No announcement yet.

Zorro comics MEGATHREAD!

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Will Lady Rawhide ever join Zorro within D.E. universe?

Comment

• Zorro Rides Again ships next week (Aug 15).
      DE pull list: Will Eisner's The Spirit: The Corpse Makers, ERB's The Greatest Adventure, Green Hornet '66 Meets The Spirit, PSP: Herokillers, KISS/Vampirella, Mighty Mouse

Comment

• The future, if any, of ZORRO...

...ZORRO RIDES AGAIN has ended.

Where do we go from here?

I think it's safe to say that Matt Wagner did an amazing job on the Fox's adventures (and the addition of John K. Snyder III in the art department was SO awesome). I'd hate for it to just stop here.

Is there more planned? Has there been an announcement that I've missed?

WHEN WILL ZORRO RIDE AGAIN?

Er...again.

Comment

• Originally posted by LetsRollKato View Post
          ...ZORRO RIDES AGAIN has ended.

Where do we go from here?

I think it's safe to say that Matt Wagner did an amazing job on the Fox's adventures (and the addition of John K. Snyder III in the art department was SO awesome). I'd hate for it to just stop here.

Is there more planned? Has there been an announcement that I've missed?

WHEN WILL ZORRO RIDE AGAIN?

Er...again.
          I'm sure there will eventually be a ZORRO AGAIN RIDES AGAIN, or something like that.
          DE pull list: Will Eisner's The Spirit: The Corpse Makers, ERB's The Greatest Adventure, Green Hornet '66 Meets The Spirit, PSP: Herokillers, KISS/Vampirella, Mighty Mouse

Comment

• Pulp Comic Recommendations

Ok, so I'm all caught up on Dynamite's pulp stuff that I love and I hope that it's ok that I ask this here.Already in a couple other threads, great runs from the past have been brought up and intrigued me to look into past runs on characters. For instance, I have been a fan of The Shadow radio serials since I used to listen to cassetes of them as a young kid, but I didn't know until recently he had several comic runs at DC. I started reading comics with Green Hornet's Now Comics run, and there isn't much in the way of GH comics anyway. Beyond that, what suggestions would you make to someone looking to check out previous runs on great pulp characters. I have the first Spider series from Eclipse coming in the mail, as well as the trade of Chaykin's Shadow. I also am checking out Shadow Strikes (I ordered issue 7, which seems like an interesting one shot, dedicated to Orson Welles) and trying to get ahold of Batman #253. I guess I'm just wondering if there are any other cool runs or appearances out there that are cool that I have missed. If so, if you could suggest runs or individual issues that would be great!

Comment

• Originally posted by johnpisme View Post
              Ok, so I'm all caught up on Dynamite's pulp stuff that I love and I hope that it's ok that I ask this here.Already in a couple other threads, great runs from the past have been brought up and intrigued me to look into past runs on characters. For instance, I have been a fan of The Shadow radio serials since I used to listen to cassetes of them as a young kid, but I didn't know until recently he had several comic runs at DC. I started reading comics with Green Hornet's Now Comics run, and there isn't much in the way of GH comics anyway. Beyond that, what suggestions would you make to someone looking to check out previous runs on great pulp characters. I have the first Spider series from Eclipse coming in the mail, as well as the trade of Chaykin's Shadow. I also am checking out Shadow Strikes (I ordered issue 7, which seems like an interesting one shot, dedicated to Orson Welles) and trying to get ahold of Batman #253. I guess I'm just wondering if there are any other cool runs or appearances out there that are cool that I have missed. If so, if you could suggest runs or individual issues that would be great!
              There's not a real lot. DC recently reprinted (two or three years ago, when they had the Doc Savage license for "First Wave"), a trio of older Doc Savage comic runs (one of their own, and two earlier ones by Marvel) in trade paperback. You might check those out. In addition to #253, The Shadow also appeared in Batman #259. I don't think those two stories have ever been reprinted anywhere. Also, Dark Horse had the license to The Shadow (and very briefly, Doc Savage) in the early-to-mid 90s and did a bunch of miniseries. There was also an independent company called Millennium that released a few Doc Savage miniseries and one-shots in the mid-90s.

Other than those and the ones you've already identified, there's a smattering of pulp character comic books from Moonstone Books (The Spider, Domino Lady, a few one-shots and miniseries).

The rest of the catalog is more in the category of "pulp-like" than based on actual pulp characters: things like Sandman Mystery Theatre, Batman: Bad Moon Rising (which consists of Batman and the Monster Men and Batman and the Mad Monk), The Rocketeer, Lobster Johnson, Black Beetle, and things like that.

