X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Lone Ranger
    started a poll Zorro comics MEGATHREAD!

Zorro comics MEGATHREAD!

I do! Please, Dynamite, try to find some way to complete the collection!
    66.67%
    I don't! Forget the old, concentrate just on the new!
    0.00%
    I don't care either way.
    33.33%
    View more answers
    View less answers
    Here's some totally awesome news!

ZORRO MAKES HIS MARK WITH DYNAMITE ENTERTAINMENT
    Dynamite Entertainment to Produce Zorro Comic Book Series

March 21, 2007 Runnemede, NJ - Zorro Productions, Inc. and Dynamite Entertainment are proud to announce the signing of an agreement that will allow for Dynamite to create a new comic book series featuring Zorro! The new Dynamite series will feature not only the masked hero, but also the incredible cast of characters from the venerable Zorro franchise, including fan favorite Lady Rawhide. The agreement allows for Dynamite to also produce a separate Lady Rawhide comic book series.

Created by pulp writer Johnston McCulley, Zorro made his appearance in The Curse of Capistrano, serialized in the pulp magazine All-Story Weekly in 1919. Zorro is a master swordsman who cleverly uses sword, whip and acrobatic skills to defend oppressed people living in the Spanish-era California of the early 1800's. After Zorro's first heroic adventure he became a regular feature in numerous pulp fiction magazines including West and Argosy. His immediate popularity led to Zorro's transition to the silver screen, starring in the the silent film The Mark of Zorro (1920) starring Douglas Fairbanks. Since then, Zorro has been the featured in numerous feature films, television programs, comic books, novels and more. Most recently Zorro has been portrayed by Sir Anthony Hopkins and Antonio Banderas in The Mask of Zorro (1998) and the sequel The Legend of Zorro (2005), with Antonio Banderas.

Dynamite stated, "To have the opportunity to add another powerful, iconic character to our line up is an absolute honor. Taking into consideration the awesome response we've received from our revival of other existing characters and creating high profile comics fans enjoy, this is definitely exciting news. We're speaking with creative teams now, and will make announcements in the near future. Zorro is noted is as one of the earliest ancestors of the modern masked marvels in comics and movies today, and we're certain fans are truly going to enjoy delving into the adventures of one the very first super heroes."

"We're delighted to be partnering with Dynamite for a new Zorro comic series," noted John Gertz, President of Zorro Productions. "Throughout the life of the character, there has been a continual interplay between the printed page and the iconic image of the character. The comic book renditions of Zorro have been an arena for exploration, imagination, and the development of unique storylines and characters. We look forward to that tradition continuing in Dynamites creative hands."

The agreement also allows Dynamite to create fine art and posters, collections of existing material, statues, and other high end collectibles. Details on the creative team and scheduling for the series will be released in the coming weeks.

Zorro® and associated character names, images and other indicia are trademarks of and copyrighted by Zorro Productions, Inc. All rights reserved...

• Guicho
    replied
    Originally posted by Mecha-Gino View Post
    I know, right? I mean I would love to see another crossover with Zorro... It's just I can't think of any other then that recent one with Django.
    At this point this may be the only crossover that helps....
    It'd be funny to see how Dynamite' Zorro "no gun" stance would play out here...

Click image for larger version  Name:	 Views:	1 Size:	80.1 KB ID:	51565

Looks like they squashed any faith or interest in this franchise.
    Does Dynamite have anything new on the horizon planed for Zorro?
    Attached Files
    Last edited by Guicho; 01-12-2018, 07:25 PM.

Leave a comment:

• Guicho
    replied
    Originally posted by pulphero View Post
    Originally posted by Guest View Post
    What is going on with the franchise
    Anything new planned for Zorro?

Dynamite might be scraping the bottom here -
    http://www.dynamite.com/previews/C72...02CovAChin.jpg
    Are they that out of ideas on what to do with the character and name.

