Zorro comics MEGATHREAD!

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New World ZORRO DVD Release NEWS!!!

Zorro Productions Inc. (ZPI) has announced that as of January 2010 it has acquired rights to the 88 half hour episodes of 1990's New World Zorro TV series that starred Duncan Regehr and Patrice Martinez. Zorro Productions will be looking to release the series on DVD as well as reintroduce this series to TV audiences all over the world.

Go to the Zorro Productions Inc, website or facebook page for more information.
    http://www.zorro.com

New World Zorro fans can also check out the 'New World Zorro Swashbuckling Never Looked So Good' fan website at:
    www.newworldzorro.com

Fans can also be part of the New World Zorro Yahoo group by going to Yahoo.com and signing up. You'll get news on all things related to New World Zorro.

****** Also of note Disney has just released the Disney Zorro series on DVD in color. *******

There's also a Disney Zorro Yahoo group if you're a Disney Zorro fan you'll find it under GWFriendlist (Guy Williams Friendlist).

Also Disney fans be sure to check out Bill Cotter's Disney Zorro fan site. It's loaded with info regarding Disney Zorro.
    http://www.billcotter.com/zorro/

Stay tuned for further updates and be sure to pass this wonderful news on to Zorro fans everywhere.
    Last edited by D. Mack; 01-24-2010, 09:28 AM.

Comment

• That site belongs to Jennifer White.

Comment

• Curse of Capistrano - The Mark of Zorro

Coming later this year Hollywood Theater of the Ear and Blackstone Audio Publishing will release a full-cast audio drama adaptation of Johnston McCulley's The Curse of Capistrano aka The Mark of Zorro.

Comment

• Originally posted by D. Mack View Post
          Coming later this year Hollywood Theater of the Ear and Blackstone Audio Publishing will release a full-cast audio drama adaptation of Johnston McCulley's The Curse of Capistrano aka The Mark of Zorro.
          Any word on a release date? Or even a month?
          Always remember, Murphy was an optimist
          Munchkin 1, 2, 4, 7 Super Munchkin 1&2, Munchkin Bites 1&2, Munchkin Fu, Star Munchkin Deluxe and Star 2
          http://ghornet.deviantart.com/

Comment

• Matanzas!

So what is the popular feeling, now that we are two issues in? Obviously, Matanzas is not in the same continuity as DE's regular Zorro series. The character of Bernardo proves that. It comes from an earlier continuity. I am a long-time fan of Don McGregor's writing (all the way back to his never-equalled "Panther's Rage"). I was also a loyal fan of his Zorro stories back in Topps Comics in the early 1990s. Which brings me to Matanzas. This really is just a continuation of the Topps storyline: Machete, Don Ramon, his sister Anita, Moonstalker. These all either appear or are mentioned in Matanzas #2 and all were regular players in the Topps run. For me, that makes Matanzas very enjoyable. It is picking up on a storyline that has been on hold since the Topps series folded. I just wonder if Lady Rawhide will make an appearance...

But I would like to know how new readers are reacting. Were you puzzled by the introduction of the blind Don Ramon? The already-exisiting enmity between Zorro and Machete? Were you wondering why Diego's father seems so angered by a cartoon drawing? The Topps readers know that was a fight brewing for a couple issues...albeit almost a decade ago in real time. Is this special series really only able to be enjoyed by old fogeys like me who remember the Topps series or can you come to the story fresh and still enjoy it?

Comment

• I couldn't get into it....

Originally posted by Tulku View Post
              But I would like to know how new readers are reacting. Were you puzzled by the introduction of the blind Don Ramon? The already-exisiting enmity between Zorro and Machete? Were you wondering why Diego's father seems so angered by a cartoon drawing? The Topps readers know that was a fight brewing for a couple issues...albeit almost a decade ago in real time. Is this special series really only able to be enjoyed by old fogeys like me who remember the Topps series or can you come to the story fresh and still enjoy it?
              I, for one, dropped it after the first issue. It did shock me a little, that Bernardo and Zorro's father looked different than they appear in the regular series. It seems strange to me that earlier continuity would be used for this, since afterall, this is a Zorro title published by Dynamite Entertainment, not Topps. There was also a minor coloring mistake that happened in issue #1, where Bernardo's hair is white when we first meet him, and then it changes to brown. It's just a mistake, I guess, and forgivable, but it did add to the confusion.

That's not why I dropped it, however. All due respect to Mr. McGregor, I know he's a legend in his own right, but I personally didn't enjoy the writing in the first issue of this particular comic. It was very dense with captions and word balloons, while I felt that there wasn't much going on in the panels themselves. I wasn't enjoying the bit with the drawings, and by the end, I felt that the story didn't move, a great deal, forward.

