Superpowers: Origins?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Superpowers: Origins?

Here's my suggestion for some Golden Age reprints. Dark Horse is taking the "Complete Archive" route with Green Lama, to include all the back-up features from the Lama's solo series (but none of his appearances from Prize Comics). In Joe's interview on Collected Comics Library, he indicated DE may go the way of reprinting origin stories and other "key" appearances (of course pending the success of Superpowers and demand for such material). My thought - how about a series of one-shots a'la DC's old Secret Origins title. Under the blanket of "Superpowers: Origins," each issue would focus on one character - (Dare)Devil, Black Terror, Fighting Yank, Green Lama, etc. Each issue could collect the character's origin story and probably two other "key" appearances. Most Golden Age tales are 8-12 pages, so 2 or 3 should fit in a one-shot pretty easily. I'd buy it.
    DECODER RING THEATRE
    EDGAR RICE BURROUGHS
    PROJECT SUPERPOWERS DATABASE
    PUBLIC DOMAIN SUPER HEROES

Originally posted by MadMikeyD
    Here's my suggestion for some Golden Age reprints. Dark Horse is taking the "Complete Archive" route with Green Lama, to include all the back-up features from the Lama's solo series (but none of his appearances from Prize Comics). In Joe's interview on Collected Comics Library, he indicated DE may go the way of reprinting origin stories and other "key" appearances (of course pending the success of Superpowers and demand for such material). My thought - how about a series of one-shots a'la DC's old Secret Origins title. Under the blanket of "Superpowers: Origins," each issue would focus on one character - (Dare)Devil, Black Terror, Fighting Yank, Green Lama, etc. Each issue could collect the character's origin story and probably two other "key" appearances. Most Golden Age tales are 8-12 pages, so 2 or 3 should fit in a one-shot pretty easily. I'd buy it.
    Not to be mean towards Dynamite, but as I posted on the Dark Horse board after the news of their Green Lama hardcover achives edition coming up, maybe someone will catch on, even DC, anyone, I hope someome is getting serious about reprinting some of those in high quality hardcovers, thick paper, good restoration, and all...

- THE SHADOW COMICS GOLDEN AGE HARDCOVER ARCHIVES
    - DOC SAVAGE COMICS GOLDEN AGE HARDCOVER ARCHIVES
    - GREEN HORNET COMICS GOLDEN AGE HARDCOVER ARCHIVES
    - DAREDEVIL COMICS GOLDEN AGE HARDCOVER ARCHIVES
    - BLACK TERROR COMICS GOLDEN AGE HARDCOVER ARCHIVES
    - GHOST RIDER WESTERN COMICS GOLDEN AGE HARDCOVER ARCHIVES (not Marvel)

Not sure at this time if Dynamite has the capability and resources to make high quality golden age comics reprints, but if they do at similar reasonable price and conditions as others do, I would be interested
    Last edited by Renaud; 11-28-2007, 12:47 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Renaud
      Not to be mean towards Dynamite, but as I posted on the Dark Horse board after the news of their Green Lama hardcover achives edition coming up, maybe someone will catch on, even DC, anyone, I hope someome is getting serious about reprinting some of those in high quality hardcovers, thick paper, good restoration, and all...
      Agreed, that's a great idea. However, knowing I'm most likely not going to be able to plop down $50 a pop for such things, and taking what Joe said, this is an alternative suggestion for us poor folks .
      DECODER RING THEATRE
      EDGAR RICE BURROUGHS

Comment

Darn you beat me to the punch...
        Anyway, I posted in another thread that I've printed off alot of these Golden Age 'first appearance' issues and I've gonna get them bound into a hardcover book.

Comment

Originally posted by Renaud

- THE SHADOW COMICS GOLDEN AGE HARDCOVER ARCHIVES
          - DOC SAVAGE COMICS GOLDEN AGE HARDCOVER ARCHIVES
          - GREEN HORNET COMICS GOLDEN AGE HARDCOVER ARCHIVES

Conde Nast owns all of Street & Smith's catalog/copyrights/trademarks [The Shadow and Doc Savage being the two most prominient and influential] and everything is still in effect.

Last year comic industry veteran and Shadow historian Anthony Tollin picked up reprint rights for The Shadow and Doc Savage pulp stories. Mr. Tollin teamed up with Nostalgia Ventures and reprints have been released steadily reprinting them since the summer of 2006.

I'm not sure what all his reprint rights include - but he may at least be able to offer insight as far as who to talk about getting the Shadow and Doc Savage Golden Age comics reprinted.

Anthony Tollin can be contacted through the official website for the reprints: http://www.shadowsanctum.com/

The rights and trademarks for the Green Hornet are still in effect too. The official site, http://www.thegreenhornet.com , is sparse but does have contact information on it.
          Last edited by The Shadow; 11-30-2007, 12:01 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Hawkangel
            Darn you beat me to the punch...
            Anyway, I posted in another thread that I've printed off alot of these Golden Age 'first appearance' issues and I've gonna get them bound into a hardcover book.
            I've been considering doing that as well. Putting together either an "Origins"-type volume with all the characters I really like - Black Terror, Fighting Yank, Daredevil, Green Lama, and others, or collecting a bunch of stories of each and dedicating one volume to each character. Problem is I can find a ton of stuff for some characters (i.e. Black Terror, Fighting Yank), and almost nothing for others (i.e. Daredevil, Green Lama).
            DECODER RING THEATRE
            EDGAR RICE BURROUGHS

Comment

Originally posted by The Shadow
              Conde Nast owns all of Street & Smith's catalog/copyrights/trademarks [The Shadow and Doc Savage being the two most prominient and influential] and everything is still in effect.

