No announcement yet.

Zorro comics MEGATHREAD!

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Zorro: La Espada y La Rosa ends tomorrow.

Probably nobody is watching it but the final episode will be broadcast tomorrow 07/02 at 9:00, or 9:03 they tend to start late.
    If you haven’t been watching it you don’t know what you've missed, it’s been a blast!

Last edited by Guicho; 03-23-2008, 12:15 AM.

Comment

I don't speak spanish.

I wish I could watch it

Comment

Don McGregor basically continued off of Alex Toth's run. So if there is an origin for Don's Zorro it must've come from Toth or Disney.

I don't remember reading an origin in the McGregor books I have - or the Toth book. But, then again, 1 full year of the Zorro Dailies was never reprinted and I don't think the Toth collection is complete.

Yeah horses don't live very long. At 26 you're probably digging a grave for the horse.

Tornado's speed suggests that he's between 2-6 years old. That's really the fastest racing years for a Horse. Since Tornado is considered a "well trained" horse, I'd imagine he would be between 4-8 years old. You need to spend a few years to really train a horse.

No I never had a herd of horses, just one horse my dad/grandpa saved from an abusing owner.

His name was Blue. He was a spitfire, and one time, almost tried to kill dad. That was very scary for me because I was riding him at the time. But it wasn't Blue's fault. He had some very awful memories. I believe he was a wild horse at heart - but he wasn't stupid. He was a pretty smart horse.

He lived a long time ^_^

In either case, I do not like stories where horses get killed. -_-
        Last edited by Kevin; 07-24-2007, 04:36 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by MikeM
          I realise that there isn't a Zorro comic from Dynamite Entertainment yet, so this is a question about the Papercutz one.

How many issues where there?
          I have issues 1-3 but never did get the rest. With news that Zorro will soon be back I want to pick up the issues I'm missing.

From what I can gather from their webpage, Zorro Graphic Novel #1 collected issues 1-3 and Graphic Novel #2 collected issues 3-6. But was there more, because I see there was a ghaphic novel #3. Did that ever come out? Did it just collect unreleased issues?

Thanks for your help.

MikeM
          Papercutz put out a few issues, then collected the last two stories into final two volumes.

You can buy them here (hard cover links - they do have soft cover ones):

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/159...665676-2551248

They also advertise a Graphic Novel #4. And while Don McGregor wrote the script, they never actually put it to art. It will be forever known as the lost zorro comic
          Last edited by Kevin; 07-24-2007, 04:35 AM.

Comment

So how old is a foal, under a year? It sounds like Allenda has Tornado fully trained and in Zorro’s hands just about at 6 –7 years old, about the right age?

Sorry about Blue, I meant nothing by it in my comment above. Nobody wants to see any animals needlessly hurt.

I think in a lot of adventure fiction, or if you go even further back into mythology the tragic hero or even the tragic noble animal companion whose suffered a tremendous loss, but still rides it out to the end, makes for some of the more compelling heroes, and yes that includes horses.
            It can all be very cliched, or over romanticized you’re right, I guess it really depends how it’s handled.

The Telenovela pretty much threw every cliche imaginable in the book at you (non-stop.) That seems to be how they do them over there. The writers hold absolutely nothing back, but neither do the actors.
            You have to give them that, they own their parts no matter how out-there it gets. Sometimes it’s to some hysterical sidesplitting effect. Enough times they’ll hit that one note that surprisingly chokes you up and has you rooting for the hero, (or even the hero's horse.)
            For all it’s over the top melodrama when Padre Tomas delivers the "legend" of Tornado, (for me anyway) it hit that note.

Quickly scanning through the on-line Disney episode guides it does not appear Disney ever did a Tornado specific origin.
            I did not know McGregor had picked up the Disney/Toth continuity in the Dailies, (there is so much time between them) I assumed he had started over, that’s great!
            Some beautiful work by him and Yeates.
            Last edited by Guicho; 07-25-2007, 02:07 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Guicho
              So how old is a foal, under a year? It sounds like Allenda has Tornado fully trained and in Zorro’s hands just about at 6 –7 years old, about the right age?
              Well, I think if I remember what they say whenever I watch the Kentucky Derby, they tend to bring race horses in at around 2. Either that or that is the earliest age...

Tornado probably should be between 6-7 years old. I mean, he's got some hefty training, and he's still a spitfire.