This is all IMHO, of course. I'm sure there were many that enjoyed it. I hope it does well, and I'll have to catch up with the author's previous works.

-Pistols

Comment

• Originally posted by Twin Pistols:

That's not why I dropped it, however. All due respect to Mr. McGregor, I know he's a legend in his own right, but I personally didn't enjoy the writing in the first issue of this particular comic. It was very dense with captions and word balloons, while I felt that there wasn't much going on in the panels themselves. I wasn't enjoying the bit with the drawings, and by the end, I felt that the story didn't move, a great deal, forward.
                It might be worth the effort to pick up issue #2 first. I actually felt the same way about issue #1--the writing was not what I had come to expect from McGregor. I suspect the problem was that he needed an "intro" issue to resurrrect a storyline that has languished for ten years. It is very mechanical in introducing the main players and themes. In other words, a lot of talk, little action.

Issue # 2, by contrast, feels like it was originally written back in the 1990s, already in the flow of the story. And quite a lot of action!

However, if after #2 it still doesn't grab you, I respect that. I can understand that his writing style is not for everybody. He does love his captions.

Ooooooh! Sudden thought: Don McGregor writing "Prince Valiant"!! Whoa! That would be worth the price of admission!

Comment

• The Mark of Zorro release date

Casting for The Mark of Zorro full-cast audio drama is nearing completion. The show will likely be recorded some time in May and released in June or July.

Comment

• McCulley Zorro Pulps

For those who are interested in the original Johnston McCulley Zorro pulps: Check out the Johnston McCulley / Zorro Yahoo group. This is the place to go if you want McCulley Zorro. You won't be disappointed.

http://groups.yahoo.com/group/johnstonmcculleyzorro/

Comment

• NEW WORLD ZORRO DVD RELEASE NEWS

Zorro Productions Inc. has recently acquired full rights to The New World Zorro TV series that starred Duncan Regehr. They will soon be releasing the series on DVD. Also they will be re-releasing the show on TV all over the world. Work continues to bring about a concluding episode to the show as a full-cast audio drama featuring the original cast.

Comment

• zorro

sorry I only remember the Zorro from the 50's. I even had a Zorro costume to play with when I was 6.
                        KK

Comment

• Lady Rawhide

I wonder if DE will ever publish the old Z spinoff of L Rawhide????
                          KK

Comment

• I loved the Duncan Regehr series--although watching it was when I first realized that every generation re-invents Zorro to fit current sensibilities. Instead of playing a fop, Regehr played Don Diego as a pacifist. Instead of somebody playing silly magic tricks, Diego is portrayed as somebody whose idea of a great night is to be curled up with a book.

But then, even Johnston McCulley kept tweaking the character as he wrote. The Zorro that is shown in the first novel is considerably different than the character who appears in the later short stories and novels (although those later novels have seldom--if ever--been reprinted). So it is only just that later interpreters of the character change him to suit the times.

Comment

• Zorro over the years

The New World Zorro TV series that starred Duncan Regehr will soon be available on DVD for fans to enjoy. A concluding episode for the series may also be in the works. If it happens it will likely be in the form of a full-cast audio drama.

Fans of the Duncan Regehr Zorro series can check out the Yahoo fan site at:

http://tv.groups.yahoo.com/group/New_World_Zorro/

There's also a New World Zorro facebook fan page at:

http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?...8393438&ref=ts

If the link doesn't work just search facebook using: From out of the night...a hero must rise

If you like McCulley's Zorro by all means check out the Johnston McCulley Zorro fan group on Yahoo, if you haven't done so already.

If you're a fan of Guy Williams and Disney's Zorro check out that Yahoo fan site at:

http://tv.groups.yahoo.com/group/GWFriendslist/

If you like radio dramas check out Colonial Radio Theatre's production of 'Zorro and the Pirate Raiders' available from Lulu.com.

Also coming soon 'The Mark of Zorro' radio drama from Hollywood Theater of the Ear.
                              Last edited by D. Mack; 05-20-2010, 03:19 AM.

Comment

• Johnston McCulley Zorro Stories

If you're a fan of Johnston McCulley's Zorro check out the Johnston McCulley Zorro fan site on Yahoo. You'll find updates and info on McCulley pulps. Discussion of McCulley stories, details and insights into various Zorro topics and info on Johnston McCulley. Discussion of Zorro collectables. Notices when Zorro items are for sale (including rare pulps.)

If you've ever wanted to read every Johnston McCulley Zorro story this group may just be able to tell you how to do it.

Comment

Working...
                                X