Zorro comics MEGATHREAD!

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Two guesses who I'd like to see?

I think the great nephew of the Lone Ranger would be a great fit at Dynamite.

That's right the young boy in the LR comic grows up to be the father of the Green Hornet.

I really enjoyed the Now Comics series and the way they set it up as a generational think by building on the existing but unmentioned connectioned to the Lone Ranger
    Always remember, Murphy was an optimist
    Munchkin 1, 2, 4, 7 Super Munchkin 1&2, Munchkin Bites 1&2, Munchkin Fu, Star Munchkin Deluxe and Star 2
    http://ghornet.deviantart.com/

Comment

• Black Whip aka Linda Stirling

The only connection that Zorro's Black Whip had with Zorro was the title. Linda Stirling played a character called the Black Whip. She was a veteran of many serials and pretty good considering the material she had to work with.
      Always remember, Murphy was an optimist
      Munchkin 1, 2, 4, 7 Super Munchkin 1&2, Munchkin Bites 1&2, Munchkin Fu, Star Munchkin Deluxe and Star 2
      http://ghornet.deviantart.com/

Comment

• Originally posted by Guicho
        It appears Paul Renaud could be working on Zorro although I’m not sure in what capacity?

OK, That's It, Not an other RENAUD

Comment

• Originally posted by Guicho
          It appears Paul Renaud could be working on Zorro although I’m not sure in what capacity?

On his forum Renaud posted this sketch.

Not bad!
          AMEN TO THAT

Comment

• Anyone Got Pics of the Cassaday Cover?

It will help me decide which cover to get...

THANKS!

Comment

• http://www.dynamiteentertainment.com...o1Cassaday.jpg

the weakest of the 3 covers if you ask me... but that is the good thing about multiple covers.

Comment

• Just looking for clarification, is the entire series 8 issues or just Wagner's part of it and then it would continue with someone else at the helm?

Comment

• I believe Zorro is intended as an ongoing, with an 8-issue opening arc by Wagner. Whether or not Wagner is intended to stay on beyond that, I don't know.
                  DECODER RING THEATRE
                  EDGAR RICE BURROUGHS
                  PROJECT SUPERPOWERS DATABASE
                  PUBLIC DOMAIN SUPER HEROES

Comment

• Zorro #1 Five Page Preview!

From CBR- http://www.comicbookresources.com/ne...m.cgi?id=13028

Looks interesting so far, not sure which cover I want to get they are all great! I'm mostly torn between Wagner's whose kind of the creative impulse behind the whole thing, but the blue eyed Zorro ain't working for me. I love the in your face Mayhew Cover, at least he gave him brown eyes.
                    What really kills me on all of them is Zorro without a mustache, I can barely stand to look at him, it's like seeing a fox without a tail.
                    But Wagner assures there's some explanation for it.
                    Cassaday's cover is pretty fun but I'm already getting Lone Ranger so I'll give one of the new guy's a shot.

The interiors look great, it's always striking to see so much color on Francavilla's black and whites, but they've definitely captured the mood, the setup appeares reminiscent of the opening of the original Curse of Capistrano and the first Mark of Zorro, where the army discus the demon dressed in black.
                    Loved the first shots of Zorro's appearance, this is definitely a darker take on the character, I'm a little frightened for the soldiers.

The little flash back scene with the two boys sitting around the fire, I imagine that is a young Diego and his "brother" Bernardo visiting his mothers tribe, and that is Diego's Grandmother "White Owl ?" standing in the distance.
                    I can't tell who is narrating so far, Diego, Bernardo? I can't wait to see, read, believe more!
                    Last edited by Guicho; 02-20-2008, 02:44 AM.

Comment

• Zorro # 1

Damn that was good, I finally got my copy today, that preview had pages out of sequence?
                      Wagner dips heavily into Allende's novel but puts his own twist on everything making it all new, this is a dark violant world, but theres this playful and innocent sense of adventure coming through, part is Francavilla's beutifull art, and and of course that you're following the young Bernardo & Diego (down the rabit hole), to whom still anything seems possible almost fantastic.
                      He reveals the dual natures that will become Zorro, from his father (old world)honor from his mother (new world) justice, and from his spirit guide the cleverness he will need to become the fox.

Comment

• Zorro#1

Damn that was good, I finally got my copy today, that preview had pages out of sequence?
                        Wagner dips heavily into Allende's novel but puts his own twist on everything making it all new, this is a dark violant world, but theres this playful and innocent sense of adventure coming through, part is Francavilla's beutifull art, and of course that you're following the young Bernardo & Diego (down the rabit hole), to whom still anything seems possible almost fantastic.
                        He reveals the dual natures that will become Zorro, from his father (old world)honor from his mother (new world) justice, and from his spirit guide the cleverness he will need to become the fox.

