Zorro comics MEGATHREAD!

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by LetsRollKato View Post
    Well, no...Don Diego is Don Diego. Fairbanks, Power, Hadley, Williams, Hopkins...It's all Don Diego.

There are ten Zorro's...

1. Don Diego De la Vega
    2. Don Cesar De la vega (Don Q: Son of Zorro)
    3. Alejandro Murrieta (Mask of Zorro/Legend of Zorro)
    4. Jeff Stewart (Son of Zorro)
    5. Joaquin Murrieta/Ken Mason (Ghost of Zorro)
    6. Randolph Meredith (Zorro's Black Whip)
    7. Barbara Meredith (Zorro's Black Whip)
    8. James Vega (Zorro Rides Again)
    9. Rafael Vega (MASKS depending, of course, on the outcome of the series)
    10. Jackson Mason (original creation for this story)

Entitled ZORRO: LEGACY OF THE FOX, it focuses on Jack Mason discovering his familial connection to the Zorro legend (in a bit of a nod to The Phantom and other "legacy" heroes) and finding his true calling via tales of those who came before him.
    Ah, I see what you're getting at now. That would actually be pretty cool, and be something like "The Phantom Chronicles" of the Walker family bloodline. Although in Zorro's case, they aren't all direct descendants or even necessarily blood relations at all.

This reminds me of a couple of Silver Age DC stories about the Superman of 2966 (at least one story in World's Finest Comics included Batman as well) in which they did a brief flashback montage over a couple of pages showing the legacy of Superman going 1000 years into the future.
    Last edited by positronic; 04-20-2013, 01:12 AM.
    DE pull list: Will Eisner's The Spirit: The Corpse Makers, ERB's The Greatest Adventure, Green Hornet '66 Meets The Spirit, PSP: Herokillers, KISS/Vampirella, Mighty Mouse

Comment

• Originally posted by positronic View Post
      Ah, I see what you're getting at now. That would actually be pretty cool, and be something like "The Phantom Chronicles" of the Walker family bloodline. Although in Zorro's case, they aren't all direct descendants or even necessarily blood relations at all.

This reminds me of a couple of Silver Age DC stories about the Superman of 2966 (at least one story in World's Finest Comics included Batman as well) in which they did a brief flashback montage over a couple of pages showing the legacy of Superman going 1000 years into the future.
      Actually, they are all related by blood in some form or another. The only sort of "Zorro once removed" is Jeff Stewart and he's Don Diego's second cousin on his mother's side.

With a little bit of tweaking it works. I've written a one-page pitch, short issue-by-issue synopses, and a full script for the first issue.

Comment

Actually, they are all related by blood in some form or another. The only sort of "Zorro once removed" is Jeff Stewart and he's Don Diego's second cousin on his mother's side.

With a little bit of tweaking it works. I've written a one-page pitch, short issue-by-issue synopses, and a full script for the first issue.
        I'm going to have to watch The Mask of Zorro again. It's been a while. Either I totally missed the blood connection, or I've totally forgotten it.
        DE pull list: Will Eisner's The Spirit: The Corpse Makers, ERB's The Greatest Adventure, Green Hornet '66 Meets The Spirit, PSP: Herokillers, KISS/Vampirella, Mighty Mouse

Comment

• Well, in MASK OF ZORRO Alejandro Murrieta (ZORRO III) marries Don Diego's daughter Elena and they have a son, Joaquin (who is a spunky little kid in LEGEND OF ZORRO).

Comment

Well, in MASK OF ZORRO Alejandro Murrieta (ZORRO III) marries Don Diego's daughter Elena and they have a son, Joaquin (who is a spunky little kid in LEGEND OF ZORRO).
            Right, but I thought you were saying all those on your list were blood relations. Alejandro is not. That's what I originally meant when I said that all the Zorros were not necessarily direct descendants or even blood relations. Joaquin is, but Alejandro isn't. I thought you were saying Alejandro had some sort of cousin or second-cousin relationship (otherwise marrying Zorro's daughter would be a little incestuous). And even though he eventually marries into the bloodline, he isn't part of it when he becomes Zorro.
            Last edited by positronic; 04-21-2013, 12:49 AM.

Comment

• AH! Gotcha.

Comment

• Two bits! Four bits! Six bits! A peso!
                All for Zorro... stand up and say so!

I'm sorry, I couldn't resist...

Comment

• Good work.

Comment

• So as not to derail MasksII thread, my point there was to someone suggesting Zorro didn't fit with the Masks time period, to indicate that there does exits a great Zorro incarnation that fits in well. Just that Dynamite failed to use him.
                    http://i19.photobucket.com/albums/b1...ain%201937.gif - Zorro Rides Again's James (Santiago) Vega, the great grandson of Diego.

Since he's not actually in the book, I'm replying to your post here...

Originally posted by ChastMastr View Post
                    Maybe they just don't want a Zorro who uses guns. *shrug*
                    LOL! Well, obviously. My question becomes why they want that then?
                    Or where they even got that?
                    Especially since some of the most popular iconic incarnations McCulley, Fairbanks, Power, Williams(Disney)Toth, and others as indicated, all had him use guns.
                    And Dynamite seems invested in the truer, grittier, back to the pulpy incarnations of most their characters, why would Dynamite take this bizarre stance with one character?
                    It doesn't fit. It seems antithetical to their whole line of pulp inspired books, and worse to the character itself - who used the most "modern" weapons of his time available.
                    My fear is it's just out of blatant ignorance of the character, which is a shame.
                    Someone earlier suggested it was Zorro productions Inc. forcing this stance on Dynamite, yet their previous comic license with Papercutz (a more kid friendly version) - http://i.imgur.com/ZE9UhI3.jpg?1- Zorro Inc. has no problem with it.
                    So it's not Zorro Inc.
                    It's only Dynamite comics who do, or maybe the main Zorro Editor at Dynamite who does?
                    It seems like a modern misconception of the character. The discussion becomes why would Dynamite according to you "want" to perpetuate this?
                    Last edited by Guicho; 10-23-2015, 04:12 PM.

