Zorro comics MEGATHREAD!

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Lone Ranger
    Ruben is not tied to Moonstone. He has his own really cool studio called Masked Avenger Studios. He did an awesome Lone Ranger statue a few years ago.
    Yeah his sculpts for Tiki and design work are all great.

He’s got a Zorro comic linked on hi site too, although the link is broken.
    I guess what he’s doing for Moonstone is providing illustrations for the Zorro prose book.
    Some interesting authors and artist on that list, I will be checking it out, but after Lone Ranger I’m really looking forward to see what DE does with the Zorro franchise the most.
    Last edited by Guicho; 07-11-2007, 12:51 PM.

Comment

Matt Wagner on Zorro!

http://forum.newsarama.com/showthread.php?t=121047

Yeah baby, this will be Diego De La Vega!

My biggest fear was that they would use the Banderas movie Murieta and son version. Thank goodness they are not.
      Love that he’s borrowing from several of Alliende’s plot points, several of the things she introduced to the backstory were great! especially concerning the mother and his roots.
      I also had zero interest in Topps’ Lady Rawhide sorry, so I’m glad to hear there will be none of that in Zorro proper.

I’m surprised he wasn't asked aboot the Telenovela, I have to wonder if he’s checked it out at all, it also borrows some from Allende, but drifts quite hysterically into well soap opera land...fun stuff!

So now when can we get a Zorro specific forum?
      I hate searching for Zorro news and discussion in the Lone Ranger forum and Misc DE boards. The fox needs his own lair!

And how about we extend an invitation to Mr. Wagner to post on Dynamite’s eventual Zorro forums, so we can praise him endlessly and/or chastise him for ruining Zorro and raping our childhood as the case may be. Sure he’d love it.
      Last edited by Guicho; 07-16-2007, 08:01 PM.

Comment

As to release dates for Zorro -

Originally posted by Joe Rybandt
        Too soon to tell, hopefully before the end of this year...

/joe

A little closer to the eventual date, Zorro will most definitely be getting his very own dedicated forum area.

Tommy.
        Aussie Aussie Aussie! Oi Oi Oi!

Comment

AWWWWWWWWWWW MAN!

No Zorro: The Gay Blade?!

LOL God I love that movie. If you guys can get the rights to do a mini series on that, I think the comedy would go over well.

lol especially with the Teddy-Bear suit. lol

Comment

Was that a teddy bear or a dog suit? LOL

That movie was great! George Hamilton actually made a pretty good straight up Zorro, I liked his hammy version alot better than Tyrone Power’s. Even with the fake tan and overly fake accent, he was hysterically convincing.
            But his portrayal of Zorro’s brother Bunny Wigelsworth was freakin off the hook!
            I always thought the Gay Blade was more of an homage to Zorro’s real literary brother The Scarlet Pimpernel. The whole Zorro’s unknown brother suddenly coming from England thing, the wigs, the fake mole and stockings, and the outrageous costumes, even a Scarlet one.
            It’s almost like they wanted to do a Scarlet Pimpernel movie but it was to obscure a character and realized it’d be even funnier if he was Zorro’s unknown brother.

Maybe Dynamite should consider doing a Scarlet Pimpernel comic for fan’s of the more English Zorro, I know it’s had several movies, and that classic Daffy Duck episode is one of the greatest. It’s even been a Broadway musical.
            Has it ever been a comic?
            Last edited by Guicho; 07-17-2007, 12:16 AM.

Comment

lol maybe it was a dog suit, I forget.

Bunny Wigglesworth

LOL

:sigh:

I need to buy that tv movie. I think CBS still owns the rights for it.
              Last edited by Kevin; 07-17-2007, 12:53 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Guicho
                Was that a teddy bear or a dog suit? LOL

That movie was great! George Hamilton actually made a pretty good straight up Zorro, I liked his hammy version alot better than Tyrone Power’s. Even with the fake tan and overly fake accent, he was hysterically convincing.
                But his portrayal of Zorro’s brother Bunny Wigelsworth was freakin off the hook!
                Fake tan?? Don't let George hear you say that.

I have to admit, when "Gay Blade" first came out I was kind of offended by the idea of making fun of Zorro, but then I saw it and it was great.

Meanwhile, best quote from the interview:

"No interest in Lady Rawhide."

Amen to that, brudda....

Comment

Hey, now, George Hamilton is very proud of his auto-tanning solution . He is an advocate for "tan in a bottle" over that of "beach tan" because of the rise of skin cancer.

I'm not joking, the man has made it a personal crusade to inform people that too much sun can be disasterous for your health. He preaches the use of Sun Block, and if you want to look tan for the sake of looking tan, then just use that "fake tanning solution". It's healtheir than skin cancer!

Comment

The origin of Tornado?

According to Allende; Tornado was a colt befriended by the young Bernardo while on a vision quest with Diego. Bernardo feeds and protects the small horse, only to find it is really the horse who is guiding him. And he understands as his initiation to survive he must adopt the horse's great virtues: loyalty, strength, and endurance (much like Diego finds he must adopt the virtues of the fox.)
                    After he’s trained him Bernardo will one day present Tornado as a gift to Diego, or more so to Zorro to help in their mutual cause.

