The Greatest Adventure

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by MadMikeyD View Post
    I just read the first two issues and really enjoyed them. I have been reading through a lot of Edgar Rice Burroughs' novels and have been psyched about this series since it was announced. I know where most of the characters this far are from, except for the villains. I think they come from "Beyond the Farthest Star," but I have not yet read that one to be sure. Which leaves me with a question about the character shooting dinosaurs with the black Martians - is it John Carter, who should be on the same side as Ulysses Paxton, or is it Tangor from "Beyond the Farthest Star?" I've seen it reported as John Carter, but unless the villains are holding Dejah Thoris prisoner somewhere, I don't think that is correct. Other than that I've thoroughly enjoyed the series. The battle with the Wieroo (the flying men of Caspak) was worthy of Burroughs, as was Tarzan hunting dinosaurs. I look forward to the rest of the series.
    Mystery solved. The preview for issue #3 reveals it is Tarzan look-alike actor Esteban Miranda, and his female counterpart is none other than La of Opar.
    DECODER RING THEATRE
    EDGAR RICE BURROUGHS
    PROJECT SUPERPOWERS DATABASE
    PUBLIC DOMAIN SUPER HEROES

Comment

Originally posted by positronic View Post
      If they're looking for ideas for what to do next with the ERB characters, I'd love to see a crossover with the King adventure heroes. Tarzan, Korak, and Jane meet The Phantom and Jungle Jim; John Carter, Carson Napier, and Flash Gordon team up to thwart a Mongo invasion of Barsoom and Amtor; Mandrake and Lothar meet David Innes at the Earth's Core; Norman, the Outlaw of Torn solves an 800 year-old mystery involving the legendary Prince Valiant.
      Sold. Make it happen, NickyB.

Comment

On the subject of how long the series is going to run, based on Willingham's Facebook posts, he's currently at least as far as #8. He's been posting snippets of dialogue and says tomorrow he will post a bit from #8.
        DECODER RING THEATRE
        EDGAR RICE BURROUGHS

Comment

Originally posted by MadMikeyD View Post
          On the subject of how long the series is going to run, based on Willingham's Facebook posts, he's currently at least as far as #8. He's been posting snippets of dialogue and says tomorrow he will post a bit from #8.
          Willingham has now posted dialogue from issue #9, which he says is the last issue. So there you have it, there will be 9 issues of "The Great Adventure."
          DECODER RING THEATRE
          EDGAR RICE BURROUGHS

Comment

Anything that runs 8 issues or more is relatively good for a DE title in the current market, so that makes TGA one of their more successful titles.

Comment

Finally got to read issue 3. Interesting that the son of Nikolas Rokoff is the lead villain. I like the use of Esteban Miranda. The meeting between La and Jane played well, I think. I'm looking forward to issue 4 and Pellucidar. Also, I need to read more ERB to get the backstories for more of these characters. They function fine within the story, it's just my own curiosity.
              DECODER RING THEATRE
              EDGAR RICE BURROUGHS

Comment

Working...
              X