Sorry about Blue, I meant nothing by it in my comment above. Nobody wants to see any animals needlessly hurt.
              you didn't make me upset ^_^

Yes... abusing animals is very cowardly as far as I'm concerned.

I think in a lot of adventure fiction, or if you go even further back into mythology the tragic hero or even the tragic noble animal companion whose suffered a tremendous loss, but still sticks it out and rides on till the end, makes for some of the more compelling heroes, and yes that includes horses.
              It can all be very cliched, or over romanticized you’re right, I guess it really depends how it’s handled.

The Telenovela pretty much threw every cliche imaginable in the book at you (non-stop.) That seems to be how they do them over there. The writers hold absolutely nothing back, but neither do the actors.
              You have to give them that, they own there parts no matter how out-there it gets. Sometimes it’s to hysterical sidesplitting effect. Enough times they’ll hit that one note that surprisingly chokes you up and has you rooting for the hero, (or their horse.)
              For all it’s over the top melodrama when Padre Tomas delivers the legend of Tornado, (for me anyway) it hit that note.
              lol yeah even though I couldn't understand the words, it seemed like a ridiculously fun show.

Kinda like Hercules and the Legendary Journeys.

Quickly scanning through the on-line Disney episode guides it does not appear they ever did a Tornado specific origin.
              I did not know McGregor had picked up the Disney/Toth continuity, that’s great. I assumed he had started over. Some beautiful work by him and Yeates.
              Edit: yeah that's a damn cool Zorro scene ;D

McGregor LOVES Zorro. And he was really into Alex Toth. I still have his email addy but only ever emailed him twice. He has a website he operates, and almost always responds to fans.

While I don't believe it was ever "officially" announce that it was a continuation of Alex Toth's story line, he never "re-wrote" anything that Alex wrote. He kept the same art for the characters, he kept the same characters. The only reoccurring character he added was a barmaid.

Maybe Papercutz did officially announce it was a continuation. I dunno. But in either case, you can pick up Toth's collection, and the zorro dailies and there's like absolutely no break inbetween them. It's smooth as butter. McGregor did that on purpose which I thought was great.

I sincerely hope that Dynamite retains the aspects of Zorro that made him popular. There doesn't need to be a sergeant garcia (he was a disney creation I believe?), but I'm talking about the real-life seriousness of disease, injury and death.

Zorro wasn't an X-Man, and I do not want to see that happen.

Comment

Originally posted by Kevin
                While I don't believe it was ever "officially" announce that it was a continuation of Alex Toth's story line, he never "re-wrote" anything that Alex wrote. He kept the same art for the characters, he kept the same characters. The only reoccurring character he added was a barmaid.
                That’s probably her strapped to him and Tornado’s back!

You can’t tell me this extraordinary horse does not deserve an equally extraordinary origin.
                Last edited by Guicho; 07-25-2007, 02:01 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Guicho
                  That’s probably her strapped to him and Tornado’s back!

You can’t tell me this extraordinary horse does not deserve an equally extraordinary origin.
                  That might be her, I think it is. It's been a month since I read the dailies collection so I don't remember that offhand. Either that or that was in the second year (which was never printed)

Oh, hell yea, the Horse needs an extraordinary origin, alright! Something to rival Pecos Bill's Widowmaker!

but he needs to be a young strong horse. And I don't think that killing off his herd is a good origin for him.

If he stopped his herd from dying and was a wild, untamed spirit who came to those in care of the de le Vega hacienda, that'd be cooler.

But, it'd be so klunky fitting Tornado into the storyline. The storyline has always been that Don Diego comes back from spain, thinks that people are lying about the Alcade -- as he believes his father is the Alcade -- then he takes up the mask to fight tyrrany, and all of a sudden there's Tornado - a pitch black steed never seen before!

Try fitting Tornado's extraordinary origin inbetween the fluidic action of the appearance of el Zorro, and it will slow the story down.

I'd love to see a Tornado mini-series though.

I've always pretended that Tornado was a protective horse, probably seen as a guardian of the Indians. The Indians never fear Tornado, but the Spainards do.

However, even with that origin he couldn't have come across the Spainards before becoming a mount for Zorro, because the first time the Alcade and his troops ever see Tornado is when Zorro is riding him.