Comment

• Here's the official word from Joe -

Originally posted by Joe Rybandt
                          Our opening arc, with Matt at the helm, is 8 issues, Matt has expressed interest in doing more, and we’d love to have him, but right now, the 8 issues are what we all have planned…

/joe

Tommy.
                          Aussie Aussie Aussie! Oi Oi Oi!

Comment

• Yes, the previews make me very hopeful for this comic.

I do want to see a moustache on zorro soon. A stately moustache of refinement is considered a status symbol during the colonial spanish period.

The spanish uniforms, however, are wrong. They need to be fixed, because this is really bad. Maybe the original author wrote all of the spanish as having these types of red coats. It's been a long time since I read that. I dunno! But, ummm, it's historically inaccurate, and being that zorro is historical fiction, it'd be nice to get them fixed. Now, I specifically went through my historical references off the web as well as ON the web and could not find supporting evidence for the current dress of the soldiers.

Here's a letter I received in response from a guy over at one of the very many historical preservation sites I contacted concerning the color of spanish uniforms ( www.militarymuseum.org ):

Hi Kevin:

As you know there were several types of Spanish Soldiers that saw service in
                            the Americas in the 1800s. They did not all wear the same type of uniform.

If you are talking East Coast… you will find Spanish Regular Infantry in the
                            form of the Louisiana Regiment. These guys wore white with blue facings.

As to red coats: Juan Bautista de Anza originally outfitted his presidials
                            in red coats and some of them may have made it to California still wearing
                            those red coats in 1776. The Standard presidial uniform, however, by the
                            1780s was blue with red facings. The blue was probably more of a royal
                            blue, but our guys wear more of a navy blue. We are doing that , because
                            that is how we started out with our research, and after making several
                            uniforms like this, we sort of standardized on it.

Another type of spanish Red coat were the Dragoons of Spain. They were out
                            of Central Mexico, and may have seen service around the Tucson and Central
                            Northern New Spain Area. There were not many of them up here, but I suspect
                            some were. You need to talk to Rick Collins in Tucson about that. He has
                            developed that impression.

Another type of Spanish infantry soldier that served on the Northern
                            Frontier were the Catalonian Volunteers. I think there is one next to
                            Rick's Dragoons of Spain outfit above. The uniform was blue with whote
                            gaiters and yellow facings.

You got Anza I believe in Colorado later in his career when he was governor
                            of New Mexico. He was fighting Cuerno Verde then around Pueblo Colorado. I
                            believe his presidials would have been wearing the blue uniform with cuera
                            etc. Anza by then was a Lt. Col and definitely was wearing a blue uniform.

I hope this helps

Regards,

Mike
                            The uniforms discussed which had red facings did not look like the uniforms being presented in this comic, i.e. they were not used as a one size fits all uniform and varied depending on the branch of service.

Now, in the corresponding emails I was also given pictures of such uniforms, if you'd like me to host the images and link to them I will.

Now we're also talking about Zorro being placed within the historical scope of 1806-1818, despite the original stating it was 1806, the author continually made references to events which occur after 1812. However, even with this, it's post the 1796 era of revolutionary style red long coats with blue overcoats and was phasing into the era of blue overcoat styled infantry.

Also, should these soldiers of the pueblo of Riena de Los Angeles be wearing the classical uniforms, we should be seeing the light leather jerkined dragoons.

While some militias of Spanish controlled California did wear Red coat version of the standard blue coated infantry, the pueblo of Riena de Los Angeles was large enough to be supplied by troops the local presideos, nixing out these minor militia type characters.

Santa Barbara Presidio http://www.sbthp.org/research.htm also has some information on the matter.

Basically I'd like to know where the artist or writer got the description for the red coated soldiers (seriously, I want to know if there's a historical reference being made depicting this style of uniform for the major Los Angeles area which I could not find).

Historically speaking, Zorro is from an area which "prides itself" on being in line with Spain and the latest spanish fashions. That means either primarily blue coats on the sodiers and especially the infantrymen (of the style depicted here), or older looking revolutionary style long coats (which are not depicted here).

Comment

• Zorro #1 is awesome.

He needs a moustache though. A spanish man without a stache is considered just a boy. It's a massive cultural thing here that needs to be corrected in further issues.

I can ignore the issue I have with the uniforms, but the stache needs to be fixed.

Comment

• I just got a copy yesterday. I really liked it. The artwork is beautiful and the story well told. Naturally, I want to jump right in and see Zorro doing his thing, but I have a feeling this will be worth the wait.

Comment

Working...
                                X