The other more recent origin was from the Telenovela, more of a mythological telling as told by Padre Tomas adding to the mystique that is Zorro. I forget who he was telling it to, maybe a little boy.
                    I’m going by memory here, so if anyone wants to elaborate.

The legend goes that Tornado was part of a wild herd of mythical horses that once freely roamed the plains. They were one day swept up to the heavens in a whirlwind by the ancient spirits wanting to take the last of the marvelous creatures with them.
                    Either the spirits returned Tornado as a gift to the Earth. Or of his entire herd, only he escaped by shear strength of spirit, outrunning the fantastic whirlwind and thus reverting to flesh and bone.
                    Now he constantly runs like the wind, hoping to one day catch up to his lost brothers.

As fantastic as it sounds, with the “legend” you can believe they witnessed the horse outrunning a tornado which must have been a fantastic site to behold. Of his entire herd only he survived, thus the "legend" is born. I kind of like that.
                    But the way Padre' Tomas told it was pretty neat, I got goosebumps.

I don’t know what if any other origins were given for Tornado? Did Disney ever create one? I’m pretty sure McCulley did not, at least not in the original novel, did the horse even have a name?

Which do you prefer?
                    Last edited by Guicho; 07-20-2007, 10:45 PM.

Comment

the vision quest version

Comment

Originally posted by magnus robot fighter
                        the vision quest version
                        Yeah I liked the vision quest too, but for the fox which made sense as Diego’s spirit guide.
                        But then to repeat it again with Diego's horse for Bernardo seemes a little forced.
                        I thought why couldn’t Bernardo have kept his own horse, it was his totem.
                        Tornado should be a horse more personally linked to Diego/Tisha directly. Like the one in the legend, which he’d have to learn to capture and tame himself, while Bernardo looked on in laughter as he atempted the impossible.

Do you know if Topps Comics ever gave an origin for Tornado?
                        Last edited by Guicho; 07-21-2007, 08:12 AM.

Comment

Although I love the romanticism of these origins... I don't really care for either.

Only one horse surviving in a herd is really freakin depressing, and I'm sick of that kind of crap.

Allende's can't really be true because Horses don't live very long, ya know. And if it was a vision quest, that horse would have Arthritis, back problems, and not be the fantastic horse of speed that he should be by the time Zorro befriends him.

I'd rather they don't really deal with the origin if they have to pick one or the other. Isn't it enough that Zorro has this amazing horse (friend)?

Comment

I'm glad to see Zorro now has his own forum here. I hope we can get a good exchange of idea going.
                            I for one don't care to see a Lone Ranger/Zorro crossover. As much as I like both characters, it just isn't realistic in their given timelines, unless you had a very elderly Zorro.

Comment

Originally posted by Kevin
                              Allende's can't really be true because Horses don't live very long, ya know. And if it was a vision quest, that horse would have Arthritis, back problems, and not be the fantastic horse of speed that he should be by the time Zorro befriends him.
                              [lol]
                              I don’t know how long a horse lives, but it was described as a foal when Bernardo found it (or it found him.) And they were about thirteen or fourteen. When they returned from Spain they were probably in their early twenties. So that’s six or seven years. Is that too long for a horse? I have no idea, poor Tornado.

Originally posted by Kevin
                              Only one horse surviving in a herd is really freakin depressing, and I'm sick of that kind of crap.
                              [lol]
                              Damn! did somebody kill your herd of horses or something?
                              Did you not here the end, “he runs like the wind to catch up to his lost brothers.” How inspired is that!
                              I have to admit I embellished a bit, I need to find the exact episode on youtube and try and translate directly. But yeah it was intentionally presented to be some kind of a romantic legend adding to the mystique that is Zorro.
                              The implication was it was what the people were telling about the mythic horse and rider who came and went like the wind.
                              If it was meant to be believed or not was not said.
                              In that context I like that it exists as a “legend” the people tell.

I guess Tornado does not really need an origin, but there are some out there.
                              I still don’t know or remember if Disney (who I believe first named the horse) Filmation, Topps, or Marvel Comics for that matter or Don McGregor ever gave him one.
                              I’m just curious to know what they all are?
                              Last edited by Guicho; 07-22-2007, 02:12 PM.

Comment

Yeah finally the fox has its lair!

As far as the x-over with Lone ranger, it doesn’t really interest me that much (neither does Lady Rawhide for that matter, at least not in a Zorro book)
                                I’m pretty sure Rybandt said they were not going the x-over rout. And Wagner makes no mention of it in his interview.
                                I think they intend to keep the two properties separate (At least Lone Ranger, Lady Rawhide I don’t know)
                                They each exist and are products of their own time period anyway.
                                As far as the oft suggested a descendent of De La Vega dressing up like Zorro and meeting up with Reid? Why does nobody ever suggest an Ancestor maybe a grandfather of Reid’s dressing up Lone Ranger like and meeting up with De La Vega?
                                I think the answer is obvious, it kind of takes away from both.

But if Dynamite ever did decide to do it, I would be curious to see how they pulled it off.
                                Last edited by Guicho; 07-23-2007, 05:15 PM.

Comment

Working...
                                X