X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• comixfan1980
    started a topic My take on Project Superpowers

My take on Project Superpowers

I am viewing Project Superpowers as a new universe with new and exciting charactors. I personaly could care less about the small print stuff these heroes and villains did back in the 40's, it is basicly irrelevant as half of these charactors didn't really make a splash in the golden age anyway it would be like caring about what a professional wrestler did in some local wrestling company before he made it to the pro's, it's basicly irrelevant. I do enjoy golden age heroes and whatnot, but since these guys were kind of obscure then, its easy for me not to count it and view what they do now their starting point.

My take on Project Superpowers is these are fresh, new and untapped heroes and villains who are going to embark on new adventures and bring a brand new comicbook universe to the masses. I am excited for whats to come, ongoing series, mini series, universe spanning epics and exciting crossovers, there really is a work of potential here. I do wish Dynamite the best with their universe launch.

• comixfan1980
    replied
    The problem with reprinting old material and putting it out in trade format or single issue can be summed up in 2 steps.

1. DE is falling behind on street dates as it is, putting out all this material either in trade format or whatever would slow down the process of getting the new stuff out. Once more staff is brought on it would be smarter, but not now.

2. It won't sell well. Average comic book readers aren't going to buy it, some may but it will mostly be the hardcore of the hardcore PS fans. Again, it would be smarter to do this WAY down the road once the characters are established with everyone, not just fans of the series as it is now. It would be a sales risk.

Leave a comment:

• MadMikeyD
    replied
    Originally posted by Ghornet2
    does anybody have a list of what books the origins appeared in. I know it's not always the first appearance.
    I started such a list here:

ORIGINS LIST

Leave a comment:

• Ghornet2
    replied
    Secret Origins

I wasn't sure what kind of art they would need which is why I said artwork might be a problem. I've read quite a few of the online stories. does anybody have a list of what books the origins appeared in. I know it's not always the first appearance.

Maybe DEcould focus on each publisher if they do reprints.

Leave a comment:

• MadMikeyD
    replied
    Originally posted by Ghornet2
    Not having the original artwork might be a problem.
    There are plenty of scans of those old comics available online. I'd guess publishers mostly use scans these days to clean up old artwork for reprints. I'd like to see color reprints ala the old Secret Origins series, where they actually reprinted the origins instead of retelling. Each issue could focus on one or two characters and reprint origin stories and other important tales. I prefer reprints to retellings, although I was happy to see the brief retelling of Yank's origin in #6, with minimal alterations.
    Last edited by MadMikeyD; 09-28-2008, 03:58 PM.

Leave a comment:

• Ghornet2
    replied
    Flashbacks

Flashbacks would be good for establishing the history of the characters. DE seems to be having a little bit of a problem keeping their titles on time so I doubt we'll see reptints. A mini series retelling origins and key moments might be more likely.
    Of course reprints eliminats the need for artists and writers. They just need an editor to put them together. Not having the original artwork might be a problem.

Leave a comment:

Guest replied
    Originally posted by jsf
    I was thinking about the old/new stories debate from earlier in the thread, and thought there are two ways to handle this.

1) DE could reprint some of the older material (for us fans who've never read it) in a floppy form, say the way Marvel has with those two "the Twelve" specials (which had GA stories about the Flaming Mask, Rockman, etc).

2) They could use a Starman/Iron Fist "flashback" approach. I always enjoyed the stories in Starman when they told stories from previous eras, as it made the book feel like there really was a legacy ... and I've truly enjoyed the one-shots in Iron Fist about Orson Randell. Perhaps they could do something similar with the P:S characters.

Personally, I'd like a little backstory on the characters to flesh them out a bit. If they simply had a back up feature reprinting select GA stories, that would be sweet ... or if they did what Stan Lee and Jack Kirby did when they re-intro Captain America in the '60's (which was basically re-tell GA stories anew), that would be cool as well.
    Hey,..... strong agreement with your points!!!
    Establishing a "legacy" with these characters just adds....to who they are... and what they are about. Reprints and "retellings" would be great!!
    Last edited by captainzero; 09-27-2008, 10:06 PM.

Leave a comment:

Guest replied
    I was thinking about the old/new stories debate from earlier in the thread, and thought there are two ways to handle this.

1) DE could reprint some of the older material (for us fans who've never read it) in a floppy form, say the way Marvel has with those two "the Twelve" specials (which had GA stories about the Flaming Mask, Rockman, etc).

2) They could use a Starman/Iron Fist "flashback" approach. I always enjoyed the stories in Starman when they told stories from previous eras, as it made the book feel like there really was a legacy ... and I've truly enjoyed the one-shots in Iron Fist about Orson Randell. Perhaps they could do something similar with the P:S characters.

Personally, I'd like a little backstory on the characters to flesh them out a bit. If they simply had a back up feature reprinting select GA stories, that would be sweet ... or if they did what Stan Lee and Jack Kirby did when they re-intro Captain America in the '60's (which was basically re-tell GA stories a new), that would be cool as well.

Leave a comment:

Guest replied
    Team ups and their uniqueness!!

Originally posted by comixfan1980
    I have never been a fan of "team-up" style books, I don't know what it is. I like characters appearing in other characters books and teaming up, but the whole "Marvel Team-up" style books I always disliked and avoided. Elseworlds tales I have always enjoyed and maybe someday we will get something like that.
    I agree with you, comix,... I have never been a fan of "team-up" style books, either.
    I'm not sure "what it is".... but, to me, it just didn't seem "real" that their stories would always be team-ups. I disliked "Marvel Team-up" too. And never bought them. Even the DC team-up book with Batman...Brave and Bold? I never, or seldom, bought.
    I did like it when some of the characters DID team up, though.(Like you.)