Can we get back to some actual Zorro comics..
    How exactly are the Republic Pictures Zorros (or the one from MASKS) any more "actual Zorro" than Lady Zorro or Lady Rawhide? .
    Stopped posting over a year ago (even lost my user name apparently and had to re-register) , as I had nothing that positive to say or post about the direction they were going with Zorro and lack of publication, I let it lapse.
    How is the character and direction you defending been doing since ? Generating allot of sales, allot of buzz on the forum? Or has it been dead?
    That, should tell you how Lady Zorro and Lady Rawhide are different from an "actual Zorro" comic.

So again it'd be nice if Dynamite was publishing some actual Zorro comics.
    Last edited by Guicho; 01-12-2018, 10:11 AM.

Leave a comment:

• pulphero
    replied
    Originally posted by Guicho View Post

It's not really a Zorro comic, apart from a small cameo.

Can we get back to some actual Zorro comics.
    Either in the classic setting.
    Django/Zorro was an actual Zorro comic, although admittedly more Django than Zorro. I enjoyed it though, as much as any of the previous Wagner-written Zorro comics.

Expand on the Pulp Masks era Zorro, although actually using elements form Zorro Rides Again's James (Santiago) Vega incarnation,
    http://i19.photobucket.com/albums/b1...n%201937_1.gif the great grandson of Diego. Who actually existed alongside the pulp era heroes like the Shadow & Hornet etc.
    How exactly are the Republic Pictures Zorros (or the one from MASKS) any more "actual Zorro" than Lady Zorro or Lady Rawhide? They are all spinoff characters, and I don't consider any of them any more "canon" than any other... as opposed to the actual Zorro, Don Diego Vega, who appears in all the previous DE Zorro comics written by Matt Wagner (and Lone Ranger: The Death of Zorro too, for that matter). I'd prefer fewer good Zorro comics (i.e. those written by Wagner) to more spinoff characters written by writers of less talent.

Leave a comment:

Guest replied
    I know, right? I mean I would love to see another crossover with Zorro... It's just I can't think of any other then that recent one with Django.

And I'm still waiting on that Zorro Omnibus that keeps on getting delayed with no date set. I got two sites telling me two different dates and I'm hoping Walmart is right with it hitting us around next week or so.

Leave a comment:

Guest replied

Can we get back to some actual Zorro comics.
    Either in the classic setting.
    or
    Expand on the Pulp Masks era Zorro, although actually using elements form Zorro Rides Again's James (Santiago) Vega incarnation,
    http://i19.photobucket.com/albums/b1...n%201937_1.gif the great grandson of Diego. Who actually existed alongside the pulp era heroes like the Shadow & Hornet etc.
    Last edited by Guicho; 01-18-2016, 09:47 AM.

Leave a comment:

Guest replied
    Originally posted by LetsRollKato View Post
    My pitch is a 12-issue series touching on every version or Zorro from all the media (excluding the GENERATION Z animated series). Movies, movie serials, comics. Don Diego, Don Q, Alejandro Murietta etc. etc.
    That is interesting.

Well, no...Don Diego is Don Diego. Fairbanks, Power, Hadley, Williams, Hopkins...It's all Don Diego.

There are ten Zorro's...

1. Don Diego De la Vega
    2. Don Cesar De la vega (Don Q: Son of Zorro)
    3. Alejandro Murrieta (Mask of Zorro/Legend of Zorro)
    4. Jeff Stewart (Son of Zorro)
    5. Joaquin Murrieta/Ken Mason (Ghost of Zorro)
    6. Randolph Meredith (Zorro's Black Whip)
    7. Barbara Meredith (Zorro's Black Whip)
    8. James Vega (Zorro Rides Again)
    9. Rafael Vega (MASKS depending, of course, on the outcome of the series)
    10. Jackson Mason (original creation for this story)

I'm curious, how are you connecting these two? "Joaquin Murrieta/Ken Mason"?
    Are you suggesting this is Joaquin the son of Alejandro & Eléna De La Vega, who grows up and changes his name to Ken Mason in Ghost of Zorro?

Or would this be an (unknown retroactive) descendant of Joaquin Murrieta, Alejandro Murrieta's brother?
    Last edited by Guicho; 01-16-2016, 10:27 AM.