Comment

• Originally posted by Guicho View Post
                      The discussion becomes why would Dynamite according to you "want" to perpetuate this?
                      I have no idea. That would be up to whoever the decision-maker(s) at Dynamite is/are. Maybe it's just the story they want to tell, for whatever reason.

Comment

• Originally posted by ChastMastr View Post
                        Maybe it's just the story they want to tell, for whatever reason.
                        "Whatever reason", ok

I guess Tornado does not really need an origin, but there are some out there.
                        I still don't know or remember if Disney (who I believe first named the horse) Filmation, Topps, or Marvel Comics for that matter or Don McGregor ever gave him one.
                        I'm just curious to know what they all are?
                        Re: have since read a few more McCulley, by the 2nd -3rd story he was referring to the horse specifically as "The Black" I do believe it is Disney who first named him Tornado, although McCulley was writing consultant on the show, it could have come from him.
                        As far as I know Disney also gave him the first origin of sorts, Diego pretty much just explains he raised Tornado from a colt, and a shepherd was keeping him in what looks like a secret boxed valley, until his return from Spain.
                        He doesn't say where he got him, but neither Bernardo or even his own father is aware of the horse's existence.
                        Allende seems to have created the first extensive origin for Tornado.
                        Last edited by Guicho; 11-17-2015, 08:38 AM.

Comment

My pitch is a 12-issue series touching on every version or Zorro from all the media (excluding the GENERATION Z animated series). Movies, movie serials, comics. Don Diego, Don Q, Alejandro Murietta etc. etc.
                          That is interesting.

Originally posted by LetsRollKato View Post
                          Well, no...Don Diego is Don Diego. Fairbanks, Power, Hadley, Williams, Hopkins...It's all Don Diego.

There are ten Zorro's...

1. Don Diego De la Vega
                          2. Don Cesar De la vega (Don Q: Son of Zorro)
                          3. Alejandro Murrieta (Mask of Zorro/Legend of Zorro)
                          4. Jeff Stewart (Son of Zorro)
                          5. Joaquin Murrieta/Ken Mason (Ghost of Zorro)
                          6. Randolph Meredith (Zorro's Black Whip)
                          7. Barbara Meredith (Zorro's Black Whip)
                          8. James Vega (Zorro Rides Again)
                          9. Rafael Vega (MASKS depending, of course, on the outcome of the series)
                          10. Jackson Mason (original creation for this story)

I'm curious, how are you connecting these two? "Joaquin Murrieta/Ken Mason"?
                          Are you suggesting this is Joaquin the son of Alejandro & ElÚna De La Vega, who grows up and changes his name to Ken Mason in Ghost of Zorro?

Or would this be an (unknown retroactive) descendant of Joaquin Murrieta, Alejandro Murrieta's brother?
                          Last edited by Guicho; 01-16-2016, 10:27 AM.

Comment

• What is going on with the franchise
                            Anything new planned for Zorro?

Dynamite might be scraping the bottom here -
                            http://www.dynamite.com/previews/C72...02CovAChin.jpg
                            Are they that out of ideas on what to do with the character and name.

Can we get back to some actual Zorro comics.
                            Either in the classic setting.
                            or
                            Expand on the Pulp Masks era Zorro, although actually using elements form Zorro Rides Again's James (Santiago) Vega incarnation,
                            http://i19.photobucket.com/albums/b1...n%201937_1.gif the great grandson of Diego. Who actually existed alongside the pulp era heroes like the Shadow & Hornet etc.
                            Last edited by Guicho; 01-18-2016, 09:47 AM.

Comment

• I know, right? I mean I would love to see another crossover with Zorro... It's just I can't think of any other then that recent one with Django.

And I'm still waiting on that Zorro Omnibus that keeps on getting delayed with no date set. I got two sites telling me two different dates and I'm hoping Walmart is right with it hitting us around next week or so.

Comment

• Originally posted by Guicho View Post
                                What is going on with the franchise
                                Anything new planned for Zorro?

Dynamite might be scraping the bottom here -
                                http://www.dynamite.com/previews/C72...02CovAChin.jpg
                                Are they that out of ideas on what to do with the character and name.
                                It's not really a Zorro comic, apart from a small cameo.

Originally posted by Guicho View Post
                                Can we get back to some actual Zorro comics.
                                Either in the classic setting.
                                Django/Zorro was an actual Zorro comic, although admittedly more Django than Zorro. I enjoyed it though, as much as any of the previous Wagner-written Zorro comics.

Originally posted by Guicho View Post
                                Expand on the Pulp Masks era Zorro, although actually using elements form Zorro Rides Again's James (Santiago) Vega incarnation,
                                http://i19.photobucket.com/albums/b1...n%201937_1.gif the great grandson of Diego. Who actually existed alongside the pulp era heroes like the Shadow & Hornet etc.
                                How exactly are the Republic Pictures Zorros (or the one from MASKS) any more "actual Zorro" than Lady Zorro or Lady Rawhide? They are all spinoff characters, and I don't consider any of them any more "canon" than any other... as opposed to the actual Zorro, Don Diego Vega, who appears in all the previous DE Zorro comics written by Matt Wagner (and Lone Ranger: The Death of Zorro too, for that matter). I'd prefer fewer good Zorro comics (i.e. those written by Wagner) to more spinoff characters written by writers of less talent.

Comment

Working...
                                X