I really loved it when The Hulk appeared in FF #12, Flash and Green Lantern teamed together in each others books, Superman and Batman together... once in a while,.... but a constant team-up book, -- no way!! It takes some of the uniqueness away from bringing two heroes together to fight ... together.
    DC and Marvel have almost killed the "wonderfulness" of such meetings.

(I exclude Group books... Like early JLA, The Avengers, Doom Patrol, Teen Titans, etc.

I would love to see these SP heroes form a Group... "The Crimebusters" or whatever.... and have a small membership of 4 or 5 heroes to start with.)
    Last edited by captainzero; 09-13-2008, 08:50 PM.

Leave a comment:

Guest replied
    Originally posted by Glens46golden
    What I had in mind was maybe a new title called "Untold Tales of the 1940s" with teamups in issue #1 with the devil, Crimebuster and Silver Streak, #2 with Skyman, the Flame and Green Lama, #3The Black Terror, the Devil and V-Man, etc.
    Yea, I'd wouldn't mind that...

but I would also like to see some of those stories revolve around the 1940's covers.
    I've always wanted to know those stories ... and what was going on ... on those covers that had no stories on the inside.

Leave a comment:

• comixfan1980
    replied
    I have never been a fan of "team-up" style books, I don't know what it is. I like characters appearing in other characters books and teaming up, but the whole "Marvel Team-up" style books I always disliked and avoided. Elseworlds tales I have always enjoyed and maybe someday we will get something like that.

Leave a comment:

Guest replied
    Untold tales of the 1940s

What I had in mind was maybe a new title called "Untold Tales of the 1940s" with teamups in issue #1 with the devil, Crimebuster and Silver Streak, #2 with Skyman, the Flame and Green Lama, #3The Black Terror, the Devil and V-Man, etc.

Leave a comment:

• comixfan1980
    replied
    I would still like to see this done in more of a mini series format or an 80 page special. That way it does not just have to be a panel or two of rememberence, it could be a strong focus. I think an 80 page special would be better, they could model it all golden age looking with a cool golden age cover and golden age art.

Leave a comment:

Guest replied
    Remember the past... heroically

Originally posted by Glens46golden
    You hit the mark very close to where I come from. I'm probably more interested in stores from the 1940's than story taking place today. I would rather see the Devil, Crimebuster and Silver Streak stories told about these guys together in the 1940's than getting together today.
    Yeah, Glens...
    there is a certain "magic" about what the stories could be, isn't there.!?

I think.... and really hope... that some of those stories... those stories from the 1940's could be (re) told... to us... the readers.

The heroes could sometimes just get together ... and remember and reflect on the 1940's... the villains ...and the War ....and the situations they faced...
    you know,--- like any of us might have done had we saved the World from Nazi and fascist tyranny...
    a real "highlight" of ANYONE'S life....

I, personally, would love to see the heroes kick back and tell stories of (especially some of those wonderful Golden Age Covers where the heroes are teamed up and storming the beaches) their heroic adventures in defeating the Nazi Threat... and saving Freedom ... and Liberty... and Western Civilization from tyranny. It truly was a wonderful thing.

Maybe interrupting each other ...laughing ... and describing the adventure in some way that we hadn't understood before...from those covers.
    Who could resist the story about PyroMan, The Liberator, Doc Strange, the Black Terror, and Captain Future... from the cover of America's Best Comics #5... the five of them teaming up to bust-up an army of Nazis.

Or the four of them, The Black Terror, Doc Strange, the American Eagle, and PyroMan .... from ABC #8.??? As the heroes tear up Berlin Strasse'.

It could be done... and it could be done well. Alan Moore wouldn't have to do it.
    Geeeesh. I think it would be so "neat" to see those kinds of stories weaved into the telling of ... or reflecting back... on these heroes ... and their lives in the 1940's.

Glens,... I agree with you; "I'm probably more interested in stories from the 1940's than stories taking place today. I would rather see the 'Devil, Crimebuster and Silver Streak stories told about these guys together in the 1940's than getting together today."

And a very creative artistic team could do it in a really great way.

They could have "remembrance" of the stories of the 1940's look just a little different than the way the artist is drawing the contemporary story... through a variety of ways...reflecting how remembering may always be just a little different than how it "really was."

There are just sooooo many possibilities to these kinds of "parallel" story tellings. (A good writer could have the "flashbacks" enrich the present day stories ... a little like Kung Fu did. To make the present day story have a special depth of meaning.)
    It could be so fun in a variety of ways.
    Glens, ... I think your instincts are good on this. And I think there are a great many fans who might relish in these "1940 flashback tales". I know I'd would love to see them, too.

I think REAL comics fans have always wondered.... and wanted to see the stories that so many of those covers hinted at.

They could even "freeze frame" that panel of the story that "reflects" the cover and add dialogue or whatever. Ohhh, man, there are so many things they could do.
    Last edited by captainzero; 08-24-2008, 03:46 AM.

Leave a comment:

• comixfan1980
    replied
    Well, since they seem to want Project Superpowers to be a yearly 8 issue maxi series, after the next series for the third installment they could do the origin stories. But all in all they need to focus on getting some ongoing series for their characters. Project Superpowers 3 would be a cool way to introduce the origin stories. Each book could showcase 2 heroes or villains.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X