Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

I know these characters are public domain but...

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I know these characters are public domain but...

...doesn't anone think it's just a little bit coincidental that Dark Horse decide to print the Complete Green Lama hardcover in April next year?

http://www.comicscontinuum.com/stori.../greenlama.htm

i thinkthe original version of green lama is in the reprint book not dynamites version

Comment

Coincidence? Maybe. They are also releasing a "Classic Comic Book Character" figurine of the Lama around the same time. With so many of these Golden Age/Public Domain projects happening relatively close to each other it may honestly be a coincidence. I hope it sparks a trend and we see Complete Daredevil, Black Terror, Fighting Yank, etc. volumes in the future. That being said, as much as I'd love to have these, at $50 a pop (for each of 2 Lama volumes) the price just may be too high for me. Perhaps DE (or somebody) will produce more affordable TPB reprints in the future.
      DECODER RING THEATRE
      EDGAR RICE BURROUGHS
      PROJECT SUPERPOWERS DATABASE
      PUBLIC DOMAIN SUPER HEROES

Comment

Originally posted by MadMikeyD
        Coincidence? Maybe. They are also releasing a "Classic Comic Book Character" figurine of the Lama around the same time. With so many of these Golden Age/Public Domain projects happening relatively close to each other it may honestly be a coincidence. I hope it sparks a trend and we see Complete Daredevil, Black Terror, Fighting Yank, etc. volumes in the future. That being said, as much as I'd love to have these, at $50 a pop (for each of 2 Lama volumes) the price just may be too high for me. Perhaps DE (or somebody) will produce more affordable TPB reprints in the future.
        correction MMD thats deathdefyin devil

Comment

MMD is correct - the character is named Daredevil. Dynamite is using Death Defying 'Devil [note the apostraphe, indicating a shortened word] since Marvel used the name [and some aspects of the original character] at a time when the original company wasn't around or wouldn't object to it's use.

Marvel did the same with Ghost Rider - although with him they tried using the character as he was originally, but soon scrapped everything but the name in favor of the character people are familiar with today.

Captain Marvel was a similar case - although Marvel only has the trademark on 'Captain Marvel'. For whatever reason Marvel didn't try using any aspects of the character - DC would eventually buy the copyrights on the character from Fawcett outright.
          Last edited by The Shadow; 11-18-2007, 11:44 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by The Shadow
            MMD is correct - the character is named Daredevil. Dynamite is using Death Defying 'Devil [note the apostraphe, indicating a shortened word] since Marvel used the name [and some aspects of the original character] at a time when the original company wasn't around or wouldn't object to it's use.

Marvel did the same with Ghost Rider - although with him they tried using the character as he was originally, but soon scrapped everything but the name in favor of the character people are familiar with today.

Captain Marvel was a similar case - although Marvel only has the trademark on 'Captain Marvel'. For whatever reason Marvel didn't try using any aspects of the character - DC would eventually buy the copyrights on the character from Fawcett outright.
            i was referring to triple d as death defyin' devil to DIFFERENTEATE him from counsellor murdocks alter ego

Comment

Green Lama Radio

Originally posted by Hawkangel
              ...doesn't anone think it's just a little bit coincidental that Dark Horse decide to print the Complete Green Lama hardcover in April next year?

http://www.comicscontinuum.com/stori.../greenlama.htm
              WOW!

SO COOL

AND MY FAVORITE GREEN LAMA COVER IN FRONT TOO

I am so getting this one

NOW THAT IS WHAT I CALL CLEVER REPRINT TIMING

Anybody, not to late for some golden age BLACK TERROR

PS: If anyone in interested, I uploaded 4 old time classic RADIO EPISODES of the Green Lama series, all good stuff to hear

http://bedardrenaud.googlepages.com/greenlama

However long this last, it's pretty much also public domain, but grab em while still there

Comment

I would also be interested in old classic golden age Daredevil Archives, where ever from, on thick quality paper only and nothing else

At least Dark Horse uses very good paper quality it their hardcovers, at least, unlike others that imitate DC in cheap useless thin quality

Very glad someone finally has the balls to bring more golden age comics reprints
                Last edited by Renaud; 11-20-2007, 11:36 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Renaud
                  PS: If anyone in interested, I uploaded 4 old time classic RADIO EPISODES of the Green Lama series, all good stuff to hear

However long this last, it's pretty much also public domain, but grab em while still there
                  Thanks for that link. I've been trying to find "The Case of the Perfect Prisoner" for a long time. Most sites only have those other three episodes.
                  DECODER RING THEATRE
                  EDGAR RICE BURROUGHS