Leave a comment:

Guest replied
    Originally posted by ChastMastr View Post
    Maybe it's just the story they want to tell, for whatever reason.
    "Whatever reason", ok

I guess Tornado does not really need an origin, but there are some out there.
    I still don't know or remember if Disney (who I believe first named the horse) Filmation, Topps, or Marvel Comics for that matter or Don McGregor ever gave him one.
    I'm just curious to know what they all are?
    Re: have since read a few more McCulley, by the 2nd -3rd story he was referring to the horse specifically as "The Black" I do believe it is Disney who first named him Tornado, although McCulley was writing consultant on the show, it could have come from him.
    As far as I know Disney also gave him the first origin of sorts, Diego pretty much just explains he raised Tornado from a colt, and a shepherd was keeping him in what looks like a secret boxed valley, until his return from Spain.
    He doesn't say where he got him, but neither Bernardo or even his own father is aware of the horse's existence.
    Allende seems to have created the first extensive origin for Tornado.
    Last edited by Guicho; 11-17-2015, 08:38 AM.

Leave a comment:

Guest replied
    The discussion becomes why would Dynamite according to you "want" to perpetuate this?
    I have no idea. That would be up to whoever the decision-maker(s) at Dynamite is/are. Maybe it's just the story they want to tell, for whatever reason.

Leave a comment:

Guest replied
    So as not to derail MasksII thread, my point there was to someone suggesting Zorro didn't fit with the Masks time period, to indicate that there does exits a great Zorro incarnation that fits in well. Just that Dynamite failed to use him.
    http://i19.photobucket.com/albums/b1...ain%201937.gif - Zorro Rides Again's James (Santiago) Vega, the great grandson of Diego.

Since he's not actually in the book, I'm replying to your post here...

Originally posted by ChastMastr View Post
    Maybe they just don't want a Zorro who uses guns. *shrug*
    LOL! Well, obviously. My question becomes why they want that then?
    Or where they even got that?
    Especially since some of the most popular iconic incarnations McCulley, Fairbanks, Power, Williams(Disney)Toth, and others as indicated, all had him use guns.
    And Dynamite seems invested in the truer, grittier, back to the pulpy incarnations of most their characters, why would Dynamite take this bizarre stance with one character?
    It doesn't fit. It seems antithetical to their whole line of pulp inspired books, and worse to the character itself - who used the most "modern" weapons of his time available.
    My fear is it's just out of blatant ignorance of the character, which is a shame.
    Someone earlier suggested it was Zorro productions Inc. forcing this stance on Dynamite, yet their previous comic license with Papercutz (a more kid friendly version) - http://i.imgur.com/ZE9UhI3.jpg?1- Zorro Inc. has no problem with it.
    So it's not Zorro Inc.
    It's only Dynamite comics who do, or maybe the main Zorro Editor at Dynamite who does?
    It seems like a modern misconception of the character. The discussion becomes why would Dynamite according to you "want" to perpetuate this?
    Last edited by Guicho; 10-23-2015, 04:12 PM.

Leave a comment:

Guest replied
    Good work.

Leave a comment:

Guest replied
    Two bits! Four bits! Six bits! A peso!
    All for Zorro... stand up and say so!

I'm sorry, I couldn't resist...

Leave a comment:

Guest replied
    AH! Gotcha.

Leave a comment:

• positronic
    replied
    Well, in MASK OF ZORRO Alejandro Murrieta (ZORRO III) marries Don Diego's daughter Elena and they have a son, Joaquin (who is a spunky little kid in LEGEND OF ZORRO).
    Right, but I thought you were saying all those on your list were blood relations. Alejandro is not. That's what I originally meant when I said that all the Zorros were not necessarily direct descendants or even blood relations. Joaquin is, but Alejandro isn't. I thought you were saying Alejandro had some sort of cousin or second-cousin relationship (otherwise marrying Zorro's daughter would be a little incestuous). And even though he eventually marries into the bloodline, he isn't part of it when he becomes Zorro.
    Last edited by positronic; 04-21-2013, 12:49 AM.

Leave a comment:

Guest replied
    Well, in MASK OF ZORRO Alejandro Murrieta (ZORRO III) marries Don Diego's daughter Elena and they have a son, Joaquin (who is a spunky little kid in LEGEND OF ZORRO).

Leave a comment:

Working...
X