Last year comic industry veteran and Shadow historian Anthony Tollin picked up reprint rights for The Shadow and Doc Savage pulp stories. Mr. Tollin teamed up with Nostalgia Ventures and reprints have been released steadily reprinting them since the summer of 2006.

I'm not sure what all his reprint rights include - but he may at least be able to offer insight as far as who to talk about getting the Shadow and Doc Savage Golden Age comics reprinted.

Anthony Tollin can be contacted through the official website for the reprints: http://www.shadowsanctum.com/

The rights and trademarks for the Green Hornet are still in effect too. The official site, http://www.thegreenhornet.com , is sparse but does have contact information on it.
              I bought every Shadow and Doc Savage pulp stories reprinted by Nostalgia Ventures; all though I would have prefered a few fat omnibus hardcover archives of those, rather than 2 in 1, more like 10 in 1 deluxe editions, high grade paper and all, but those Double Pulp books are still worth picking, if only for lack of anything else. The Spider, also an other cool character is also getting similar treatment I hear, still waiting for those orders to come in

But if Dynamite can make us some high quality golden age hardcover archives with good thick paper of characters related to Superpowers, I'm all for it, whether a mixed bag of characters, whole issues like Marvel golden age Masterworks, or solo achives

And again I suggest for Dynamite to release a few Superpowers tie-ins stories related to solo characters and secure for themselves some title rights; too late for the Green Lama, all though that doesn't prevent his appearance an Dynamite under an other title, even one suggested here in other threads, but still Dynamite could easily secure for themselves titles like Black Terror, and many others

And if no other way I could handle a Green Lama title like

"Om Mani Padme Hum!"

All though a spelling check might be necessary, as I don't know much about Tibetan language :-)
              Last edited by Renaud; 12-01-2007, 12:01 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by MadMikeyD
                i like the idea

Comment

Golden Age Reprints

I would be for Reprinting the adventures of these Golden Age Heroes....but the problem would be that ... at $50 a "pop" .....these Archive editions would soon become too expensive for me!!

I would like to see the GA stories in a format like "The Batman Chronicles" that DC puts out. $15 a book,... in color... would be far more affordable... and I would think... far more attractive to a larger fan base in purchasing those books.!!
                  To price them at $50... is going to put them out of range of many of today's fans... many of whom... don't seem very interested in the Golden Age. A more affordable book may make the books more desirable to more people.

Certainly for me. I would love to read the Adventures of Dare... ah.... the death-defying 'Devil... Battles Hitler....and many of his early adventures.!!

The same with a lot of the heroes that Super Powers will feature: Black Terror, Pyroman, The Flame, ....and the others....but some MORE THAN others.
                  A compilation of the less popular heroes would also attract me. Some of these heroes probably couldn't "carry" a $15 book. That's where a "compilation" of stories of the less popular heroes would make the books more attractive.

Also, the 80-page comic book Annual format could be a consideration.!! A $5 book may also be attractive to more of the fan base.

Anyway, it's an exciting idea!! I hope something affordable happens!!
                  Last edited by captainzero; 12-17-2007, 04:06 AM.

Comment

Action Figured Super-Powers

While I'm here... I also want to throw out, again,--- the idea that I sure would like to see.

SuperPowers action figures.... WOW!!! To have 6" action figures of 'Devil (with a boomerrang), Black Terror, Tim, Fighting Yank, Doc Strange, Mike, Pyroman, Princess Pantha, The Grim Reaper, Masqerade, The American Eagle,the Eaglet, The American Crusader, Green Lama, the Flame and the others. It would be "Great" to have these heroes in Action Figures.
                    (and I would humbly suggest one group of sculptors... the Four Horsemen... to do the figures.)
                    Well, I suggested it, again. Why not have the best sculpt these great Golden Age Heroes??? The Four Horsemen do a great job.!! Somebody should be pitching this idea. Hope you've thought about it.

Thanks!

Comment

Returning to the subject of Golden Age reprints, here's a suggestion for a first issue of my "Origins" idea. Start with (Dare)Devil. He seems to be the frontrunner in popularity coming off of #0. Present one of his origin stories - whichever is more relevant to the Superpowers Universe. Then collect his 5-issue battle with the Claw. The first battle between them (Silver Streak Comics #7) has been reprinted several times, but I don't know if the other 4 parts (Silver Streak #8-11) have ever been reprinted, and I'm pretty sure they've never been collected. I would like to read the complete story, as opposed to just the one or two parts I've found so far.
                      DECODER RING THEATRE
                      EDGAR RICE BURROUGHS

Comment

Working...
                      X