And if you haven't already read Planetary, you definitely should. While it doesn't begin and end with "pulp" there are enough references and homages woven throughout the run that you should appreciate them.
              Last edited by positronic; 01-05-2013, 04:37 AM.

Comment

• Oh yeah. Forgot to ask how broadly or narrowly you're defining "pulp". If you include other DE characters like Lone Ranger, Zorro, Tarzan and John Carter and other ERB heroes, Buck Rogers, Flash Gordon, and The Phantom, then the list goes from fairly short to huge.
                Last edited by positronic; 01-05-2013, 04:11 AM.

Comment

I started reading comics with Green Hornet's Now Comics run, and there isn't much in the way of GH comics anyway.
                  It's funny you should put it that way, because just considering all the GH related titles that Now published (and not even adding DE's), Green Hornet already has more comics published than the runs of The Shadow, Doc Savage, The Avenger and The Spider combined. Of all those characters, Green Hornet has been the most successful in comic books.

Of the other 4 characters, the longest running title was The Shadow Strikes! at 31 issues plus 1 Annual.
                  Last edited by positronic; 01-05-2013, 06:25 AM.

Comment

• Originally posted by positronic View Post
                    It's funny you should put it that way, because just considering all the GH related titles that Now published (and not even adding DE's), Green Hornet already has more comics published than the runs of The Shadow, Doc Savage, The Avenger and The Spider combined. Of all those characters, Green Hornet has been the most successful in comic books.

Of the other 4 characters, the longest running title was The Shadow Strikes! at 31 issues plus 1 Annual.
                    Good point. Probably just seems diminished in my mind since I have known of it since I was a kid. Also there are a larger variety of creators that worked on the other comics. Not that it matters.

I have the first 3 trades of Planetary, but am waiting to read it until I get the fourth. Awesome to know it contains pulp homages. I also was aware of Batman 253 and 259, been trying to win them on eBay for a good price.

I guess I just found out recently about this pulp history and was hoping there was more that I hadn't found. I'm not particularly interested in Buck Rogers or Flash Gordon, but if you could suggest the best issue/arc for a non-fan to try out I'd give it a shot. I'm not really familiar with Phantom beyond the Last Phantom (which I did enjoy) so a recommendation on him would be good.

Pulp-like comics are of interest. I read the first issue of Sandman Mystery Theater and plan on reading the rest soon. Also just bought the first 6 issues of The Question because I've heard lots of praise and trust Denny O'Neil to.come through with a good story. I have heard good things about Fear Agent and that is on my list to read ad well. Is there anything more I should add to this list?

Comment

I've heard lots of praise and trust Denny O'Neil to.come through with a good story. I have heard good things about Fear Agent and that is on my list to read ad well. Is there anything more I should add to this list?
                      Here are a couple of links for you:

THE SHADOW:
                      http://www.comicbookdb.com/character.php?ID=10850
                      Click image for larger version

Name:	75045_20061212183829_large.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	67.7 KB
ID:	48726Click image for larger version

Name:	79892_20071002232324_large.jpg
Size:	96.4 KB
ID:	48727Click image for larger version

Name:	59728_20060826153847_large.jpg
Size:	54.9 KB
ID:	48728

DOC SAVAGE:
                      http://www.comicbookdb.com/character.php?ID=10488

Name:	24735_20090405150728_large.jpg
Size:	87.0 KB
ID:	48729Click image for larger version

Name:	Doc Savage #1.jpg
Size:	28.9 KB
ID:	48730

I recommend the series pictured. The Doc Savage series were reprinted in their entirety by DC a couple of years ago, as mentioned earlier.
                      And if you like Denny O'Neil, you should NOT miss his collaboration with Mike Kaluta on The Shadow. Pictured are the first issue of DC's 1970s series, the 1989 hardcover reprint of same, and a 1982 Marvel Graphic Novel sequel of sorts, inked by veteran Russ Heath (the ONLY time Marvel has had the license for The Shadow). O'Neil also wrote the Doc Savage miniseries (illustrated by the Kubert brothers) that attempted to update the character to 1987 (and also reprinted by DC in TPB a couple of years ago). That was less of a successful reworking of the character for me, but you may like it - in any case, the artwork is nice.
                      Last edited by positronic; 01-06-2013, 02:06 AM.

Comment

• One more thing. Marvel was the first since Street & Smith's Golden Age Shadow Comics and Doc Savage Comics (after 2 one-shots of Doc Savage and G-8 and his Battle Aces published by Gold Key in the 1960s) to try to bring pulp heroes to comics with 8 issues of a Doc Savage color comic in 1972-73. They tried once more with a black & white magazine version (hoping to tie into the George Pal Doc Savage movie) in 1975, which also lasted 8 issues. Then, other than that single Marvel Graphic Novel of The Shadow, they haven't done any pulp adaptations since. But in 2011 they tried doing their own original group of "pulp-like" characters, Mystery Men, written by David Liss (DE's The Spider) and illustrated by Patrick Zircher. Definitely recommended.

