My take on Project Superpowers

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• My take on Project Superpowers

I am viewing Project Superpowers as a new universe with new and exciting charactors. I personaly could care less about the small print stuff these heroes and villains did back in the 40's, it is basicly irrelevant as half of these charactors didn't really make a splash in the golden age anyway it would be like caring about what a professional wrestler did in some local wrestling company before he made it to the pro's, it's basicly irrelevant. I do enjoy golden age heroes and whatnot, but since these guys were kind of obscure then, its easy for me not to count it and view what they do now their starting point.

My take on Project Superpowers is these are fresh, new and untapped heroes and villains who are going to embark on new adventures and bring a brand new comicbook universe to the masses. I am excited for whats to come, ongoing series, mini series, universe spanning epics and exciting crossovers, there really is a work of potential here. I do wish Dynamite the best with their universe launch.
    Dynamite Entertainment
    Forum Administrator

Check out Dynamite on Twitter here!

I agree that this is basically a new universe with 'new' characters in the sense that these guys are new to the majority of their current readership. I will disagree that all of these guys are obscure and 'didn't make a splash.' In the 1940s some of these guys were huge. Daredevil, Black Terror, and Fighting Yank were all big sellers. Green Lama first appeared in pulps, was published in comics by two different companies, and had a short-lived radio show. Yes, some of these guys were little more than a blip (Superpowers #0 was the second comic appearance ever for the Green Giant), but some of these guys were also pretty significant in their day.
    DECODER RING THEATRE
    EDGAR RICE BURROUGHS
    PROJECT SUPERPOWERS DATABASE
    PUBLIC DOMAIN SUPER HEROES

Comment

I also wanted to say that I fell calling their Golden Age stories "irrelevant" does them a disservice. True, a lot of these characters are now altered somewhat - and differently by different publishers - but the new stuff is built from the old stuff. The Black Terror's Golden Age origin story IS his origin story. Daredevil's rivalry with the Claw is the basis for that entire plot-line. Maybe those old stories aren't required reading, but I wouldn't call them irrelevant. Those are the "official histories" of these great characters. (If you couldn't tell, I'm kind of into researching these characters' histories and respecting what has gone before.)
      Last edited by MadMikeyD; 08-08-2008, 06:26 PM.
      DECODER RING THEATRE
      EDGAR RICE BURROUGHS

Comment

My apolagies, I should have explained that to me their golden age history is irrelevant and I plan to only recognize what goes foward from issue #0. Sorry for the confusion.
        Dynamite Entertainment
        Forum Administrator

Comment

No apologies are neccessary. I knew what you meant. I just wanted to throw my two cents in. I'm just really interested in the history of these old characters (the Superpowers characters, Lone Ranger, Zorro, etc), and of comics themselves. I find it all quite fascinating. To each their own. I apologize if I came across as irritated - that was not my intent. To each their own...
          DECODER RING THEATRE
          EDGAR RICE BURROUGHS

Comment

I apologize if I came across as irritated - that was not my intent. To each their own...[/QUOTE]

This happens to Mad Mike quite often...once he got irritated in a tent, then claimed it wasn't his tent

Seriously, he's a very IN tense sort of guy!

I think he might have even been a boy scout once, they're always IN tents.

Ranger 01

Comment

I actually do enjoy quite a bit of golden age stuff though. I have a lot of the hard cover Marvel masterworks and the DC archives. I love the golden age, but for these charactors I plan on recognizing their actions as of issue 0. I do somewhat consider myself as somewhat of a comics historian, or more of a DC historian really.
              Dynamite Entertainment
              Forum Administrator

Comment

Originally posted by Ranger01
                This happens to Mad Mike quite often...once he got irritated in a tent, then claimed it wasn't his tent

Seriously, he's a very IN tense sort of guy!

