SUPERPOWERS Hero Speculation/History

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• SUPERPOWERS Hero Speculation/History

Based on this image (which I have to post again due to it's sheer awesomeness):

and discussions at Newsarama, here are some of the forgotten Golden Age Heroes I expect we'll see in this series, with links to what background info I could find for them. A few may be incorrect, and a couple in the pic I don't know or I believe are new (i.e. The American Spirit), but I think I got alot of them.

The Black Terror

The Death Defying ‘Devil (Daredevil)

The Green Lama

Masquerade (Miss Masque)

The Arrow

Pyroman

The Flame

The Crusaders (based off of the American Crusader)

Mighty Samson

The Face

The Owl

The Scarab
    Last edited by MadMikeyD; 07-19-2007, 02:27 PM.
    DECODER RING THEATRE
    EDGAR RICE BURROUGHS
    PROJECT SUPERPOWERS DATABASE
    PUBLIC DOMAIN SUPER HEROES

Seems very interesting!

Comment

Originally posted by pvehk
      Seems very interesting!
      indeed it does whos the dude with the boomerangs?

Comment

Originally posted by magnus robot fighter
        indeed it does whos the dude with the boomerangs?
        The dude with the boomerangs is the original Daredevil. Apparently, with Marvel holding trademark on the Daredevil name, he is going to be called the Death Defying 'Devil.
        DECODER RING THEATRE
        EDGAR RICE BURROUGHS

Comment

Originally posted by MadMikeyD
          allow me to be the first to suggest mighty samson as the first superpowers spin off

never mind i thought this was the GOLD KEY mighty samson THATS the one i want brought back
          Last edited by magnus robot fighter; 07-27-2007, 05:52 PM.

Comment

Here ya go....Mikey you are a terrific source, Samson was a Gold Key title I'd often seen but I did not equate it with the Superpowers Samson...very interesting.
            http://www.kitscomics.com/ms/ms.htm
            Thanks
            Ranger01

Comment

Actually, I may have made an error on that one. I am not sure if the Gold Key Samson I cited and the Samson who appeared in Fantastic Comics are the same character. It appears this Samson - Samson of Fantastic Comics - is the one the Superpowers character will be based off of. On a side note, Fantastic Comics and the Samson character are among the first scheduled to be brought back by Image's new "Next Issue Project."
              DECODER RING THEATRE
              EDGAR RICE BURROUGHS

Comment

I think Masquerade may be a combination of "The Woman in Red" and her reboot, "Miss Masque", rather than just a direct carry over of Miss Masque. Note that the costume is more along the lines of The Woman in Red's.

Check out Don Markstein's Toonopedia entry on The Woman in Red

I've found Don Markstein's Toonopedia to be an excellent resource on older characters [both in comics and animation] like are getting used in SUPERPOWERS.

I'm not entirely sure that the guy flying in the upper right corner [about the 1 o'clock position] is The Owl - even though he seems a very good candidate. He might also be The Black Owl [Toonopedia Entry] although neither character had any superpowers. Prize Publications had licensed the Green Lama for awhile and both characters {along with others Prize Comics characters} participated in a crossover in Prize Comics #24 to fight Frankenstein. According to the Toonopedia Entry on Prize's Frankestein, he was a rampaging monster and 10 issues after the team-up he was brain-washed to fight against the Nazis. So perhaps it's Prize's Frankenstein that's the inspiration for the "F-Troop" that Ross mentioned in the Newsarama interview.

I'm definitely excited about this project - it sounds like it's going to be an interesting story and fun to read.
                Last edited by The Shadow; 07-23-2007, 10:19 PM.

Comment

Working...
                X