Name:	Mystery Men.jpg
Size:	45.4 KB
ID:	48731

Comment

• Another semi-obscure "pulp-like" hero...

...is The Prowler, published in the late 1980s by Eclipse Comics, and written and drawn by Timothy Truman and John K. Snyder III. The entire run consists of the 4-issue Prowler series, a 4-issue sequel Revenge of The Prowler, and the one-shot issues Airboy Meets The Prowler and The Prowler in White Zombie.

Name:	720557.jpg
Size:	52.2 KB
ID:	48733Click image for larger version

Name:	617659.jpg
Size:	72.3 KB
ID:	48734Click image for larger version

Name:	713229.jpg
Size:	76.5 KB
ID:	48735Click image for larger version

Name:	618637.jpg
Size:	55.3 KB
ID:	48736

While probably inspired in part by DC's "The Dark Knight Returns", in fact it plays out much closer to the relationship between the decrepit Bruce Wayne and Terry McGuinness in Batman Beyond. The original Prowler (Leo Kragg) is an elderly pulp/radio/serial-type hero in the Shadow-Spider mold who is training a young protege (art college student Scott Kida) to take over the crime fighting business as a new Prowler. The younger Prowler doesn't agree with the older Prowler's lethal methods however, and this gave the series an internal conflict and generational-gap aspect that was interesting. Backup stories in the book (by Michael H. Price & Graham Nolan; also in the one-shot "White Zombie") told of Leo Kragg's origin and adventures in the 1940s as the original Prowler. The stories were heavily influenced by old B-movies and serials -- a recurring foe of the original Prowler is Murder Legendre (who first appeared in the 1932 film White Zombie, portrayed by Bela Lugosi), and in Revenge of The Prowler, the two Prowlers team up with Tom Grayson and Frank Corby (former Marines who first appeared in the 1938 Republic serial Fighting Devil Dogs). Various intermittent backup text features served to support the idea of the Prowler as a well-known public figure in the '40s, with B-movies (produced by Leo Kragg himself), records, a comic strip and comic book series all based on the character.

EDIT: It appears that The Prowler is a creator-owned property, and thus was not part of the intellectual property holdings that were sold to Todd McFarlane in Eclipse Comics' bankruptcy auction. This means that DE could still talk to Truman & Snyder regarding reprinting and/or reviving The Prowler through Dynamite.

Personal plea to Nick B.: PLEASE look into this idea!!!
                          Last edited by positronic; 01-21-2013, 04:15 AM.

Comment

• ZORRO family tree...

This is they type of thing I do when I can't sleep at night.

Yes. I'm THAT much of a nerd.

Name:	zorrolegacysm.jpg
Size:	80.9 KB
ID:	48740

The dates of the DYNAMITE comics don't jive at all with the original novel or any of the movies. This is probably because Wagner used a lot of Isabel Allende's book as the basis for his origin story. I tried to make all of the timelines fit together. It's not exactly easy, I'll say that.
                            Last edited by LetsRollKato; 02-16-2013, 01:10 AM.

Comment

• If you haven't already read it, Win Scott Eckert edited an anthology called MYTHS FOR THE MODERN AGE that contains an article by Matthew Baugh, "The Legacy of the Fox: Zorro in the Wold Newton Universe" that covers much of the same ground (and attempts to include many more Zorro incarnations besides). The book is now sold out, but well worth hunting down.

Name:	51AEQW8TZWL.jpg
Size:	48.7 KB
ID:	48741

http://pjfarmer.com/woldnewton/MythsWoldNewton.htm

Comment

• I haven't, actually, but I DO know of it and have been meaning to add it to my pile of things-I-have-but-haven't-read-yet. It keeps growing, that pile.

I love the "Wold Newton" concept of connection. I love the idea of legacy and was working on a pitch for Dynamite, actually, which is what this was meant to be a part of. I've found, however, that the Zorro of the Dynamite universe is set much later than the original stories. For instance, Don Diego would be WAY too old to interact with The Lone Ranger as he did in DEATH OF ZORRO and if I wanted to include Alejandro Murrieta, that would mean using the events in MASK OF ZORRO which includes Don Diego's death. So, could the Zorro that the Lone Ranger meets have been Alejandro living under the name "Don Diego De la Vega" due to, perhaps, his name, Murrieta, being associated with his brother the (very REAL, by the way) bandit Joaquin Murrieta?

Lots of stuff like that. I enjoy that kind of thing, though.

Comment

Working...
                                X