to tell them apart. However I'm enjoying it and will continue with the series

ta

Ralph

Comment

The first one was great, one of the best original stories based on ERB characters that DE has done. I should have #2 next week. There's a few minor ERB characters in the story that are just obscure enough that I'm not too familiar with them, but that's okay, it gives things a little variety beyond the expected more popular ERB character appearances.

Sure all the characters are white, because those are the people ERB was writing about (and for) in his stories. It would feel wrong to update that for reasons of social justice or political correctness, even if today's audience is a different one than ERB wrote for.
      DE pull list: Will Eisner's The Spirit: The Corpse Makers, ERB's The Greatest Adventure, Green Hornet '66 Meets The Spirit, PSP: Herokillers, KISS/Vampirella, Mighty Mouse

Comment

G'day,

I can assure you I would be the last person to suggest any SJW nonsense . I sure don't want any of the characters to be race swapped. I just think it made it a bit harder for the artist to make them look different thats all.

ta

Ralph

Originally posted by positronic View Post
        The first one was great, one of the best original stories based on ERB characters that DE has done. I should have #2 next week. There's a few minor ERB characters in the story that are just obscure enough that I'm not too familiar with them, but that's okay, it gives things a little variety beyond the expected more popular ERB character appearances.

Sure all the characters are white, because those are the people ERB was writing about (and for) in his stories. It would feel wrong to update that for reasons of social justice or political correctness, even if today's audience is a different one than ERB wrote for.

Comment

Originally posted by ralphuniverse View Post
          G'day,

I can assure you I would be the last person to suggest any SJW nonsense . I sure don't want any of the characters to be race swapped. I just think it made it a bit harder for the artist to make them look different thats all.

ta

Ralph
          I know what you mean, I remember having the same issue with the Kato Year One mini. But I would rather have that "problem" than shoe-horned token "diversity".

Glad to read that others are enjoying it.

Comment

Originally posted by Captain Canuck View Post
            I know what you mean, I remember having the same issue with the Kato Year One mini. But I would rather have that "problem" than shoe-horned token "diversity".

Glad to read that others are enjoying it.
            I don't blame the artist for the fact that it's hard to tell who all the characters are. I blame the fact that there are a whole bunch of ERB's more obscure characters, who are appearing in comics form for the very first time anywhere, so it's no wonder they don't seem familar at all. From what I can see, the artist did his best to costume the characters all differently, except in certain cases like Tarzan and Korak. It is what it is. Good thing they give you an illustrated role call of the characters at the beginning of issue #2, because it really was needed.

BTW, there was at least one black character in issue #2, an un-named (so far, anyway) member of the so-called First-Born race of Barsoom. He's working for the villain.
            DE pull list: Will Eisner's The Spirit: The Corpse Makers, ERB's The Greatest Adventure, Green Hornet '66 Meets The Spirit, PSP: Herokillers, KISS/Vampirella, Mighty Mouse

Comment

I just read the first two issues and really enjoyed them. I have been reading through a lot of Edgar Rice Burroughs' novels and have been psyched about this series since it was announced. I know where most of the characters this far are from, except for the villains. I think they come from "Beyond the Farthest Star," but I have not yet read that one to be sure. Which leaves me with a question about the character shooting dinosaurs with the black Martians - is it John Carter, who should be on the same side as Ulysses Paxton, or is it Tangor from "Beyond the Farthest Star?" I've seen it reported as John Carter, but unless the villains are holding Dejah Thoris prisoner somewhere, I don't think that is correct. Other than that I've thoroughly enjoyed the series. The battle with the Wieroo (the flying men of Caspak) was worthy of Burroughs, as was Tarzan hunting dinosaurs. I look forward to the rest of the series.
              DECODER RING THEATRE
              EDGAR RICE BURROUGHS
              PROJECT SUPERPOWERS DATABASE
              PUBLIC DOMAIN SUPER HEROES

Comment

Not 100% sure on this, but I believe the villain in the story is Willingham's original creation. Was it stated somewhere how many issues the story is intended to run? I would guess five or six, but it might be as many as eight.

Comment

Not 100% sure on this, but I believe the villain in the story is Willingham's original creation. Was it stated somewhere how many issues the story is intended to run? I would guess five or six, but it might be as many as eight.
                  I can't seem to get a specific number on that, but the solicitation to #5 certainly didn't sound final.

Comment

In an interview at CBR, Willingham seems to indicate he has some freedom in that regard. He says he's trying for 7 issues, but it may be 8 or 9. He also says he could write a dozen issues for each character if given the chance.

http://www.cbr.com/interview-bill-wi...est-adventure/
                    DECODER RING THEATRE
                    EDGAR RICE BURROUGHS

Comment

Originally posted by MadMikeyD View Post
                      In an interview at CBR, Willingham seems to indicate he has some freedom in that regard. He says he's trying for 7 issues, but it may be 8 or 9. He also says he could write a dozen issues for each character if given the chance.

Sounds like something Dynamite would do. I recall certain books had a writer signed up for a year to start and they'd decide from there. Green Hornet continued as Legacy, The Black Bat did not, as examples.

I guess that's why they're reluctant to label anything as ongoing or mini upon its announcement.

Comment

Reading the solicitations for the next few issues, I am really looking forward to the upcoming journeys to Pellucidar and Barsoom. I am currently into ERB's "crossover novels" in my Burroughs reading and am enjoying the heck out of them. Some novels are better than others, of course, but all of the ones I have read so far have been at least good, many of them I thought were great.
                        DECODER RING THEATRE
                        EDGAR RICE BURROUGHS

Comment

I'd be very satisfied to see even 12 issues of THE GREATEST ADVENTURE, if only sales would allow it. There are certainly more than enough characters to fill all those panels, even if they crammed in more than 6 panels per page. Here's hoping!

Comment

Reading the solicitations for the next few issues, I am really looking forward to the upcoming journeys to Pellucidar and Barsoom. I am currently into ERB's "crossover novels" in my Burroughs reading and am enjoying the heck out of them. Some novels are better than others, of course, but all of the ones I have read so far have been at least good, many of them I thought were great.
                            It's too bad he didn't actually write more full-blown crossover novels of the TARZAN AT THE EARTH'S CORE type. The rest of the "crossovers" are cameos at best, not counting Korak's appearances. It was Gold Key's idea to give Korak a spinoff series of his own, but ERB never lived to see it.

Comment

If they're looking for ideas for what to do next with the ERB characters, I'd love to see a crossover with the King adventure heroes. Tarzan, Korak, and Jane meet The Phantom and Jungle Jim; John Carter, Carson Napier, and Flash Gordon team up to thwart a Mongo invasion of Barsoom and Amtor; Mandrake and Lothar meet David Innes at the Earth's Core; Norman, the Outlaw of Torn solves an 800 year-old mystery involving the legendary Prince Valiant.

Comment

Working...
                              X