Comment

Thanks for that link. I've been trying to find "The Case of the Perfect Prisoner" for a long time. Most sites only have those other three episodes.
                    No problem,

And if anyone has the rest of the 11 Green Lama Radio episodes, let us know, I would certainly be interested in hearing them all; if anyone has links to other episodes, post the link here, or on my site, in the ultra advance Guestbook , not to call it a board

PS: If you go back to my main google page, you'll see an other link for Boston Blackie Radio episodes, as much of the best I could put up; I got 4 CD-ROM filled with different old Radio shows in MP3, from The Shadow, Doc Savage, The Avenger, Green Hornet, Green Lama, Blue Beettle, X-1, Whistler, Suspense, Boston Blackie, Superman, Lone Ranger, Gunsmoke, Abbott & Costello, Blondie, Lux Radio Theatre, War Of The Worlds(Wells)... Whistler has some real spooky ones, but those Google accounts only give 100mb max
                    Last edited by Renaud; 11-21-2007, 12:40 AM.

Comment

And if anyone has the rest of the 11 Green Lama Radio episodes, let us know, I would certainly be interested in hearing them all; if anyone has links to other episodes, post the link here, or on my site, in the ultra advance Guestbook , not to call it a board
                      Yes, please do. Most sources indicate that only those four official episodes still exist. There's also an audition recording (like a television pilot) of "The Man Who Never Existed" out there somewhere, but there's 7 other episodes that are still missing.

On another note, I won't link to it since it's from another company and not reprint material, but AC Comics has beaten DE (and Dark Horse) to the punch on the Green Lama. Issues #0 and #1 of their new Green Lama series are solicited for March, but available online now.
                      Last edited by MadMikeyD; 11-25-2007, 02:28 AM.
                      DECODER RING THEATRE
                      EDGAR RICE BURROUGHS

Comment

I just posted a 5th radio episode, more like a 1997 recreation, of one of the old classics using the old radio script; music is a little simplistic with only piano ambiance, but the story is good enough for me to post it, as so far I have not heard a single bad Green Lama radio episode

- Green Lama 1949-08-13 The Case Of The Dangerous Dog

Last edited by Renaud; 11-25-2007, 09:30 AM.

Comment

On another note, I won't link to it since it's from another company and not reprint material, but AC Comics has beaten DE (and Dark Horse) to the punch on the Green Lama. Issues #0 and #1 of their new Green Lama series are solicited for March, but available online now.
                          I saw some covers of that, and I think Alex Ross is going to be my favorite option; I just hope Dynamite reprint those of better thicker paper quality hardcovers that the Lone Ranger was, which was way too thin like DC Comics regular HC. If Dynamite wants to take example from, they should pay attention at Marvel hardcovers instead. I know Alex Ross will be P!$$#% if his work only gets collected in a small cheapy thin stuff, I know I would

Back to the topic, I don't think one reprint from old classics from Dark Horse or other stuff elsewhere will hurt this Superpowers series at all, but more like they's going to be a free promotion more than anything else where all will benifit from
                          Last edited by Renaud; 11-25-2007, 09:47 AM.

Comment

I just posted a 5th radio episode, more like a 1997 recreation, of one of the old classics using the old radio script; music is a little simplistic with only piano ambiance, but the story is good enough for me to post it, as so far I have not heard a single bad Green Lama radio episode

- Green Lama 1949-08-13 The Case Of The Dangerous Dog

I just listened to it. The Gotham Radio Players actually did a really good job re-creating that, IMO. Did they do any of the others that you know of? I haven't heard a bad Green Lama yet either (of course we've probably heard the same 5 shows), although I don't picture the comic book Green Lama when I listen. For some reason I always picture him in a tux rather than green robes. Like Batman working as Bruce Wayne instead of in the batsuit. I don't know why.
                            DECODER RING THEATRE
                            EDGAR RICE BURROUGHS

Comment

I just listened to it. The Gotham Radio Players actually did a really good job re-creating that, IMO. Did they do any of the others that you know of? I haven't heard a bad Green Lama yet either (of course we've probably heard the same 5 shows), although I don't picture the comic book Green Lama when I listen. For some reason I always picture him in a tux rather than green robes. Like Batman working as Bruce Wayne instead of in the batsuit. I don't know why.
                              That's all I got right now, until an other lucky break like "The Case Of The Dangerous Dog" recreation; I'm afraid that the rest if it still exists, might only be in the form of old scratched down records in private collections and scattered in antique shops... Maybe they should do more recreations based on the original scripts
                              Last edited by Renaud; 11-26-2007, 03:12 PM.

Comment

Working...
                              X