A mini would be better suited for describing Tornado's origin, that way you won't have to deal with the spanish troops. It'd be a self contained story. Done narrative style. That way you don't have a "talking" horse, but you have a cohesive journey as to how the Horse became a symbol of power for the oppressed, and why he chose to let el Zorro mount him (cause as we all know, Tornado is a picky horse, nobody else outside of Bernardo and Don Diego can touch him).

Comment

Who thinks Dynamite should print the Second Year of the Dailies

As we all know, Zorro the Dailies was a comic strip done from 1999-2001 by Don McGregor. It basically picked up where Alex Toth left off.

The first year was printed.

The second year never was.

It drives all zorro collectors absolutely BONKERS!!!!!!!!!!!!

Who thinks that Dynamite should make an attempt to print the second year of the dailies just to provide a book end to the collection?

Comment

So we have Allende’s version, which definitely puts Tornado at the right age and at the right time, trained and ready for action precisely when Diego returns from Spain.

And the Telenovela legend, which gives Tornado more of a tragic almost mythological beginning.

And I forgot we also have the Tri-Star Zorro version:
                      What’s probably the funniest version. which if I remember correctly has Zorro (now actually Zorro’s legacy Alejandro Murieta) steeling the beautiful and reluctant Andaluz from the Spanish military and naming it Tornado.
                      (this time he has a slightly a more contentious relationship with his horse )

That’s three Tornado origins.
                      Any others?
                      Last edited by Guicho; 11-02-2007, 05:31 PM.

Comment

Sure why not, do they even do this kind of thing?
                        It could conflict with their new series, since they will be following a slightly different new/old continuity. They might do better to keep conflicting stories out of the public eye while they start out, I don’t know.
                        Or at least not be actively publishing them themselves.
                        I would love to get a chance to buy them though.
                        Last edited by Guicho; 07-26-2007, 10:28 AM.

Comment

all they need to do is publish it like the first collection. I seriously doubt people would confuse the two series, it'd just look like someone managed to finally produce the second year of th edailies ;D

Comment

Yeah nobody’s going to confuse the two, but they may conflict with each other. Lets say if Dynamite is trying to promote Bernardo as Native American again, they might not want to be actively promoting something that’s been saying he is not for years.
                            At least not at first while they are launching their new series,
                            but eventually I’d agree the Dailies are definitely worth collecting.

Last edited by Guicho; 07-29-2007, 01:35 PM.

Comment

I thought Bernardo was part indian in Don and Toth's strip? I'll have to re-read volume one but I was almost positive there's a comment about how he learned the herbal remedies...

then again I could be mixing up Allende's book with the strip

Comment

We discussed the new Zorro & Man With No Name comics in our latest podcast. Let me know what you guys think.

Thanks,
                                Brian

---

Kryptographik is a trans-continental podcast featuring Brian (in the
                                U.S.) and Damian (in Australia), providing news, reviews, and
                                commentary regarding science-fiction, dark fantasy and horror, in and
                                out of comics.

In our 14th podcast, we discuss the recent announcement regarding the
                                film adaptation of the new comic "The Living Corpse', coming soon from
                                Zenescope Entertainment, some theories regarding J.J. Abrams'
                                Cloverfield / 01-18-08 trailer, the Special Features on the new Zodiac
                                DVD & the Spawn Animated DVD Set, upcoming comics from Dynamite
                                Entertainment featuring 'The Man With No Name' from the Clint Eastwood
                                / Sergio Leone westerns and Zorro, the new World of Warcraft comic
                                coming soon from DC's Wildstorm imprint, and this Halloween's
                                crossover between Fangoria Comic's BUMP and Devil's Due Publishing's
                                Hack/Slash.

We also have an interview with artist Walter Flanagan regarding War of
                                the Undead, recently published as a trade paperback by IDW, and some
                                shoutouts to fellow podcasters ComicBookNoise, Thoom!, Quiet!
                                Panelologists at Work and The Nut Gallery.

60 Minutes of Kryptography in 28 MB

Direct Download (iPod not required):
                                http://media.libsyn.com/media/krypto...raphik0014.mp3

Podcatcher feed:
                                http://kryptographik.libsyn.com/rss

iTunes Link:
                                http://phobos.apple.com/WebObjects/M...t?id=213352477

Websites
                                http://www.lordshaper.com/kryptographik/
                                http://www.comicspace.com/kryptographik/
                                http://www.myspace.com/kryptographik/
                                http://kryptographik.ning.com/

Comment

Working...
                                X