• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Zorro comics MEGATHREAD!

Here's some totally awesome news!

ZORRO MAKES HIS MARK WITH DYNAMITE ENTERTAINMENT
    Dynamite Entertainment to Produce Zorro Comic Book Series

March 21, 2007 Runnemede, NJ - Zorro Productions, Inc. and Dynamite Entertainment are proud to announce the signing of an agreement that will allow for Dynamite to create a new comic book series featuring Zorro! The new Dynamite series will feature not only the masked hero, but also the incredible cast of characters from the venerable Zorro franchise, including fan favorite Lady Rawhide. The agreement allows for Dynamite to also produce a separate Lady Rawhide comic book series.

Created by pulp writer Johnston McCulley, Zorro made his appearance in The Curse of Capistrano, serialized in the pulp magazine All-Story Weekly in 1919. Zorro is a master swordsman who cleverly uses sword, whip and acrobatic skills to defend oppressed people living in the Spanish-era California of the early 1800's. After Zorro's first heroic adventure he became a regular feature in numerous pulp fiction magazines including West and Argosy. His immediate popularity led to Zorro's transition to the silver screen, starring in the the silent film The Mark of Zorro (1920) starring Douglas Fairbanks. Since then, Zorro has been the featured in numerous feature films, television programs, comic books, novels and more. Most recently Zorro has been portrayed by Sir Anthony Hopkins and Antonio Banderas in The Mask of Zorro (1998) and the sequel The Legend of Zorro (2005), with Antonio Banderas.

Dynamite stated, "To have the opportunity to add another powerful, iconic character to our line up is an absolute honor. Taking into consideration the awesome response we've received from our revival of other existing characters and creating high profile comics fans enjoy, this is definitely exciting news. We're speaking with creative teams now, and will make announcements in the near future. Zorro is noted is as one of the earliest ancestors of the modern masked marvels in comics and movies today, and we're certain fans are truly going to enjoy delving into the adventures of one the very first super heroes."

"We're delighted to be partnering with Dynamite for a new Zorro comic series," noted John Gertz, President of Zorro Productions. "Throughout the life of the character, there has been a continual interplay between the printed page and the iconic image of the character. The comic book renditions of Zorro have been an arena for exploration, imagination, and the development of unique storylines and characters. We look forward to that tradition continuing in Dynamites creative hands."

The agreement also allows Dynamite to create fine art and posters, collections of existing material, statues, and other high end collectibles. Details on the creative team and scheduling for the series will be released in the coming weeks.

Zorro® and associated character names, images and other indicia are trademarks of and copyrighted by Zorro Productions, Inc. All rights reserved...
    I do! Please, Dynamite, try to find some way to complete the collection!
    66.67%
    I don't! Forget the old, concentrate just on the new!
    0.00%
    I don't care either way.
    33.33%

Zorro

Congratulations on Zorro,

I've been waiting a long time for this.

http://forum.newsarama.com/showthread.php?t=105921

Comment

Zorro

I've posted this once,

Great News!

Comment

Two questions -

1. Will we finally get a Lone Ranger/Zorro crossover (time-difference be damned!)?

2. When is this series expected to start? Late 2007? 2008? I need to add it to my pull-list!

This is the best news I've heard since I found out about DE's Lone Ranger series !
        DECODER RING THEATRE
        EDGAR RICE BURROUGHS
        PROJECT SUPERPOWERS DATABASE
        PUBLIC DOMAIN SUPER HEROES

Comment

I LOVED the papercutz version, I hope that this version will be just as good

Comment

I never got a chance to see/get the papercutz version, it was canceled after like 3 issues?

Comment

I never read the Papercutz stuff either, but I believe they had three complete story-arcs and then compiled them into three trades. I could be wrong, though. I always wanted to read the Topps series. I heard alot better things about that one than Topps' Lone Ranger. Maybe I'll have to look on eBay while I wait for DE's series.
              DECODER RING THEATRE
              EDGAR RICE BURROUGHS
              PROJECT SUPERPOWERS DATABASE
              PUBLIC DOMAIN SUPER HEROES

Comment

Papercutz only problem was the manga type art. Yes they did do trades.

But I loved it, it was fun, it was imaginative, and it was Zorro

I do not want Zorro to be too dark. He needs to have a balance of FUN in his diet.

Oh and Reid could team up with Antonio's Zorro's son!

Antonion Bendaras' zorro was around in 1850 (second movie was 1850).

In 20 years his 8 year old or so son would easily be someone who could hook up with The Lone Ranger of 1870.
                Last edited by Kevin; 03-21-2007, 10:34 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Kevin
                  Antonion Bendaras' zorro was around in 1850 (second movie was 1850).

In 20 years his 8 year old or so son would easily be someone who could hook up with The Lone Ranger of 1870.

Would this be a comic, or an episode of NBC's "To catch a Predator"?

Comment

Originally posted by Goofball814
                    Would this be a comic, or an episode of NBC's "To catch a Predator"?
                    in 20 years his 8 year old son = a 28 year old son of zorro who's since become zorro.

Comment

Definately looking forward to it. Have some of the Lady Rawhide issues- love 'em! The Red Sonja of her Day. Zorro has always been a fav of Mine.
                      Bring 'em on!
                      When?

Comment

Originally posted by mdbruffy
                        Definately looking forward to it. Have some of the Lady Rawhide issues- love 'em! The Red Sonja of her Day. Zorro has always been a fav of Mine.
                        Bring 'em on!
                        When?
                        I think it will be this fall.

Comment

Originally posted by Lone Ranger
                          I think it will be this fall.
                          ooo
                          just in time for the new Zorro game to come out on the Wii

Comment

This is great news. How about Phil Noto on the art? He's doing fine work on Jonah Hex at DC.

Comment

Zorro comic question

I realise that there isn't a Zorro comic from Dynamite Entertainment yet, so this is a question about the Papercutz one.

How many issues where there?
                              I have issues 1-3 but never did get the rest. With news that Zorro will soon be back I want to pick up the issues I'm missing.

From what I can gather from their webpage, Zorro Graphic Novel #1 collected issues 1-3 and Graphic Novel #2 collected issues 3-6. But was there more, because I see there was a ghaphic novel #3. Did that ever come out? Did it just collect unreleased issues?

Thanks for your help.

MikeM

Comment

Working...
                              X