I think he might have even been a boy scout once, they're always IN tents.
                Nope - not a boy scout. But the army has given me plenty of time in tents...
                DECODER RING THEATRE
                EDGAR RICE BURROUGHS

Comment

Characters with a bit of depth and richness of character

Originally posted by MadMikeyD
                  I also wanted to say that I fell calling their Golden Age stories "irrelevant" does them a disservice. True, a lot of these characters are now altered somewhat - and differently by different publishers - but the new stuff is built from the old stuff. The Black Terror's Golden Age origin story IS his origin story. Daredevil's rivalry with the Claw is the basis for that entire plot-line. Maybe those old stories aren't required reading, but I wouldn't call them irrelevant. Those are the "official histories" of these great characters. (If you couldn't tell, I'm kind of into researching these characters' histories and respecting what has gone before.)
                  I agree, Mikey. I love the fact that these (SP) heroes have their histories in the Golden Age.
                  To me, ... it gives them a richness that other, more recent, heroes just don't have.
                  It gives my imagination "fodder" to chew on.
                  Does Skyman know Mr. Face??(From Big Shot Comics)
                  What was the relationship between Samson, The Flame, and "Big Blue"(Blue Beetle).... and why did V-Man step up ... and team up with Big Blue and the Flame in BIG 3 #7??? What happened to Samson?? Was there a "falling out" between the original BIG 3???

What adventure brought together The Black Terror, Doc Strange, The American Eagle, and PyroMan??? (from the America's Best Comics #10 cover.)

How close of friends were Silver Streak and 'Devil???
                  What was the adventure that brought together The Black Terror, Doc Strange, and The Fighting Yank.... as they stormed the beaches ???(from America's Best Comics #9)

What will bring THE CLAW and the 'Devil back together... to face each other... with one of the greatest grudge-matches in comic book history... in the offing??? Do The 'Devil and Silver Streak remember their battle against Hitler and THE CLAW??

Where has THE CLAW been???

Will Jim and Alex or whoever.... tell the tales of some of these great covers where the Golden Age heroes have teamed up together?? That would be fun to see... plus it would build on their legendary status of fighting in the War...and building relationships between some of the characters. I hope these 1940's adventures WILL be told.... it would help "flesh-out" the characters ... and their relationships to each other. (which is always fun to understand who is really friends with who... and who doesn't quite get along with someone else. Provided it's done in a sophisicated and reasoned way.)

Yea, ... these are the things I sometimes think about!! And in some strange way, it gives these heroes more depth of character... of experience... than a newer hero that doesn't have all this "background".

For me..... "Depth" and "richness"!! I would also love to see some of their adventures reprinted... Covers and all.!!
                  Even better... showing those covers and how they are related to the new "retro" stories told about those heroes. What is the story behind the covers!!!?!!
                  Last edited by captainzero; 08-18-2008, 11:48 PM.

Comment

Heroes from the golden age

You hit the mark very close to where I come from. I'm probably more interested in stores from the 1940's than story taking place today. I would rather see the Devil, Crimebuster and Silver Streak stories told about these guys together in the 1940's than getting together today.

Comment

That would not be good for long term story usage. They are tryingvto build a cohiesive universe, not tell old stories.
                      Dynamite Entertainment
                      Forum Administrator

Comment

So are you saying that you can't have a cohiesive universe with old stories? I would think that old stories - whether they be the original tales or new stories set in the '40s (which I think Glen might be talking about) - would add to the universe rather than take away from it. Every character has a history, even if that history gets created along with their present (case in point - Wolverine). Why not explore the past as we build the future?
                        DECODER RING THEATRE
                        EDGAR RICE BURROUGHS

Comment

Maybe their histories could b explored in a 6 issue mini series or something, but the actual universe should be what it is now. To touch on it would be smart, but to make it your sole product would not be.
                          Dynamite Entertainment
                          Forum Administrator

Comment

That's all I'm saying. Let the main story go forward, but don't comepletely ignore their pasts. I don't even need mini-series, just a "Secret Origins" type one-shot on a character will suffice. I don't want Dynamite to become a "reprint company." I just believe there is enough interest in these characters now to at least take a look at their history.
                            DECODER RING THEATRE
                            EDGAR RICE BURROUGHS

Comment

Well, since they seem to want Project Superpowers to be a yearly 8 issue maxi series, after the next series for the third installment they could do the origin stories. But all in all they need to focus on getting some ongoing series for their characters. Project Superpowers 3 would be a cool way to introduce the origin stories. Each book could showcase 2 heroes or villains.
                              Dynamite Entertainment
                              Forum Administrator

Comment

Working...
                              X